Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LKAS on a 2016 MDX tech stops working within a few seconds of turning on wipers. If I turn off wipers, even in the rain LKAS detects the lanes and functions. But in auto wiper or manually on, if the wipers are sweeping LKAS turns off. Nothing in manual or web search said that this is by design. Does your lane keep assist work with wipers on for other owners.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Actually the manual does clearly state that the awp functions are not designed for use in conditions other than clear.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Neoshi is right. Lane line recognition won't be possible in bad weather, fog, rain, snow covered roads or missing lane line markings. As a safety/liability feature it deactivates once the multipurpose/rain sensor determines non safe conditions for the system to function accurately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is AWP? Looked in manual again said she nothing about weather and LKAS. I understand if weather is so bad and it can't detect lanes, but as I said LKAS works fine in rain, if I turn off wipers, I can't see out windshield, but LKAS is locked in. It's only when I turn wipers on it seems to turn off. I'm asking does LKAS keep working for you if you have wipers in auto mode and wipers are running?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wipers set to LO/HI positions will suspend LKAS.
Wipers need to be set to AUTO position for LKAS to operate. It can also operate in MIST and intermittent settings.
If the system detects the wipers go to LO/HI positions it will turn off LKAS, once wiper switch is back to AUTO the driver has to reactivate the LKAS. It will not activate by itself.
Keeping the wiper setting in AUTO all the time will have LKAS operating without interruption. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Awp is our safety equipment package. Owners manual page 400 (2016 mdx version 2) LKAS Conditions and Limitations. Page 394, the LKAS info page also alludes to it.

Around here, we drive 80-85 during clear conditions and I get enough LKAS errors on freshly painted highways that I'm pretty sure it wasn't design for higher speeds either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wipers set to LO/HI positions will suspend LKAS.
Wipers need to be set to AUTO position for LKAS to operate. It can also operate in MIST and intermittent settings.
If the system detects the wipers go to LO/HI positions it will turn off LKAS, once wiper switch is back to AUTO the driver has to reactivate the LKAS. It will not activate by itself.
Keeping the wiper setting in AUTO all the time will have LKAS operating without interruption. Hope this helps.
Currentdraw, so lkas keeps working for you if its raining and wipers are in auto mode? For me as soon as auto wipers turn on, lkas disengages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should also note, auto wipers did not work at all when new, just took it into dealership to fix. Apparently factory didnt remove plastic protective film from rain sensor. Great acura quality, huh?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Haha oy.. Alabama QC strikes again.

One thing to note that yes, LKAS does function with AUTO because it wipes only when necessary (the computer can compensate for non-frequent wipes), but one should not be driving using LKAS during wiper use because adverse conditions such as rain, snow, etc can increase suddenly, causing LKAS to shutoff suddenly. While we all know we should be hands on the wheel during LKAS, there are always times when people become complacent and trust these systems more than they should. Just remember that even a dirty windshield can affect LKAS (you would get similar errors, where it calls for hands on) because it's just a camera and computer recognizing lines.

One thing to keep in mind is also that LKAS can malfunction just because of a tweaked camera position. There is TSB out for that because during factory install there have been units installed off angle. So if they removed the plastic after you bought it, there is a chance they affected the positioning of that camera.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts