Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer went through their routine inspection during the oil change (for oil consumption test) and found the left and right inner tie rod have some play and cost $750 to replace it. Good news is they found the culprit that caused the clunky sound over the potholes or bumps that I have been trying to find out for months.

The bad news is $750 for both and $120 for alignment! Should I bend over and pay up or Can this be replaced by yourself? And while I was there might as well get the engine air filter for $27, I know I am paying premium for parts for the convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Replacing inner tie rods is not a complicated task. That is an easy DIY project. Alignment is a must anyways. If you have not replaced the outer tie rods, I would replace them together to have a total rebuilt and one alignment.

·
Registered
474 Posts
so you would need to purchase a special inner tie rod tool lyle #45750 $65.00 and a set of Moog inner tie rod set $70.00 than just your labor. So potential savings $500.00. You could just purchase the Moog inner tie rods and get 2 quotes from other shops to install it and you will save probably 250.00-350.00 i would think. There are many videos on inner tie rod replacement it is not that overly difficult especially having the lyle tool just your time. Watch a video or two it is the same process for most vehicles.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the head up guys! That is my plan. Plan to watch some DIY YouTube and get some tips from the pro like you!

·
Registered
354 Posts
so you would need to purchase a special inner tie rod tool lyle #45750 $65.00 and a set of Moog inner tie rod set $70.00 than just your labor. So potential savings $500.00. ....
As an alternative, AZ rents an inner tie rod tool. You pay for a deposit, you get full refund when you return it. That is what I have done in all of my cars.

Also, plan to replace the rubber stoppers that go behind the inner tie-rods. Those are just a few dollars more.

Reactions: Wilsoncc

·
Registered
474 Posts
PRGonzales idea is even better! Disregard the Lyle Tool it is not the correct metric sockets. Some have found that the one they take off is larger diameter than the replacement so you might want to check after order part and measuring the heads. Also replacing outer isn't a bad idea while you are there as mentioned, even easier! AccuraAddicted post is of the outer tie rod end ,so easy. :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good! Yes I will replace both inner and out at the same time on both sides. Plan to do this in the spring or summer time but I want to prepare ahead

·
Registered
354 Posts
They are small rubber washers. Marked as Spacer - Acura part no 53535-S0X-A01.

They act as a bumper stopper when you fully turn the wheels L or R. If you start hearing metal sound when fully turning the wheels, it means the spacers are gone/destroyed.

Reactions: Wilsoncc

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer went through their routine inspection during the oil change (for oil consumption test) and found the left and right inner tie rod have some play and cost $750 to replace it. Good news is they found the culprit that caused the clunky sound over the potholes or bumps that I have been trying to find out for months.

The bad news is $750 for both and $120 for alignment! Should I bend over and pay up or Can this be replaced by yourself? And while I was there might as well get the engine air filter for $27, I know I am paying premium for parts for the convenience.

Literally this morning I fixed mine. And it had the same clunking your talking about plus it would clunk when downshifting sometimes. Mine was the passenger side.

I spent $45 on 1AAuto and get both sides inner and outer. Took that to pep boys and the job for both side inner and outer was 1 hour labor total. So i paid $118 for the install plus $77 for an alignment and it fixed all my problems. Steering feels a lot tighter too.

1a auto is cheap but my dad bought a whole front end kit for his maxima and has over 100k miles on the parts and so far so good. The maxima has 395k miles.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick question. Should I get the OEM inner and outer tie-rod set just to be safe for DIY. Thank.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quick question. Should I get the OEM inner and outer tie-rod set just to be safe for DIY. Thank.

I will be using the OEM. I bought them about one year ago and have them ready. The originals are not tight anymore, but they are not making noise either.

My logic is, if they has lasted over 142K miles, another OEM set should give me similar mileage.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be using the OEM. I bought them about one year ago and have them ready. The originals are not tight anymore, but they are not making noise either.

My logic is, if they has lasted over 142K miles, another OEM set should give me similar mileage.

My OEM tie rods started chucking around 90k miles and the clunking seems to get a little worse right now at 116k but not terribly bad, probably it can go for additional 20k miles.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My OEM tie rods started chucking around 90k miles and the clunking seems to get a little worse right now at 116k but not terribly bad, probably it can go for additional 20k miles.

another 20k miles.... wow

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Acura calls this INNER TIE ROD END? So they just going to replace this part only on both side for $750? It doesn’t sound like they will replace the INNER TIE RODS. It sounds more like they will only replace the OUTTER TIE RODS for that price. WTF. Good thing that I read the print out recommended repair. The service tech told me they will replace the inner tie rods and he wasn’t be specific.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Acura calls this INNER TIE ROD END? So they just going to replace this part only on both side for $750? It doesn’t sound like they will replace the INNER TIE RODS. It sounds more like they will only replace the OUTTER TIE RODS for that price. WTF. Good thing that I read the print out recommended repair. The service tech told me they will replace the inner tie rods and he wasn’t be specific.

Part in picture is outer tie rod not inner

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part in picture is outer tie rod not inner

Ok. That is good to know all I need is just the outer tie rod which is very easy to do yourself. But why the dealer want $740 just to replace the outer tie rod and plus $110 for alignment? they told me verbally the inner tie rods have some play but the paper documents said the INNER TIE ROD END REPLACEMENT.

These MF is so deceiving! The OEM outer tie rod is only $33 each. This is why I never take my car to the dealer except this time is for the oil consumption test.
Well at least I got a free multi-point inspection and they identified the problems need to be fixed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts