Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen discussions here and elsewhere about potential upgrade to the leather quality in 03. What's your take on the existing leather quality? Are all of you generally satisfied or is there definite room for improvement? $40K should buy very nice leather!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... How well is everybodys leather holding up? I had a Corvette with Perforated leather and the leather had a tendency to play "dot to dot" with the perforations creating creases. In very short order I had some pretty wrinkly seats. Does the leather in the MDX do that at all? Are you guys happy with the leather?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The saddle is too brown and not the typical tan on a lot of high end vehicles...at least that is my opinion. The RL has a nice shade of light tan leather (can't remember what they call it). I can live with it. Can't comment on the quality. MY guess is that quality will stay the same but color might change a bit or they will add a few more little faux pieces on the door panels (slight change in look).

MY biggest hope for 2003 is they allow the saddle/ebony with each exterior color. The color choices are pretty limited if you have an interior preference (my wife doesn't like black leather). I guess Acura controls costs by not having so many potential different vehicles to produce. Infiniti and BMW have almost all their interiors and exteriors as possible configurations...not sure what some others do.

Acura doesn't have a lot of factory options - i.e. base or touring, navigation or not then all the other accessories are dealer add-ons. Seems like their strategy is to make production as simple as possible (I'm sure this helps the MDX be cost effective for the amount of features).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
TPRENDER said:
MY biggest hope for 2003 is they allow the saddle/ebony with each exterior color. The color choices are pretty limited if you have an interior preference (my wife doesn't like black leather). I guess Acura controls costs by not having so many potential different vehicles to produce. Infiniti and BMW have almost all their interiors and exteriors as possible configurations...not sure what some others do.
I totally agree. My wife and I don't like black at all but we end up getting it because we want the Havsau Blue color bad :8:

An off-topic issue here: I think the seating is a little bit too hard. It is good as is but I am sure it will be better if a little bit softer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Leather Quality

Is it even leather?. The leather in my MDX CAME WITH CREASES... What kind a CRAP is that? It never even had a leather smell... My lexus still has the leather smell after 3 years... The interior smell in the MDX gives people headaches and I have to open the windows so that my passengers don't complain... My S2000 has the same leather and smell... good thing the top is down all the time so that it doesn't stink...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I notice the leather smell, but it is not as strong as in most other leather adorned cars I have either owned, or been in.

I have not noticed any unusual creases.

I do notice an 'off' odor when the car has been totally closed up for several hours.
It seems to dissipate quickly, or maybe the fumes are just giving me a buzz :20:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The MDX's leather is decent and even sort of good, but it is nothing special. After 20 months of ownership and about 24k miles, the leather does have creases at stress points (developed those earlier), but nothing has cracked or split. We're not lightweight people and that probably doesn't help either. :D

We condition semi-regularly with Lexol cleaner and conditioner. We even get new-leather smell once in a while.

It is true that the MDX leather is not as thick as one might expect. The RX300 leather is thicker. Interestingly enough, though, both the MDX and RX300's leather is surface-dyed. The color is only on top, so if the creases get enough wear, you may see a different color come through. This "cracked leather" has been a surprising complaint from a number of RX300 owners over on Edmunds. Not sure if the MDX will be immune to this, since it's not as old as the RX300.

I found the ML320's leather to be better than both. Thicker, and it is apparently dyed all the way through. There's also more of it. It's another trade-off.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have used the Zaino leather conditioner on my seats and dashboard. It gives the seats a satin like finish, softens the leather and gives the car the smell of fine leather.
On the dash and door panels it provides protection without that shiney appearance so pervasive with other brands.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Both of my Acuras (TL-S and MDX) have similar, if not the same, leather except for the color. I have no complaints so far. The tan interior looks great in the Red Rock MDX, but if I didn't already had a black interior (TL) I probably would've preferred black in the red.

·
Registered
312 Posts
TPRENDER said:
The saddle is too brown and not the typical tan on a lot of high end vehicles...at least that is my opinion. The RL has a nice shade of light tan leather
I disagree. We were glad to see that the saddle was darker than we remembered. It will stay cleaner and is different than most other 'tan' interiors I've seen. I think this is particularly useful in a "utility", family vehicle.

I agree, light biege would look great. Also, Acura definitely cut some corners on interior quality in order to make the X more affordable. I'd rather they did this than put Coach leather in and charge $10K more.

just my opinion . . .:p

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ditto

AcuraMDX2002 said:
Both of my Acuras (TL-S and MDX) have similar, if not the same, leather except for the color. I have no complaints so far.
Our TL-S has the Parchment which is a lighter color than the Saddle. I think the darker Saddle looks good with the Mahagony exterior.:cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Leather Quality

raddray said:
The interior smell in the MDX gives people headaches and I have to open the windows so that my passengers don't complain... My S2000 has the same leather and smell... good thing the top is down all the time so that it doesn't stink...
FINALLY!!! Someone else who has the terrible smell that my wife is constantly complaining about! What needs to be done to get rid of it? I am planning on shampooing all the carpet soon to see if that helps. We got the cargo tray for free when we bought the car, and if you put your nose up to that, it is the smell that is in the car.....so we removed it, but the smell still persists!! Any ideas!! We love the car, except for the smell!!! It is NASTY, and no it's not the "new car smell" for sure!!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Leather Quality

raddray said:
The interior smell in the MDX gives people headaches
Both raddray and swhtech compalin that the new MDX smell gives people headaches:confused: I suppose that if you say it gave you headaches then it did; to you?? However I have been a big part of this website since January 2001 and this is the very first time I have heard this complaint! If people (plural) are getting headaches from the smell then it must be a very few.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
re: leather. I think the quality is adequate. Not as good as in our Lexus (GS) but it's fine. Similar quality to the leather in my wife's old Accord (EX coupe, if that makes a difference re: leather used).

It's holding up fine 18 months later w/regular conditioning.

re: smell. My guess is it's the plastic outgassing rather than the leather or the carpets. Tho I s'pose there's some "new car smell" in those, too. 3 months should be ample time for that to have diminished. I'd park w/the windows down for awhile (if you can) to further vent it. There've been less-than-a-handful of comments on nausea or headaches since the site began...

·
Registered
179 Posts
The first thing I noticed in sitting in the Pilot was that the seats in the EX were much softer than that of my MDX. I found them much more to my liking, but the rest of the vehicle, left a lot to be desired.

The MDX is much sleeker whereas the Pilot is more upright . The Pilot looks taller, more like the CRV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We got our 'X in the middle of March, so it has been over 3 months, and the smell still persists! It is a very plasticky type of smell.
It doesn't matter how long you leave the windows down, it makes NO difference. It may diminish temporarily, but as soon as you get in the next day, even if you leave the windows open all night, the smell is there again.....it is much more noticeable when you open the rear drivers side door....the smell kind of "hits" you. It seems that it originates from either the back seat area, or the cargo area because it is least noticeable in the front seat area. We've removed the cargo tray, and it didn't really help.....I think I am going to take out the cargo cover next. Also, I just realized that we have NEVER left the third row of seats up since we bought the car.....maybe they need to be aired out? We are really getting frustrated with this, and I don't want to bring it to the dealer cause they'll just think we are crazy! Anyways, any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts