Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
What year is you MDX? My new 16 MDX doesn't make a sound like 14 MDX did. They made the steering wheel pulse and lights on MID in gauge cluster.. hopefully is is what you're looking about.. I had same question..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 17 MDX with Tech it only tries to applies pressure on steering wheel no beep for LKAS .
Looked in the manual on LKAS didn't see anything about LKAS beeping ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
No beep on the '17s, I just traded my '14 for a '17 and that was one of the features I went back to the dealer to find out how to enable it, it also used to work at slower speeds, now it does not come on until 45mph.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
No beep on the '17s, I just traded my '14 for a '17 and that was one of the features I went back to the dealer to find out how to enable it, it also used to work at slower speeds, now it does not come on until 45mph.
LKAS used to work at lower speeds? Are you sure? It's been 45mph+ for as long as I know... even says so in the 2014 MDX manual. I think you are mixing up the LDW speeds, which did change, on the 2016+. Also, you shouldn't be using LKAS on anything but the freeway anyhow.

Also a few points to keep in mind:
LDW works to alert you when you unintentionally cross a lane marking by giving audible (2014/2015), tactile (2016+), and visual alerts. You get the MID warning and in the 2014/2015, beeping, but in the 2016+ you get steering wheel vibrations. Action is required by you to correct. It works between 40 and 90 mph on the 2014/2015, 45-90 mph on the 2016+.

LKAS works between 45 and 90 mph (so you will get LDW warning you first between 40-44 mph if both systems are activated on the 2014/2015), and will give you beeps in the 2014/2015, rapid vibrations to the steering wheel in the 2016+, and a visual warning when it detects drift along, but also tries to keep you in the lane.

Hope this clears it all up for you all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
LDW works to alert you when you unintentionally cross a lane marking by giving audible (2014/2015), tactile (2016+), and visual alerts. You get the MID warning and in the 2014/2015, beeping, but in the 2016+ you get steering wheel vibrations. Action is required by you to correct. It works between 40 and 90 mph on the 2014/2015, 45-90 mph on the 2016+.
I think LDW will steer it for you:

"If your vehicle is getting too close to detected lane markings without a turn signal activated, the system, in addition to a visual alert, applies steering torque and alerts you with rapid vibrations on the steering wheel, to help you remain within the detected lane."

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I think LDW will steer it for you:

"If your vehicle is getting too close to detected lane markings without a turn signal activated, the system, in addition to a visual alert, applies steering torque and alerts you with rapid vibrations on the steering wheel, to help you remain within the detected lane."
Hmm is that from the 2017 manual? That's the language I have in the 2016 manual for LKAS but in LDW specifically says that it "only alerts you when lane drift is detected" and that this lets "you know that you need to take appropriate action." I haven't been able to download the recent copy of the 2017 manual lately. Acura "updated" it on the website, but it just points to a dead link for me for the last couple of months. I have a feeling that they've been doing away with LDW with a gradual replacement with LKAS; moreso in 2017 because AWP is now standard on all vehicles vs the old style where Techs had some, AWPs had almost all, Advance had all.

In the 2017 owner's guide, it says the same language as the 2016:

Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Alerts you if the system detects a possibility of your vehicle unintentionally crossing over detected lane markings while driving between 45–90 mph (72–145 km/h).

If your vehicle is getting too close to detected left or right side lane markings without a turn signal activated, the system provides visual and tactile alerts.

A Lane Departure message appears on the MID, and the steering wheel vibrates. Take appropriate action to stay within your driving lane.
Maybe Acura is mixing up their language? I did find some weird errors in the 2017's manual when it was first released, including printing speeds in metric system rather than imperial for the US market. OH yeah and the recommended oil is now 5w-30 instead of 0w-20!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LDW will vibrate the steering wheel and will display message in MID . It didn't steer the car back.
LkAS is recommended for highway drive and it will only work if the lane marker are solid in MID .LKAS needs to be turned on everytime car starts by using the button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmm is that from the 2017 manual? That's the language I have in the 2016 manual for LKAS but in LDW specifically says that it "only alerts you when lane drift is detected" and that this lets "you know that you need to take appropriate action." I haven't been able to download the recent copy of the 2017 manual lately. Acura "updated" it on the website, but it just points to a dead link for me for the last couple of months. I have a feeling that they've been doing away with LDW with a gradual replacement with LKAS; moreso in 2017 because AWP is now standard on all vehicles vs the old style where Techs had some, AWPs had almost all, Advance had all.

In the 2017 owner's guide, it says the same language as the 2016:

Maybe Acura is mixing up their language? I did find some weird errors in the 2017's manual when it was first released, including printing speeds in metric system rather than imperial for the US market. OH yeah and the recommended oil is now 5w-30 instead of 0w-20!
I think I see the discrepancies.

There're two books from Acura: Owner's Guide and Owner's Manual

The quote I got was from Owner's Manual's RDM section. In the Owner's Manual, it only mentions RDM but not LDW.

In the Owner's Guide, it mentions both LDW and RDM, where you got the quote from. However, the button to disable RDM and LDW look to be the same? On Acura's web site, they do list RDM and LDW seperately.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I think I see the discrepancies.

There're two books from Acura: Owner's Guide and Owner's Manual

The quote I got was from Owner's Manual's RDM section. In the Owner's Manual, it only mentions RDM but not LDW.

In the Owner's Guide, it mentions both LDW and RDM, where you got the quote from. However, the button to disable RDM and LDW look to be the same? On Acura's web site, they do list RDM and LDW seperately.
In the Manual, go to the Visual Index and click on LDW to get to the LDW section. RDM same process. LKAS is on the next page, but same process. Yes, LDW and RDM do share the same symbol and button if equipped.

Ok so there's three systems working in conjunction here:
1) LDW - on/off via console switch on left side, default on?; only a warning system about lane drifting
2) RDM - on/off via console switch on left side, default on? This used to be always on, but we now have an on/off button; detects objects and lane markings and is supposed to uses the LKAS' active steering to get you back in the lane (at least it's marketed this way on the RLX!). Does not actively steer until lane exit is detected. Also brakes when you don't respond to solid lines.
3) LKAS - requires you to turn it on each time and actively detects lanes only and steers you within them continuously.

So the systems pretty much work hand in hand with each other and confuses owners as to what is actually doing the work at the time! Acurazine sees the RDM as a passive aggressive LKAS with more object detection ability and braking ability, LKAS as your stay in the lane drive for you system, and LDW as just the backseat driver who specializes in lane drifting detection.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In the Manual, go to the Visual Index and click on LDW to get to the LDW section. RDM same process. LKAS is on the next page, but same process. Yes, LDW and RDM do share the same symbol and button if equipped.

Ok so there's three systems working in conjunction here:
1) LDW - on/off via console switch on left side, default on?; only a warning system about lane drifting
2) RDM - on/off via console switch on left side, default on? This used to be always on, but we now have an on/off button; detects objects and lane markings and is supposed to uses the LKAS' active steering to get you back in the lane (at least it's marketed this way on the RLX!). Does not actively steer until lane exit is detected. Also brakes when you don't respond to solid lines.
3) LKAS - requires you to turn it on each time and actively detects lanes only and steers you within them continuously.

So the systems pretty much work hand in hand with each other and confuses owners as to what is actually doing the work at the time! Acurazine sees the RDM as a passive aggressive LKAS with more object detection ability and braking ability, LKAS as your stay in the lane drive for you system, and LDW as just the backseat driver who specializes in lane drifting detection.
In the 2017 OM, there's no LDW under Visual Index. There's only RDM.

And if LDW and RDM share the same button, how can you enable/disable only one but not the other?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
In the 2017 OM, there's no LDW under Visual Index. There's only RDM.

And if LDW and RDM share the same button, how can you enable/disable only one but not the other?
Ah then LDW got axed in 2017. Makes sense since AWP is on all vehicles now. They really only a separation before because AWP was an option. So that 40-44 mph range of alerts no longer exists at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
BUT they should really revise the Owner's Guide then to omit LDW as well... Can you make sure LDW isn't near page 380 in that vicinity where the rest of RDM LKAS etc are?

·
Registered
186 Posts
BUT they should really revise the Owner's Guide then to omit LDW as well... Can you make sure LDW isn't near page 380 in that vicinity where the rest of RDM LKAS etc are?
I am sure it's not there. I searched the keywords and cannot find LDW section. You can download the manual from acura.ca. I see the acura.com states the revised version is from Aug, but the acura.ca link seems to be the June edition.

Again on Acura.ca it lists both LDW and RDM, but acura.com doesn't list LDW.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So LKAS will beep only when it cannt detect the solid white lines
LDW will tuck the steering wheel . Can LDW also beep ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts