Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't visited here for a while , but I wanted to share photos of WHY I'm replacing my '01 MDX with another one: 4 car pile up on the 5 Southbound at the Newhall pass - Hubby was 3rd in line and hit by an accelerating Dodge Ram pickup. Hubby walked away witha stiff neck but no other problems.

This is an incredible vehicle, and as awful as it is to see my Lady Lib green MDX in this shape - I'm buying another because I believe the design protected my loved one.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. The plan was to post the pics to the Gallery - I think they're there now. (This site has changed and grown a lot since my last experiences and I'm :confused: )

Please be patient with me - I'm in mourning!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
2 pics in there so far...you're doing fine. Glad your hubby's OK.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like you hubby's OK (er, bummer about the car, good about the hubby). Neck stuff can creep up on you, so I'm sure you already know to keep an eye on it.

Newhall Pass is getting more and more crowded. It won't be long before it's worse than Sepulveda. I don't see any relief in sight, but I won't B&M here about our state's sad future prospects.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Sorry to here about your misfortune Liberty. Glad your husband is OK.

The bad news when you replace your 01 with an 03 is that GG is no longer an option.

The good news is you will get a new MDX (03) with many improvements, added options, and more HP. That should help you get over the loss.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the empathy, everyone.
With just 25k miles, my GG '01 was perfect. Not a nick. Not a scratch. Well, not until last Monday night! I suppose we've made up for all those long walks in parking lots now!

I'm keeping an eye on hubby - I've insisted he visit his Dr. again, but so far, his testosterone level is outweighing my wifely reason. Maybe if I threaten to hide the Advil, I can convince him it's worth it to go back and get re-checked....

As for the replacement for my '01 GG - the funny thing is that I settled for Granite Green, because Valencia Acura, after 10 weeks of waiting, STILL hadn't received any Silvers back when I had MDX envy. And funnier still, I came to like the GG better than any other color - but I'll probably end up with a Silver since they don't make the GG anymore.

I'll admit I did go test drive the Pilot. There were some things I liked better (more headroom for tall hubby) and some things that were certainly nowhere as nice (general interior quality, fit, finish, and overall styling.) The overall engine and transmission seemed identical, right down to the gearing and shift points. It also seemed narrower, though I didn't compare actual stats.

Ultimately though, we're headed back to Valencia Acura to buy another MDX. Why? Because of the service and follow up we received. Hubby had our wrecked MDX towed there, and after the salesman saw him off that night, he called a night later just to check up and make sure hubby was okay. (I'm a small town girl, and that meant a lot to me - that fellow is getting our repeat business.)

Be careful out there everyone - and thank goodness you're all driving some really terrific machines.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Oh My! Take care of that hubby, hope he's doing well. Where exactly did this happen, on the Grapevine? Weather/road conditions, wet/dry/fog? I'm familiar with the area and would like to know location. Thanks, and stay healthy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accident occured in late afternoon (5pm) during dry conditions on the Southbound 5 at the Newhall pass (on the uphill just past Calgrove but before 405 interchange) in lane two.

A lady two cars ahead mistook her brake pedal for her gas pedal and slammed on the brakes in traffic moving about 50-60mph. The next car in line hit her. Hubby was next. He swerved and slowed to avoid, and was rear-ended by a big Dodge Ram pickup which then shoved him into the accident. Freeway accordians.

That's why we're all supposed to leave one car length for every 10MPH (wouldn't it be lovely if anyone actually would do that on SOCAL freeways?)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Liberty said:
That's why we're all supposed to leave one car length for every 10MPH (wouldn't it be lovely if anyone actually would do that on SOCAL freeways?)
In many of the traffic conditions the only way to do that is to keep going slower and slower until you're finally going about 5MPH. If enough of us did that (I'm not volunteering!) freeway shootings would probably make a comeback. The only workable solutions seem to involve more roads and/or fewer cars. Let's not hold our breath. :eek:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
jonnygoodboy said:
In many of the traffic conditions the only way to do that is to keep going slower and slower until you're finally going about 5MPH. ...
Sounds like I880, I80, and the Bay Bridge at rush hour... a parking lot...:D I wish traffic was moving at 5MPH!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hi Liberty - I remember you from back in the old days - glad to hear your hub's OK, those are some striking pix of your X - it looks like it did the job it was supposed to do!

I know you'll always have fond memories of Lady Lib I, but there's lots of great stuff on the '03 (you can really let us know if it's quieter!) - and - I just bet that silver will grow on you!

Good luck & best regards,
ghost

·
Registered
479 Posts
Lib:
Glad to hear hubby is OK. It looks like the MDX design met well the 'challenges' of the collision.

I join ghost in welcoming you back and also would encourage you to take lots of mental notes about how the '03 compares to your RIP '01. You may be one of the few who has spent that much time in an '01 before moving into an '03. I'm sure many here would be interested in your opinions on the difference rather than relying on the Acura propaganda and info from those who have only test driven both.

Happy Trails,
Traveller

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Liberty, sorry to hear about your other half....

Liberty said:
Accident occured in late afternoon (5pm) during dry conditions on the Southbound 5 at the Newhall pass (on the uphill just past Calgrove but before 405 interchange) in lane two.
........and my many condolences to your '01 GG .......like others, I too remember you on these forums........The bright side is, your replacement '03 MDX has so many new enhancements that make it sooooo much better, especially in how quiet they've made it.

Unfortunately, people in the United States (and specially here in SoCal) do not know how to drive properly like in Europe (specifically places like Germany)

and you're absolutely right about maintaining distance. If people followed this rule religiously, we would have less accidents, which would actually result in less congestion and clogging of the freeways. I always keep my distance, whether I'm going 80mph in the left most (fast) lane or doing 60mph in the right most (slow) lane, but someone almost always ends up squeezing into that space! ........And one can only dream of people adhering to lane discipline here :rolleyes: - Drivers are so crazy around here, that someone's always tailgating me when I'm doing 60mph in the slowest lane :3: and OTOH, I inevitably get stuck behind someone doing 55mph in the fast lane :rolleyes:

........and isn't that one of the primary reasons we all drive 4500lb SUVs??.....at least I know, I do. With all the crazies driving around here it basically boils down to: the "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Wow.. that was a BIG hit. Glad to hear your hubby is okey.

Hopefully you will receive the BIG pay check from the insurance company soon for your replacement 03 MDX.

Any plan for your 01 MDX? Maybe time to ebay items part by part. :2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having just bought my MDX, and parking it in the back of the parking lot, waxing and washing and cleaning it ( Ifeel more at home in it than I do my own house) - I am glad it will pull through on a bad crash. Glad your husband is OK. Here in New England there are 2 roads that are the most dangerous. I93 where tailgating at 85mpg is expected, and Route 128 which circles around Boston. This route 128 was designed by a fellow who must have been dropping ACID. The most accident prone road in New England. And it has nothing to do with the weather. Good luck with your new one, I'd get a brighter color though, silver is hard to see in the fog!
Caroline

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All:

Thanks for the continued kind words. Hubby is doing better - his back doesn't seem as stiff and he's walking more like homo-errectus at this point....

We also have had better than expected news from the insurance agency - it sounds as though we'll leave this mess more or less whole (as opposed to "in the hole") on the value of the X. Amazing, really how it has held it's value.

AND I have my name on the next neww SS that comes in. (There won't be a Sagebrush for another month, and I am already sick of the horrible rental I'm in for the time being.

I promise to carefully document the things I note as different and or improved, and I promise to share those bits of knowledge with all of you.

Thanks again AcuraMDXorg buddies! It really helped to share this with you.:4: :4: :4: :4: :4: :4:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
On a sidenote......

.........my brother bought his 2002 TL-Type S at Acura of Valencia from Scott (apparently he's still there)......nice couteous, friendly and helpful people!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts