Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Leather / Vinyl Cleaning

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  m2pc 
#1 ·
Everyone has a favorite leather cleaner, like Lexol.

However, one should use the leather cleaner on leather, and a vinyl cleaner on vinyl.

The MDX seating surfaces on the first two rows are leather. But is everything on the door just vinyl? I assume the sides of the seats and backs are also vinyl.

#2 ·
door panel inserts

Pretty sure that there is leather on some of the door surfaces. I couldn't believe that some clueless couple was letting their "toddler" hop all over the seats and doors in the SOLD MDX this past Saturday. No wonder some dealers want people to make appointments for test drives...

Anyhow I was using a handkerchief to dust off the brats dusty shoe prints (maybe this will buy me some good karma this the Acura gods in the sky...)

Zymol makes a nice kit for leather: http://www.readyshopgo.com/areas/emmons/shopDetails.cfm?p=5644&cat=5

and a "conditoner" for vinyl too (I think they recommend plain old water or a citrus based cleaner for vinyl): http://www.readyshopgo.com/areas/emmons/shopDetails.cfm?p=5440&cat=5

#3 ·
I just conditioned all my leather seats, all the door inserts (yes there is is leather there) and the steering wheel this weekend.

I use MOTHERS leather conditioner. I think it cost about $6 or $7 dollars. Comes in a red bottle.

Good stuff.
Smells great too.
:D

http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html

I also use BACK-TO-BLACK by MOTHERS on all the black plastic pieces on my MDX. Like the bottom plastic door guards when you open the door, front end plastic grill, mud guards, piece of plastic on top of the rear bumber in front of the tailgate, plastic around the window wipers, etc....anything plastic and black. SWEET results !

#4 ·
Has anyone had the opportunity to clean saddle interior? I would have chose the darker interior if I could, but on Mahogany, saddle is all they offer. The driver's seat is starting to show some discoloration at 2100 miles. I'm thinking I may have to clean it and condition it at least once every 2 weeks.

How often does everyone else clean/condition theirs?

Also, I have noticed that the carpet around the foot rest is gettin' pretty dirty. I'll report back if my carpet spot cleaner helps (I have it for my area rugs in my house -- it's cheap and it has worked really well so far).

#5 ·
Hey guys, I have a question... My X is about 5 months old and I noticed that driver seat is getting "dirty". I think my black leather jacket is "bleaching" on the surface of the seat. And since the seat is saddle color it shows a lot. Same goes for an arm rest in between front seats. Had anyone experience something like that? What is a good product to remove this "coloring"? I run some searches and found some product to keep leather seats fresh, but could not find any mentioning of problem like mine...
Thank you.

#6 ·
I have tried several cleaners/conditioners, including Zymol, Mothers, McGuires and every time, I end up saying to myself that none are as good as Zaino. I have found Zaino to be far and away the best of the bunch for both leather and pleather.

#8 ·
Maik said:
I have tried several cleaners/conditioners, including Zymol, Mothers, McGuires and every time, I end up saying to myself that none are as good as Zaino. I have found Zaino to be far and away the best of the bunch for both leather and pleather.
Ditto. Funny, I just used their cleaner and conditioner this afternoon. Besides not leaving an oily residue, I like the smell:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.