Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a lift kit or leveling kit on their MDX any suggestions on a brand or link to a kit that would work ? nothing extreme

·
Registered
432 Posts
ReadyLift makes a kit for the Pilot. It would work for the MDX, not sure if anyone has done it and posted. I considered it for my MDX as I regularly drive on the beach, I just don't think that the lift would give $700 worth of extra capability.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For me, it would be when the ruts on the beach from camper trucks get so deep that I scrape the belly pan on the sand. A little extra lift and some 31" diameter tires would prevent this.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
31" tires would only give you 1" more clearance, and might have issues clearing the fender liners or suspension (depending on the width and wheels you use). I've always thought about mounting my Jeep's 31" wheel/tire combo on my MDX, mainly just to see what it looked like...

And remember that the handling of the vehicle will probably be compromised with a lift - something you'd have to live with 99.9% of the time you're not driving on the beach. It's just difficult to get any real lift on something that is built with fully independent suspension - the limitations are just built into the vehicle, and are hard (read "expensive") to overcome unless you're really talking about just an inch or so of lift (not likely to make a lot of difference in your case).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here is a Pilot with 2" lift and 31" tires

If I was 10 years younger, I would do the lift. Now I have realized that it is better to save and buy the right vehicle with the right equipment instead of trying to make a vehicle into something it is not. I do value on road performance more than hitting my head on the tailgate and scraping through the sand in order to get to my favorite fishing and surfing spot.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yes, I agree that "the right tool for the job" is the right answer. I'd be concerned about the drive axle angles on a 2" lift - those axles aren't all that long, and cranking in 2" of additional slope would mean that they're running at an angle that they weren't designed for (full-time, that is). You might get away with it, but CV axles are kind of a weak spot in a drive train anyway, and they're certainly going to wear out sooner with a 2" lift, and you might get unusual vibrations (or not). It seems that your downward suspension movement would be pretty limited with a lift, too.

FWIW, here's how I dealt with the issue...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
FWIW, here's a link to a video showing a 1st generation MDX off-roading. It's clear that the drivetrain provides lots of traction in sloppy conditions (the first 40 seconds of the video). It's also clear that this vehicle was never meant to be used off-road (the rest of the video). ;-) In my Jeep, this would have been a 30 second, boring video. ;-)

·
Registered
278 Posts
My house is on a gravel road with plenty of nasty holes and the 8" it has is plenty for my case. I won't be hitting the ground like I did with my old audi that had some 4.6 clearance lol. One thing I miss about the audi are the gas shocks, not once did they get bottomed out, if at all possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
More pics on ig: scphotomedia

Vehicle:

2012 Acura MDX 3.7L V6 SH-AWD
w/Advance & Entertainment packages.

-------------------------
Suspension:

-OEM ADS/ADVANCE SHOCKS.

-Readylift 69-8020 for Honda Pilot Lift Kit:
Front: 2" Strut Spacers w/Extended Sway Bar End Links.
Rear: 1" Spring Spacers w/Adjustable Upper Control Arms.

-WAP 17mm Adjustable Strut Adjustable Cambolts.

-Tema4x4 2"/50mm Rear Spring Spacers for Acura ZDX.

-Timbren HROD2 Rear Extended Bumpstops.

Rack:

-OEM Roof Rails.

-Thule 450 CrossRoads Rail Mounts.
-Thule 2x 65" Square Load Bars.
-Thule Force Alpine Cargo Box.
-Thule Force XL Cargo Box.

Hitch:

-OEM 5,000/500LBS Tow Hitch w/wiring harness.

-Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Spare Tire Center Mount w/license plate relocate kit.

-Thule Spare Me 2-Bikes Mount.

-X-BULL Recovery Traction Tracks.

Lighting:

-DDM Tuning 48W LED 5" Flood Light Pods.
-DDM Tuning 55W HID Lighting Kit.

Wheels/Tires:

-RTX Steel Wheels 18x8, 5x120, 64.1 bore, +40 offset.

-Falken AT3W 265/60/18-30.5" Tires.

Performance:

-K&N 33-2454 High Performance Intake Filter.

Miscellaneous:

-Removed front undercarriage plastics.
-Removed oem spare tire/wheel.
-Removed hood fabric.
-Removed engine cover.
-Added California State flag.
-Added Custom relay lighting harnesses.
-Added rear privacy black curtain.
-Added OEM all weather floor mats.
-Added OEM rear trunk cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stepped in to read about lift out of curiousity. I do not feel like the MDX is the right vehicle for off-road. I mean, it's cool, yet is definitely not for mud and rocks. And it's high engough to be a daily driver. Now, if you lift it by 2 inches, will it still be convenient to get in and out every time?
I mean, I do not want to sound rude or mean or something, folks. Yet imo that's kinda expensive mod J

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow how much did it cost you total? I was thinking of getting bigger fatter tires to lift the car just about 1" the road to my house is a long gravel road and it's in pretty bad shape but the county isn't going to fix it for a while. Looking at buying a larger vehicle like a Silverado or a suburban/Yukon xl but not finding many for sale in the seattle area, everything is also so overpriced

·
Registered
869 Posts
FWIW, here's a link to a video showing a 1st generation MDX off-roading. It's clear that the drivetrain provides lots of traction in sloppy conditions (the first 40 seconds of the video). It's also clear that this vehicle was never meant to be used off-road (the rest of the video). ;-) In my Jeep, this would have been a 30 second, boring video. ;-)
I wonder if the upbeat music is to mask the steady stream of cursing from the driver?

Speaking of which, that driver is sitting in the passenger seat, and that's obviously not a USA license plate. Australia?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stepped in to read about lift out of curiousity. I do not feel like the MDX is the right vehicle for off-road. I mean, it's cool, yet is definitely not for mud and rocks. And it's high engough to be a daily driver. Now, if you lift it by 2 inches, will it still be convenient to get in and out every time?
I mean, I do not want to sound rude or mean or something, folks. Yet imo that's kinda expensive mod J
Yes, MDX isnt meant for any crazy rock crawl/offroading... but it has done alot, and survived without any major damage. Check out my ig, and you'll see vids/photos of its tasks through the rough/muddy terrains

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow how much did it cost you total? I was thinking of getting bigger fatter tires to lift the car just about 1" the road to my house is a long gravel road and it's in pretty bad shape but the county isn't going to fix it for a while. Looking at buying a larger vehicle like a Silverado or a suburban/Yukon xl but not finding many for sale in the seattle area, everything is also so overpriced
Well, the most expensive part of the suspension/lift was the readylift kit. All parts fit, except the rear shock extender. It was about $600 in parts total... but i actually spent $1000 in parts/labor/testing combined.

However, for a SIMPLE/MINOR lift, i recommend just got with tema4x4's 30mm rear spring spacer for Acura MDX (3rd gen) and tema4x4's 20mm front strut spacer for Acura MDX (3rd gen). It should give u a solid 1" lift all around and allow you to fit 265/60/18 All terrain tires with some rubbing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts