Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to Wal-Mart today and decided to use Sport (S) mode plus shifter. Something strange happened. Gear 1 to 4 was fine, but 5 and 6 were strange. By strange I mean the car stucked at 2000 RPM and speed at 60 MPH. I floored the accelerator, nothing changed. When I returned, I used D mode and everything was normal. Is the car telling me something bad is lurking?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Limp mode doesn't affect shifting, it affects maximum RPM..
If it is a Trans Limp mode the Green "D" in the dashboard should be blinking..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see anything blinking or any lights. It seemed like the engine did not respond to the throttle. If it is transmission issue, the rpm would spike, right?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That will only happen if the trans is toasted (Clutches completely gone) but usually Limp Mode refers to a state where the engine will not REV past 5K like it was in Park.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
About 4 years ago, my RDX behaved the same way when the solenoid for the i-vtec switchover failed. I was able to "limp" over to the dealership to replace under the powertrain 6/70,000 mile warranty. It felt like the hp was cut in half, sh-awd restricted, and the dash was like x-mas lights.

It took my dealership about 4-5 days (and over a weekend) to fix. They did give me a 2nd gen MDX as a loaner and that was when I started to really consider one to add to the stable.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will only happen if the trans is toasted (Clutches completely gone) but usually Limp Mode refers to a state where the engine will not REV past 5K like it was in Park.
Good to know. I'm glad I didn't experience that yesterday.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrGold35, that is scary (financially). My situation was little different as I was in full manual mode and there was no obvious warning lights. I think vtech is okay because on my return trip, I was on D mode and revved past 5K rpm merging into highway. Whatever the symptom was, it made me not sleeping well at night. I mean I have not fully recovered from last year ADS replacement. I just don't want another major problem creeping up on me in succession. I've been thinking trade in lately.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Which year and trim package do you have?
I went over to truedelta dot com and found several tranny remedies.

Have you had any recent work done, to the MDX?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which year and trim package do you have?
I went over to truedelta dot com and found several tranny remedies.

Have you had any recent work done, to the MDX?
2011 Adv/Ent. There was no major work done to it except changing air filter (oem) and replaced PCV valve about two weeks ago. The tranny seems/feels fine. it is very smooth shifting up and down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts