Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 MDX that has been a great car, and really easy to work on. Lately I keep getting intermittent LKAS failures on start up showing lane assist and collision detection are offline. It does not happen all the time, but it is becoming more frequent. I have done a lot of research online and cannot find out where I need to start troubleshooting to find out what the issue is and get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
661 Posts
Clean the top part of your windshield. Worked for me . There was decal on mine up there and residue needed to be cleaned off thoroughly.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Any changes to windshield area? New windshield, cracks/stars on windshield, dirty windshield inside and/or out, new decals/stickers, dash cover or items left on dash?

I think those systems use the camera in the housing above the rear view mirror. You could have something blocking the camera view, something on dash reflecting off the windshield, or camera having intermittent failures like overheating sitting in the sun before the cabin can cool down once you start driving. Either way, you might have to take it to the dealership to diagnose to at-least see what the damage is to fix if you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm pretty sure the LKAS and Collision Warning System actually use two different devices. The LKAS should be the camera at the top of the windshield as it uses lane markings to determine if you are in a lane or not. The Collision Warning System uses a radar type sensor that is in the front grille or bumper area. I never had an issue with the Collision Warning sensor that was behind the bumper cover on my '16 Explorer except when driving in the winter and snow/slush/ice built up on the bumper. On the '16 MDX it is located slightly to the passenger side of the "A" emblem in the center of the grille behind the solid silver bar portion of the grille. Any chance there is road grime built up on this area?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm pretty sure the LKAS and Collision Warning System actually use two different devices. The LKAS should be the camera at the top of the windshield as it uses lane markings to determine if you are in a lane or not. The Collision Warning System uses a radar type sensor that is in the front grille or bumper area. I never had an issue with the Collision Warning sensor that was behind the bumper cover on my '16 Explorer except when driving in the winter and snow/slush/ice built up on the bumper. On the '16 MDX it is located slightly to the passenger side of the "A" emblem in the center of the grille behind the solid silver bar portion of the grille. Any chance there is road grime built up on this area?
I agree with you. My owners manual says CWS uses short range radar, LKAS uses a camera to detect lane markings.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
You also have forward collision warning that uses the top mounted camera. Acura watch uses both the radar based ACC/CMBS and camera based FCW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.