Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. 2004 w locked tranny. Brake switch new. Depressing shift relaease only allows shifting into N or R with alot of effort. Will not shift into either of the drive modes no matter how hard I try. I'm afraid I'll break the shifter if I push any harder than I am. Shift release solenoid tests fine, depresses when current applied to it. I am depressing the brake pedal when attempting to shift but no dice. Any suggestions

·
Registered
20 Posts
there is a chance that it's not a tranny itself but the shifter cable (not sure the proper name for it but somebody here can provide it) . Was the car sitting for some time ? How did it happen ?

PS there is a lock release by the shifter . Did u try shifting with it pressed? Does it make any difference?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Is the car throwing an OBD code?

I would suggest trying what tuktuk said - push the shift lock release and see if you can shift the car.

Also, you mention a new brake switch - did the problems start when you installed it? Are you sure it's actually working?

The shift lock circuitry and mechanism are pretty complicated - do you hear a relay by the driver's right knee kicking in when you press the brake switch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts