Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

just wondering what is your experience so far with Navigation update from the dealer. I just leased a new 2017 Mdx (Canada) Navi and to my surprise, the delivery woman told me that my map is probably 2-4 years old. I asked her if they are going to update the map for me and she told me I need to pay for a new DVD... What ?? I mean, I got a 2017 model and I am not entitle to, at least, get the latest Navigation data ? Is this some frequent practice from Acura or I am getting stealered :)

Cheers
Bo

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello Folks,

just wondering what is your experience so far with Navigation update from the dealer. I just leased a new 2017 Mdx (Canada) Navi and to my surprise, the delivery woman told me that my map is probably 2-4 years old. I asked her if they are going to update the map for me and she told me I need to pay for a new DVD... What ?? I mean, I got a 2017 model and I am not entitle to, at least, get the latest Navigation data ? Is this some frequent practice from Acura or I am getting stealered :)

Cheers
Bo
Unfortunately, Acura does not provide free update on Navi map (as far as I know). And the DVD that comes with the car usually contains outdated map info. Yes, you will have to buy it yourself or just use the free map on your phone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought the 2017 MDX uses a flash base Storage. So the Maps are stored in the HDD.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
it has to be available on the gray market (ebay) or somewhere on the net.

ridiculous paying for such a thing. i can see why some auto manuf haven't adopted carplay or android auto in their infotainment. it would disrupt another revenue stream.
I asked HERE about using one disc for two different vehicles (e.g. we own two Mdxes) with the same software versions. They said it won't work because it's specific to the exact database and software version you have currently. They might be lying but I'm not going to risk bricking my unit to test.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder how does the system know that the same DVD has been used by another vehicle. Can anyone explain how does it work? I had used an upgrade disc on my '06 MDX before. But that DVD stayed inside the car. But in this case, the disc data are installed on the HDD. The disc becomes useless afterward. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The DVD wouldn't know but rather the patch executables on the disc when run could very well be catered to update only specific versions. Not knowing if it does a version check and proceed/reject first prior to the update could mean that it could brick your unit if an incorrect patch is applied (reasonable to believe that they would make these updates cater to numerous/all versions of the same hardware but you never know). It would be great if we could all band together and accumulate discs from different versions of units to check if the files are identical across versions, but not a lot of people have the desire to update the navi at this point since the maps are likely 2-3 years old with the newest update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts