Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me instructions on how to install the leather armrest. The only screws i can see attach the small latch to the armrest. How do you take it apart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just install mine. I did remove the two screws that you mention and then simply pop it out. It is somewhat hard but It come off fairly easily. The new one goes right in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can you attach pics of the leather armrest? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure what it looks like. Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
;) One of the best things I have added. MUCH softer than the old plastic, and matches the seat well. Easy to install. You will see that I need to catch up on vinyl/leather protectant though..............................

Attachments

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
mcclendons said:
;) One of the best things I have added. MUCH softer than the old plastic, and matches the seat well. Easy to install. You will see that I need to catch up on vinyl/leather protectant though..............................
Nice job mcclendons! :29:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Nice install

·
Registered
28 Posts
installation

I noticed that nowhere in this thread that talked about how to install the armrest so I took the liberty to post what my experience on it. I just bought the leather armrest and the 2003 headrest. The installation was easy. It's a little bit tricky though. The cover is fastened by 2 screws and all around molded plastic snaps. Just unscrew the latch, then use a flat screwdriver, carefully pop the cover by inserting the screwdriver in the seams (between the leather cover and the plastic (cup holder side)) and carefully prying it. Start from the top and work your way around until the cover pops out. Replace the cover and make sure that you pop back in the sides of the cover and screw back in the latch. Do not screw too tight because you will have a hard time closing the cover. adjust tightness of screw to make proper fit. Hope this helps everyone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed the '03 leather armrest cover on my '01 X. Very easy. One tip on the install: when you go to snap the new one on, start at the back and work your way forward. It's much easier. Looks sweet!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just installed a '03 armrest in my '02 "X" - easy and worthwhile upgrade as it is so much more comfortable than the plastic thing I had before. See Tim to order - it's cheap and simple to install!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is why it's difficult to close if the screws are too tight, please read!

All,
There is a reason why the armrest is difficult to latch if the screws are tightenet too much, read the stuff below. I mention this to Tim when ordering my spare wheel, he didn't recall anyone else having the problem at the time. Perhaps he can compare covers?

Regards,
Cliff

Originally Posted by me on 05-22-2003 10:47 AM

"Subject:'03 Leather console armrest cover install on '02, notes.

Can't recall seeing anything about this, so: thought I would relay install notes of retrofitting an '03 leather console armrest cover into my '02 to the group (Tim too).

To remove the old armrest cover: remove the two screws that retain the latch and use a masking tape covered putty knife to pry apart the forward edge. Remove the old cover, it snaps together along the sides and aft edge (takes a little force).

There are two bosses on the inside of the cover towards the front that the latch screws thread into through the inside lid. On the '03 cover (from Tim of course), these bosses are @ 4mm shorter than the ones on my '02 cover (build time/configuration differences?). I had to make a 4mm spacer (I used some G-10 fibreglass sheet, 'cause I had it) to go between the inside lid adjacent surface and the bosses on the cover. The same screws are long enough, just.

If you don't use the spacer, tightening the screws will pull (deform) the inside lid to the point that the latch won't work. Tim, were you aware of this?

Once installed, the leather cover is quite a bit more comfortable!

Regards,
Cliff"

·
Registered
576 Posts
I did read this post before my install and was expecting to have a problem but didn't. I tried not to over-tighten the screws but didn''t need to because the cover fits so tight on the rear snaps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts