Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.
It's a great day... finally got rid of my '01 MDX through a lemon law procedure.
It all started 21/2 years ago when I got my X on november 2001. I had to pay $2k over invoice to get the only one available or be put on a 5 month waiting list. Looking back I wish I had done the later or just not gotten it at all.
Three months later (january) 2002 the SRS light came up so I called the dealer to see what was it about. They told me to bring it rather soon because it meant that the restraint system (airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners) will not operate in case of a collision.
Upon reading the computer code they told me they would reset the SRS computer in hopes that this will be a one time problem and if it reocurred they will replace the airbag computer.
It reocurred 33 days after that and they only reset the computer once again (claiming replacing the computer wouldn't solve the problem).
So they had me coming back 7 times (the lemon law allows for 4 attempts) and even after the 7th time they did not replace a thing. "Resetting" was their way of dealing with a serius safety flaw.
On september 2001 (5th) time the service advisor wrote on the service order (fix will be out on october). On october 30th (7th) time they "reset" the SRS computer for the last time. I contacted Acura client services prior to the 5th failure and they did nothing. The only answer they had was "Fix will be out on october".
Once fed up with the airbag problems, transmission, suspension, front arm, and dirt cheap self-destroying interior components I filed a Lemon claim. Acura's first reply to my request for a voluntary replacement was NO and "It will cost you money to pursue this in court".
So as soon as the Attorney's General office notified Honda of my claim I got a call from Honda of America. Their rep was nice and apologetic and offered to replace the vehicle per Lemon Law guidelines.
On december 6 2002 he placed an order for a 2003 Sage brush pearl MDX that was to be produced on January 2003. I called about every week to follow up with the procedure and make sure that the right color was delivered and that any additional information they would need from me was available. The car came and went, the same dealership that screwed me up with the original purchase sold the replacement vehicle to someone else. Even when the paperwork on the car had my name on it! and the invoice was quite different since that car was owned by Honda of America. An honest mistake they said. It seemed like I gave them one chance to many to make it right. So I chose to have them repurchase the vehicle.
In dealing with Nissan, Toyota and Lexus togheter for the last 12 years I never had as many problems COMBINING ALL THE VEHICLES as I did with the MDX.
A friend of mine on the car bussines said they had to be crazy to screw someone of my age, as I have plenty of car buying ahead of me -he explained- and any other company would have gone to extremes in an attempt to develop customer loyalty towards the brand.
In my humble opinion Acura self invited itself to the Luxury Car segment without belonging or doing the things required to stay there.
Their "Luxury" is very superficial. Limited to the car's appearance. Everything thing else is Yugo-like. It's easier pulling teeth from a shark than getting customer service from them.
All in all I wouldn't recommend this car to a friend, reminds me of those poor daewoo owners that have no warranty since the company pulled out of the US market. In a way buying an acura is like that, the only difference is that Acura will go around their obligations and repeatedly screw the customer rather than call it quits.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I heard a worse nightmare story from a freind who had a lemon Mercedes! I lemoned one of my cars (hate to admit that it was an Acura, too!) and the story isn't quite as bad -- I think it's more the dealer than the manufacturer. I think you got screwed by your dealer, I didn't -- that's what makes the difference between our stories.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I heard a worse nightmare story from a freind who had a lemon Mercedes! I lemoned one of my cars (hate to admit that it was an Acura, too!) and the story isn't quite as bad -- I think it's more the dealer than the manufacturer. I think you got screwed by your dealer, I didn't -- that's what makes the difference between our stories.
I agree. From what I glean from the post everything could have been resolved early and correctly with a more proactive dealer. Maybe that can still be thrown on Acura for not reigning-in their dealerships.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Interesting...

with cars in general it has always been the dealer that is screwing the buyers.

Once a vehicle has continuous problems.... The dealer will take more hits financially than a manufacturer because the dealer cant resell the car. It has to be registered as a lemon with DMV. And the dealer will only get manufacturers credit on that car for the next round of vehilce orders from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lemon MDX

Just curious which Seattle area dealer you got it from? I bought mine from Bellevue and it was a totally marginal experience. Told me I had to give salesman 5's if I wanted to pay list. Sold me some accessories over list, until I went on the web.

I had a Lexus from Bellevue before MDX and nothing but praise for them, except that the RX 300 is half the car the MDX is. But new RX 330 is getting great pre-release press, so maybe I'll go back to Lexus, if only for the dealer experience.

Odd, I've had a lot of Honda products, outboards, lawn mowers and I currently own a Valkyrie motorcycle, all been totally positive experiences, as has the current MDX-just the "Yugo" like dealer experience to steal a phrase!:mad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Acura of Seattle. BTW Acura is the first car brand that I have seen the dealer blame the manufacturer and the manufacturer blame the dealer in response to customer complaints.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Not that I have any interest. . . always use a lawyer for lemon law claims.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi jeych, sorry to hear about your bad experience. :( Good work in sticking to your guns on your lemon. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood for my MDX. Good luck with your new vehicle!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not to 'rain on his parade' or 'kick him when he's down' or anything like that, but it seems to me that he could have, or should have, filed the lemon law claim many months before he did. I can't imagine why someone would drive a vehicle that had a safety issue -- park it at the dealer and tell them you don't want it back until it's fixed! Of course, if it wasn't a safety issue (e.g. just an electrical problem that didn't interfere with the operation of the SRS) then it was just an annoyance and I can see why he drove it so long with the hopes that it would eventually get fixed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
To be fair to jeych, he did give them a chance to correct the situation 7+ times. Sounds like he was being a nice guy and gave them every chance to correct something that they should have been able to resolve (the dealership). Unfortunately, the way they resolved it was losing a customer.

I would have been happy with corporate giving me the 2003, but when the dealer pulled a fast one, I definitely would let the corporate know that the dealership caused them to lose a current customer and any future business.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
Not to 'rain on his parade' or 'kick him when he's down' or anything like that, but it seems to me that he could have, or should have, filed the lemon law claim many months before he did. I can't imagine why someone would drive a vehicle that had a safety issue -- park it at the dealer and tell them you don't want it back until it's fixed! Of course, if it wasn't a safety issue (e.g. just an electrical problem that didn't interfere with the operation of the SRS) then it was just an annoyance and I can see why he drove it so long with the hopes that it would eventually get fixed.
Exactly, plus he company would have had to pay those all important attorneys' fees.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't jump the gun at the lemon law claim because like someone else said I was out to get the issue resolved and not to abuse the laws. At the 5th failure (first days of september) I called Acura corporate and told them to Fix it or else. They said they will have a fix on october so I waited for them. Everytime the light will came on I will drive to the dealership and they will give me this tiny loaner. If a 2 door compact vehicle will have suficed my everyday needs I would have bought such instead of the MDX. They will read the failure code (same everytime) and reset it, tell me if it happens again come back we will reset it again. (some of us actually have to work to make the car payments so it's kinda inconvenient to travel time and time again to the dealership because their expensive vehicle constantly fails and they don't know how to fix it. Acura Corporate kept telling the dealership to not replace anything!!! because they didn't have a Fix yet!!!. A year after i bought the Vehicle!!! So I was driving some sort of $38,000.00 Beta vehicle for a while or at least it felt like it. (I had a case number with corporate so I knew the dealership wasn't BSing me.). Which finally brought me to the conclusion that if Acura wasn't going to fix in a timely manner a Safety issue THAT COULD HAVE COSTED THEM MILLIONS IN LIABILITIES IF I GOT INJURED ON AN ACCIDENT what will they do to fix something less "compromising"???

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as the attorney's fees my brother in law is a lawyer. By law he had to send them a letter requesting a replacement prior to filing the lemon law claim and give them 40 days to reply. 52 days later they called me with a "We will not replace it" and "it's gonna cost you money to pursue this with a lawyer". Intimidation.... nice way to acomodate customers. Once the claim was filed I started talking directly to Honda of America. Nicer people in all fairness. Too bad one has to dig so deep to the point of dealing with the parent company to find some sort of class. Even worse that the dealer had to pull a fast one on the replacement.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
In my profession, and dealing with corporations, this is the gospel. . . . NOBODY RESPECTS PRO SEs.

:headshake

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Although we get a bad rap sometimes, filing an immediate claim under a law that was really your best protection. . . IMHO :2:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That is absolutely revolting!!! I do have a question when Lemon Laws are brought into action. Who ends up eating the cost of the vehicle?? Honda/Acura or the dealership. If it is Honda/Acura how could they let that happen?? To hear that the goddamn dealership sold the car with your name on the invoice is absolutely pathetic. I would be in there overturning tables looking for answers. Sorry if it had been answered but do you still have the 01 MDX?? If not did they give you a loaner?? I am sorry to hear that you have had the problems with your MDX. I understand that a perfect product cannot be pushed out 100% but for you to have to suffer because of something out of your control disgusts me. Good luck and let us know what happens. I know it has been documented once before but here goes again....

I HATE DEALERS!!!:3:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
laborlitigator...

originally posted by laborlitigator
Exactly, plus he company would have had to pay those all important attorneys' fees.
You wrote attorneys' instead of attorney's. So we should hire a team of attorneys just to process a lemon law case, should we?
:D ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They took the car back and I had to pay only for mileage. I am currently driving a friend's car until the VW Tuareg comes out in June. I wouldn't touch an acura product with a stick and to this date I have persuaded 4 or 5 friends/acquaintances not to buy the MDX. Acura corporate stinks and most acura dealers conduct business in an very unethical way. Acura will give you the used car lot experience while buying a new car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
jeych said:
They took the car back and I had to pay only for mileage. I am currently driving a friend's car until the VW Tuareg comes out in June. I wouldn't touch an acura product with a stick and to this date I have persuaded 4 or 5 friends/acquaintances not to buy the MDX. Acura corporate stinks and most acura dealers conduct business in an very unethical way. Acura will give you the used car lot experience while buying a new car.
You may want to be careful with the VW, they have had their own problems lately!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Jeych, I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. As rvehock mentioned, I would be VERY careful with VW.. VERY careful. I had a misfortune of owning a first year VW, which was top of the line at the time - VW Passat. That car was literally falling apart. I should have, but did not claim it as a "lemon". Funny thing was that the VW dealership was full of same year Passats with similar problems.

Anyway, good luck with the new car (SUV)!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts