Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Legality of only one plate varies by state. KY doesn't require the front plate, so my X came with a clean facia and the attachment option in the storage space.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
In Illinois it is required

"Is the front registration plate required on vehicles registered in Illinois?

Yes, the front registration plate is required on vehicles registered in Illinois. Both registration plates are required to be attached on vehicles registered in Illinois.

"

·
Registered
24 Posts
No Front plates needed in Alberta.

Didn't even get the front plate kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
front license plate not installed

I am in Vancouver. It is illegal not to have a front plate in British Columbia.

However I think that cars look better without. I have no plates on our GS-R or our MDX.

I just tell the COPS that I will put it on and they usually let you off.

Cheers.
J

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
In Oregon you need both front and back plates, but they don't really care. I was told this when I first moved to Portland 9 years ago and a cop downtown told me I needed both if I was moving to Oregon (I had a New York plate on the back at the time). I never installed them and since then, I've been pulled over a half dozen times in Oregon and Washington, and not one cop mentioned my missing front plate.

Of course, I carried the front plate and busted license plate frame in the trunk just in case :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Be careful, if you park your car in where it requires the front plate and you don't have it, you might get a ticket. This is one way they [The States] gain their revenue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Massachusetts you can have either a single (green plate) that only gets transferred from car to car and may be phased out in 2005 or two plates if you register a new car. There was a time when there were two green plates and people were supposed to return one, but some people just put it on another car, I can remember passing by a driveway in Boston where 2 cars shared the same plate - kinda stupid and illegal...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Front plates are required ...

... in Texas:3:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Massachusetts requires both red plates in order to get a state inspection sticker. We bought the MDX after my wife totalled her SUV in June; the front plate was lost in the accident. We filed lost plate papers with the RMV and still don't have the new one, but are carrying around an official RMV lost plate form (another money maker for Mass) in the glovebox. When we picked up the X, the dealer was not going to put an inspection sticker on it because of the missing plate, but after some discussion, they accepted the RMV form and put the sticker on. Still don't know when we'll have the replacement plate, I'm sure they're very busy in the State Prision, but haven't been stopped either.:1:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The first "modification" that I did as soon as I got home from the dealer is remove the front license plate on my MDX. I have done this on most of the cars that I previously owned. I think most cars, including MDX, have a cleaner look without the front plate.

Although California requires both front and rear plates, I got only one "fix-it" (no cost) ticket for not having the front plate. This happened approximately 15 to 18 years ago when I was pulled over for another non-license plate related reason. To satisfy ticket fix requirement, I put the front plate back on, had the ticket signed off by a police officer on the street, and promptly took it off again upon returning home.

I've had no problems driving without a front license plate ever since.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have the front license plates on both my '01 Acura TL and '02 Acura MDX. However, I don't know how long I am going to get away with it. My staff just got dinged in Santa Monica for not having the fronts.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So do you think I should put the front plate on????? It would be very risky for me in Vancouver :( but I don't really like a MDX with front plate. I think the position where they put it look soooooo ugly :mad: , I rather they put the upper screws above the lower grill.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Question?

Q: In those states that require a front license plate, is it the consensus of those members not using a front license plate, to just get away with it, and tell the police that you will put it back on if pulled over?

·
Registered
147 Posts
In California both front and rear are required although for a long time enforcement was ignored. However, many intersections in CA have now been and will be using video technology to ticket Red Light runners, speeders, etc. A camera mounted on a light post or the extension arm of the traffic signal post continuously videotapes as you enter and exit its field of vision.

Thus the front and rear views of your vehicle as well as a view of the driver will be available to law enforcement agencies at their headquarters. I saw a report on the news that says drivers caught violating such laws are sent a still image of the video frame showing proof of your violation and if you contest the proof, they will supply the courts a copy of the videotape during your appearance.

So how about a big smile for the camera. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Question?

EXCALIBUR said:
Q: In those states that require a front license plate, is it the consensus of those members not using a front license plate, to just get away with it, and tell the police that you will put it back on if pulled over?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Maybe . . .

As long as it's only a 'fix-it' ticket in California, I will continue to go plateless upfront . . . however the moment I get hit with an actual $ citation, you betcha the front plate goes back on . . .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts