Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know where the automatic transmission solenoid can be found on a 02' model? My dad and I are pretty sure this is the cause of my problems I've been having with my transmission and torque converter not locking up correctly when I drive it at highway speeds - this cars are known for electrical issues (not to mention faulty transmissions). The transmission seems to be fine - I changed the fluid and it looked brand new with no burning smell or any metal specks or anything in it, so the transmission doesn't appear to be going bad.

We've found online that this solenoid (actually there are two) can go bad and cause the problems we seem to be having, the only problem is that no one can tell us where the darn thing is located in the engine compartment so we can check it.

ANY help would be much appreciated - we've been trying to find it for the last week with no luck, and I'm supposed to be moving to TX but don't want to have problems during the 7 hour drive.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am in the same boat! Tranny works like new with exception of no lock-up at freeway speeds (and code P0741). I too want to replace the solenoids first. They are located on the front of the tranny, right butt up against the radiator fans, almost. That's all I know, but still... I'd like to know more details. I wonder if anyone ever did this and can give us more specifics. Like which solenoid controls the lock-up of the torque converter, since there are two? Do both have to be replaced? And whatever other info might help in doing this repair.

·
Registered
443 Posts
thanks NewMDX.... yeah, I saw that pic already (thanks a lot BTW), but it kinda leaves a lot to be desired. Those drawings are far from clear, plus apparently there are two solenoids not one... Arrghh...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just follow the radiator hoses to the engine. Use the radiator hoses and the starter as your reference point.

Yes, there are two solenoids in that area. The TC lockup solenoid is the one closer to the firewall while the other one is called the "Shift Solenoid B," and don't ask me what the heck it does. I only scan straight from the service manual.

To get to that area, I believe you would have to remove the intake hose between the air filter and the throttle. You would definitely have to remove the radiator hoses too because those beasts sit right below the hoses and there is no visibility and no room whatsoever.

Jenjoy,

If you decide to tackle this, please take a few pictures along the way so the rest of us would know how to deal with this problem later on.

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
OK, that is some excellent info... now, you are tempting me to do it... Might be really easy if you're saying they're on top... I thought they were hard to access on the front of the tranny near the rad fans...

BUT, when I was replacing my tranny temp sensor a year ago... I ran into huge trouble. The darn thing broke into pieces in my hands when I was about to pull it out of the tranny. Had to get a super long drill and drill through it through the driver's wheel-well.... Horrible operation but I managed. I am afraid the same might happen to the solenoid...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just follow the radiator hoses to the engine. Use the radiator hoses and the starter as your reference point.

Yes, there are two solenoids in that area. The TC lockup solenoid is the one closer to the firewall while the other one is called the "Shift Solenoid B," and don't ask me what the heck it does. I only scan straight from the service manual.

To get to that area, I believe you would have to remove the intake hose between the air filter and the throttle. You would definitely have to remove the radiator hoses too because those beasts sit right below the hoses and there is no visibility and no room whatsoever.

Thanks
Does the shop manual provide any additional info or that's it?

I also wonder if you know which solenoid I need to buy (specific part #). The guy at the parts dept did not know, he gave me this.. attached (hope the forum will not compress it and make it unreadable).

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Why are you buying the solenoid before measuring the resistance or checking the movements of the plunger?

You need to do both. If the solenoid is OK, replacing it will not fix your problem.

At any rate, that's all the information I can get from the service manual (which is for '01-02 MDX). There is no mention of part numbers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Because I have no idea how to test the resistance anyway, not my forte....

The tranny shop told me that since they are only 85 bucks, might as well put a new one in if I have the old one out. I kind of concurred....

My tranny temp sensor went bad a year ago so I am somewhat positive that my tranny is OK mechanically and the solenoid is my prime suspect...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yogi,

The transmission for the '03 looks to be a completely different from that of the '01-'02 transmission, even though the TC lockup solenoid is still in the same general area.

As far as testing, just hook up a meter between the two terminals on the solenoid and measure the resistance. The '03 solenoid might have a different specs, but if you put 12V on it you should hear a click and see the plunger move.

Here is the link for the '03 transmission

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

And here is the link for the '01-'02 transmission

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. '04 MDX. Shifter locked in park. Push in shift lock release and struggle to shift into R and N. Will not shift past N w shift lock release engaged. Will not shift at all with shift lock release not engaged. Fluid level is fine. Changed out brake pedal switch but no dice. Any ideas? Thank you for your time

·
Registered
121 Posts

Hi everyone. '04 MDX. Shifter locked in park. Push in shift lock release and struggle to shift into R and N. Will not shift past N w shift lock release engaged. Will not shift at all with shift lock release not engaged. Fluid level is fine. Changed out brake pedal switch but no dice. Any ideas? Thank you for your time
Should probably start your own thread for this to get more visibility.
Did you check the fuse in the box under the hood?

Mine blew for some reason and had to replace it. But, the manual shift lock release worked for my wife when she was stuck at the mall with the X not wanting to shift and I walked her through the process. She got it home, I replaced the fuse and was good to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any updates on the solenoid fix? I have the same issue with a 2004 MDX (code P0741) and was wondering if the solenoid did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts