Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having problems with leaking sunroof. Happened to me twice. Now know how to clean drains however, is this a mfg. defect?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Anyone else having problems with leaking sunroof. Happened to me twice. Now know how to clean drains however, is this a mfg. defect?
If cleaning the drains fixed your issue then you do not have a defect. Literally all sunroofs from all manufacturers can encounter the plugged drain issue and quite frankly there are only a couple of sunroof manufacturers that supply OEM's, so there really isn't much difference from one to the next. As an additional PM/precaution it's a good idea to open the roof all the way and clean the edge where the seal hits when the roof is closed then close the roof to within an inch of being completely closed and clean the rubber seal following up with a good silicone rubber treatment to keep the seal soft and supple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had to contend with leaking roof for some time now, tried cleaning yet same stories, am thinking complete sealing with silicon may be the nest option

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have had to contend with leaking roof for some time now, tried cleaning yet same stories, am thinking complete sealing with silicon may be the nest option
I would bet money that you have a clogged sunroof drain. Open the roof, pour some water around the drains, they will be at the corners...especially at the front..look for water coming out around or just behind the front wheel wells...if no water comes out, there's your issue. Proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stumbled upon this post when i found a leaking sunroof in my 17 MDX. Water dripping down through sunroof controls and Acura assist buttons. Drains appear clear and blew compressed air into holes but nothing stops the leak. How does one go about clearing the drains? Any idea if this would be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you use automatic car washes, the vertical (spinning) brush that travels over the top of the MDX pushes down as water is being applied.
When finished the sun roof's glass does not pop back upward and will leak.
Slide open the sun roof's shade cover and push up on the glass, as the brush rolls over the roof.
It all depends on the car wash company's (gas station short lane vs dedicated extra long lane) machine. Some have their top brush set lower and it presses down harder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2007 175K miles.....the rubber strip under the wind deflector came off....I think (hope) it was blocking flow just enough to cause water spill - and pushing strip back on just took care of the deflector rattle at high speeds when roof open- I had no idea..... See you next heavy rain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts