Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to replace the lic plate bulb,,question is how to get to the bulb next to the back up camera..do i have to remove the camera if yes,how do i do that.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Search is your friend. Try 'camera bulb'. There should be instructions in some of those threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I replaced my license plate bulbs and i remember i only had to remove rear camera plastic cover then bend a black plastic enough to remove bulb.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I replaced my license plate bulbs and i remember i only had to remove rear camera plastic cover then bend a black plastic enough to remove bulb.
This is what I did. It's pretty tricky but it can be done. Just wrap the other side of the license area on the trunk lid with painter's tape so you don't get scratches from the dangling trim since you can't remove all of it due to the camera still being in place.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yup have to remove screws across the black plastic piece as well as the one in the camera, then remove the painted camera cover. You have to yank down on the plastic piece to get access to the license plate lights.

There's threads and pictures on this forum that can help you. It's not an easy task but I've done it twice now to place LEDs without incident.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
special thank's to all my fellow mdx's for your input and response..i got as far as replacing the bulb on the left..but i was looking for an easier way to install the other one next to the camera..i do not want to break the black plastic trim,i allready broke the bulb connector holder was not aware that you have to unplug and slide it out then reverse the steps to assemble it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The black plastic trim is connected with square clips that are pretty tough to free up. I started at the corners and pulled down in the middle near the camera.

The first time you pull down the plastic trim there will be a moment or two when you have passed your comfort zone, but then it comes out.

The owner's manual does not even list the process of changing the license plate bulbs, it simply says to go to your dealer. I guess there's a reason for that! :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already gotten the LED versions, you should do that so you don't find yourself in the same predicament again in the near future as LED's should last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts