Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have read (or experienced), the wait is long in New England and I have also found that many dealers are loading the orders with inflated accessories. This, and the success stories on this site, have driven me to look in the southern states (especially FL) for a MDX. However, since I am definitely going to lease the vehicle, there is a very important issue that I need to address: Would the acquisition of the vehicle by the leasing company in Florida (for example) be a tax free transaction? I know that I will be obligated to pay tax on the monthly payment here in MA; however, I have no intention of paying tax twice on a vehicle. Conversely, if I obtain a vehicle in MA, the initial transaction is tax-free and the state collects tax from the leasee (me) on a monthly basis. Any insight would be appreciated. Have any MA residing forum members leased a vehicle obtained from an out of state dealer (NH doesn't count since there is no sales tax there)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
You pay only tax in your state

I live in the SF Bay area where the wait was incredible even back in Dec 2000 when I placed an order with 3 different local dealers. Since they all had some sort of markup over MSRP, I was able to find better lease terms with leasing company out of Texas.
http://www.autoflex.com
They found the vehicle in Mississippi, found a bank in Alabama with a low interest rate, and had it shipped out to my front door. Even with the leasing company's commision, it was still cheaper than the rates I was quoted by the local dealers. The only problem was that the shipping company took 10 days longer to deliver than they initially said. The leasing company gave me a refund for the 10 days (one third of monthly payment).
I paid no tax on the initial transaction. I pay my local sales tax on each monthly payment.
I also got 10,000 United Mileage plus miles with their program for the referral to Autoflex!
http://www.odometermiles.com

·
Registered
213 Posts
Question for those who lease with a dealer out of their home state:

WHERE DO YOU RETURN THE CAR WHEN THE LEASE IS UP?:8:

Also, Do you pay the local tax rate or that of your home state?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Zubinh. If you lease a car out of state, you pay your state's taxes and fees. The out of state dealer will structure the lease as to your state's requirements. If the lease is through Honda Finance, you can return the vehicle to any Honda or Acura dealer in the U.S. If it is through another lender, they will normally do the same, but you should check with them in advance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
acura_ed said:
Zubinh. If the lease is through Honda Finance, you can return the vehicle to any Honda or Acura dealer in the U.S. If it is through another lender, they will normally do the same, but you should check with them in advance.
WOW Thanks alot for the info. This makes my future shopping job ALOT more difficult. Now instead of just focusing on the dealers in the tri state area, I've got to search the entire country for the best lease deal.

Hmmmmm I wonder how long it will take me to email every Acura dealer in the country for a lease quote.....:confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
zubinh said:

WOW Thanks alot for the info. This makes my future shopping job ALOT more difficult. Now instead of just focusing on the dealers in the tri state area, I've got to search the entire country for the best lease deal.

Hmmmmm I wonder how long it will take me to email every Acura dealer in the country for a lease quote.....:confused:
Just find a good one through a board like this and contact them. Alternatively, you could fax a very brief letter to several dealers and have them compete for your business that way. Something about a fax seems to work better than an email. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts