Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it going?

im putting a trailer hitch on my 2006 MDX

the only things im going to use it for currently are a bike rack and a basket to move a snowblower around in. obviously only 1 of these things would be in use at a time.

the bike rack carries 4 bikes, and the snowblower plus the basket weigh less then 300 lbs combined.

i dont think i need to install the atf or steering coolers for such light duty use, do i?

as long as im writing, has anyone used the uhaul hitch? thats the one im planning on getting. how is it?

also, does anyone have any recommendations about a basket to put in the trailer hitch to carry the snowblower?

thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I once mounted a basket designed for more weight than my dirt bike weighed (300-400 pounds as I recall). Slapped it on the Jeep, and headed to Colorado. By the time I got there, it was sagging a lot, even though I'd bolstered it with turnbuckles to the rear bumper. I ended up running a strap from the top of the rear hatch around the bike and basket to take some of the weight, and got there OK (sweating as I watched more and more of the dirt bike become visible in the rearview mirror as it leaned further and further out). But mine WAS an El Cheapo (tm) basket - I'm sure they make Class 3 baskets that are stronger than that, and at any rate, make sure your hitch can handle the load (the static weight is one thing - hit a big bump and the load can be a LOT more than the weight of the basket + snowblower).

And no, you don't have to worry about stressing the transmission in either scenario - the car won't be under enough extra load to notice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts