Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Here are some products I've tried and some notes.

1. Meguirar's Gold Class Leather - The thickest and the costliest of the three.
2. Armor All Leather Care - Okay stuff but the chemically smell lingered on my hands for days...
3. Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner/Conditioner - Smells the best and the non-oiliest.

*All three products were easy to apply since they are cleaner/conditions all-in-one, but Meguirars and Armor All plugged up the little holes in leather. As someone suggested in another thread, I took the Shop-Vac to it and it took care of the plugged holes. Also, Meguirars and Armor All was very oily in that I left a handprint gloss on anything I subsequently touched. Turtle Wax Leather is more of a fluid as opposed to the pastiness of the other two. The amount of gloss and protectant characteristics were too hard to measure in that they appear to be similar.

Conclusion: Of the threee, I like the Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner/conditioner the best. Also, I used the stuff on the "pleather/leatherette" and it seemed fine.

I'll compare this stuff to Zaino once the group purchase goes through in January...

Years ago on a '89 Pontiac Grand Prix, I tried regular Armor All and WD-40 on the leather seats. Armor All will make you slide everywhere and WD-40... Well, let's just say that stuff is great for everything except leather seats. (I even rub some on when my knees when they ache...)

· Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, I hate that oily feel to some of the leather care products. It shines up the leather allrigh, but I don't like my butt (and my nice pants) buffing my greasy leather seats.

I use and recommend both Griot's and Zaino products. They are not greasy, absorb quickly and you don't have to worry about the perf holes in the seats getting plugged unless you go nuts and apply half the bottle.;)

They smell like leather, too and come in a cleaner and conditioner formula. I use the conditioner almost exclusively unless there are some stains on my leather.....the conditioner does double duty, picks up dust and dirt (as my cotton applicator will attest) and conditions the leather. One less thing for me to worry about.

You won't get a greasy shine :cool: but you know the stuff is working.

· Registered
33 Posts
dirty seats

I have an '02 MDX with 5600 miles. My seats are showing way too much dirt for this few miles. My dirt is NOT from blue jeans. I think mine is from leather jackets. I had a BMW 740i with light grey interior and no dis-coloration of the seats. I'm still wearing the same leather jacket!

:confused: So let me get this straight: we have to buy seat covers or watch what we wear, we have to GENTLY guide the seat belt back when we remove it so it won't kick the plastic side panel, we have to be careful how we sit on the seat so it won't wrinkle...IT"S NOT RIGHT I say!! And what MORON made the bumpers on the Mesa Beige black under the beige? Heck the first time I went to Costco someone hit my bumper with a cart. Scraped off the gold paint & the black underneath showed through. For $35,000 these SUV's are whimpy! Should have bought an Explorer! I have several friends with Explorer's and they do not have these problems. Wonder how much I could get as a trade in before the MDX looks like S&%$!
:3: :3:

· Registered
5,046 Posts
MDXplosion said:
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing their leather seats getting dirty and catching scuff marks easily?

I have the saddle interior and just recently my friends were in the car and they had on jeans and I guess they were bleeding ink and they marked the seats.....I guess that is expected...but then I notice that they get marked easily; i.e. my belt would leave me dark scuffs on the seats....I barely even move once in the seat!

has anyone else experienced this? I guess the resolution would be to stay on top of the seats and clean, and treat them regularly.....or just get seat covers (lamb vest?)
This is a common problem with the saddle leather interior. My wifes Maxima has the same problem and I have to clean twice as often to keep the same look as my black leather on my X. My daughter really does a job on the saddle leather, it shows every little thing. The blue jeans thing is a pain in the neck and eventually stops after the jeans have worn in, but when you buy a new pair there it goes again. That was why I would only consider the black leather for my SUV. Saddle looks great but to much maintaince for me, but I have to deal with high maintenance on my exterior being black also. Good luck.

PS - I use the Zaino and Lexol products and swear by them.

· Registered
299 Posts
Re: Re: Leather Seats: how they easily get dirty

paul123 said:

PS - I use the Zaino and Lexol products and swear by them.
I just got in my shipment of Lexol (cleaner, conditioner, neatsfoot leather dressing and vinylex). What recomendations do you have for each product? I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and I too am noticing wrinkles and smudges on the drivers seat. Do these products help smooth out and prevent the wrinkles over time? Do I also use these products on the leatherette? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leather Seats: how they easily get dirty

BklynMDX said:

I just got in my shipment of Lexol (cleaner, conditioner, neatsfoot leather dressing and vinylex). What recomendations do you have for each product? I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and I too am noticing wrinkles and smudges on the drivers seat. Do these products help smooth out and prevent the wrinkles over time? Do I also use these products on the leatherette? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm going to use the Lexol Produxts on the real leather and the Zaino or even Armor All for the leahterette. The Lexol really softens the seats and makes them feel great.

· Registered
299 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Leather Seats: how they easily get dirty

paul123 said:

I'm going to use the Lexol Produxts on the real leather and the Zaino or even Armor All for the leahterette. The Lexol really softens the seats and makes them feel great.
So what's leather in the car and what's not?

· Registered
699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leather Seats: how they easily get dirty

donsev said:

Ohh, if only it were that simple.

Are Leather Seats Really All Leather?
Thanks for the link. Every time I clean the car I think I should search for that info and it always escapes me by the time I get to a computer (a newly cleaned MDX is a good distraction :D ).

· Registered
291 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
I saw the same wrinkle in the lexus GS300

I had a chance to check out my friend's GS300 leather seat today. It is less than 8 months old and I saw the leather wrinkles everywhere not just the side of drive seat but all over the surface of all seats. My MDX is only 2 weeks old and I agree with you guys' obeservation on the seats that the wrinkle show up very early and bad. It doesn't look as bad as the my friend's lexus one though. I kinda think that this is a common problem to all the leather seats especially high quality one? The color my friend has is ivory or light gray. IMHO, I think my MDX interior looks better than the GS300 one.

Just my thought.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leather Seats: how they easily get dirty

BklynMDX said:

So what's leather in the car and what's not?
I use the Lexol on the front seats, the second row and my 2003 armrest. The rest of the vehicle I use Zaino or even Armor All products.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.