Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After windshield replacement, water leaks shows up, first I thought it was the windshield, so they reinstalled it and still leaking, I went back again last week, they perform the air leak test, turns out no bubbles around edge of the windshield, they guess it is the sunroof, but it didn't clog, is it possible the roof rack rail?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
They did a seal test and "GUESS" its on the roof? Take it back and insist on a real total seal test. They will find any and all leaks.
In other words they sprayed water around the window and peonounced it good. Find a dealership that can do a real SealTest. It takes time to do right but they will identify and and all leaks.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Did the leak show up immediately after having the glass replaced? If so, it's most likely the windshield job that caused the leak. Anything else would be too coincidental.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spray the water on that corner for like 5 mins, no leak, but if I spray it upper, to the roof rail, it won't leak immediately, but after few mins, a small water spot will show up like the pic I posted, then start expanding, that's why I came up with the thought of roof rail.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will perform another test this weekend, I will take out the roof rail again, and spray water directly to the roof rail, to see if there is any leak.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
From the roof rail area can you see where the water flows? Maybe it's flowing to the windshield area then leaking in.

99% of failures that occur immediately after a service are due to the service rather than coincidence hence to focus on what the last thing that changed was - in this case probably the windshield, unless you did new roof rails in the same timeframe.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm relatively certain they cut the drain tube when cutting the seal around the old windshield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
No it's not that hard but take off your a pillar to check. The sunroof drain tube runs down along the a pillar. It can also just be a clog at the top end since the leak is showing up high. If no cut in the tube, then either attach a straw to a shop vac to suck out debris or force compressed air through the line. If it's cut, there should be obvious couplers at the top and bottom and you can replace sections.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it's not that hard but take off your a pillar to check. The sunroof drain tube runs down along the a pillar. It can also just be a clog at the top end since the leak is showing up high. If no cut in the tube, then either attach a straw to a shop vac to suck out debris or force compressed air through the line. If it's cut, there should be obvious couplers at the top and bottom and you can replace sections.

Thank you Neoshi! I will run some test over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thank you Neoshi! I will run some test over the weekend.
Just in case, here's how it looks like in the 2016+ pilot, so should be very similar. Looks embedded inside the pillar so you'll have to pull out the bottom from the coupler to pull the rest out of the top hole to check the rest of the line.

·
Registered
12 Posts

OR there could be a kink in the rubber tube as it's a soft rubber (I saw the video on YouTube).
More likely they damaged the tube while installing new windshield.
I agree open up A pillar to see what's going on :)
Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update, after remove the A pillar trim, the drain tube is not accessible, as you see in the first picture, it's hidden inside the metal, so I will need to remove the front right corner of the headliner in order to access the head of the drain tube, question, does anyone know how to remove the thing in picture 3, and the handle bar? Thank you

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Update, after remove the A pillar trim, the drain tube is not accessible, as you see in the first picture, it's hidden inside the metal, so I will need to remove the front right corner of the headliner in order to access the head of the drain tube, question, does anyone know how to remove the thing in picture 3, and the handle bar? Thank you

Try these instructions from the pilot View attachment Sunvisor Removal and Installation 1570.pdf

Also remember when you finally pull the drain hose out you need to disconnect the bottom first from that hole in the a pillar.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try these instructions from the pilot View attachment 113717

Also remember when you finally pull the drain hose out you need to disconnect the bottom first from that hole in the a pillar.
Hi Neoshi,

Do you have the instruction on how to remove the handle bar above the side window?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All,

Update: Things getting interested, So I was able to get the passenger side headliner down and took a good look.

Drain tube: The tube looks fine, and it goes into the metal frame when it touch the grab handler area, and as you see, from the grab handler to the windshield, it's still plenty of space, also, I put like 10 bottles of water into the sunroof drain hole, not even a drip, so I didn't bother to replace it.

The leaking area: As I spray water from the back of the car, I was aiming the sunroof and the right roof rack, after 5 mins, I went back to the car, I found that a dripping from roof just above the the passenger grab handler, So my best guess is that, when water goes in, it drops on the headliner, and slide downward to the joint where the headliner touch the A pillar trim cover, and things start getting wet from there. The outside of the leaking area, it's the roof rail, if you look back to my original post, you will see some thread was weld on the roof rail, to secure the roof rail.But I am not sure if this was through the roof or they just weld it on the roof, I saw a video in YouTube(Roof rail leaking), I am not sure if this is related, but I put the some Black RTV to seal around the mounting hole, and let's see how it goes from here.

I started taking things apart from 11:30am, when I put everything back up, it's already 3:30pm, it's very time consuming and very frustrating.

·
Registered
644 Posts
RTV is acidic and can cause rust under it. If you can get to both sides you can use compressed air and a hose stuck to your ear to listen for the leak. Since it wasn't leaking before the windshield I would look at the area where the seal and the channel come together. When you hit the area that leaks with the compressed air and listen on the other side it will be really obvious where the leak is. It will be very loud where the leak is. They make auto body caulks just for what you are doing. Any autobody supply will have them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RTV is acidic and can cause rust under it. If you can get to both sides you can use compressed air and a hose stuck to your ear to listen for the leak. Since it wasn't leaking before the windshield I would look at the area where the seal and the channel come together. When you hit the area that leaks with the compressed air and listen on the other side it will be really obvious where the leak is. It will be very loud where the leak is. They make auto body caulks just for what you are doing. Any autobody supply will have them.
Actually I did the air leak test in the glass shop, they did it in front of me, to proof that no air is leaking. I really don't know what else to check. I also have concerns about the black RTV for the rust problem, as I dig deeper, I found that the non-corrosive type RTV won't cause rust, hopefully. So today, my area was raining from 9am to 4pm, it's pouring, and after it stopped, I went to check on the leak area, it was dried, hopefully I sealed the right place, there are still more rains in the coming week, let's keep our finger crossed!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Wow very interesting. So this might have been purely coincidental after all. If my perspective of directions is correct, the photo showing the water intruding between two panels is looking toward the front of the car and makes me wonder why, given the direction of water flow, they lapped the top panel UNDER the right panel. If you think about general waterproofing practices for say.. roofing and siding.. top down you lap the higher panel OVER the lower panels. And whatever they're using to seal the seam has a high face, so I guess it's a tiny retaining wall and a point of entry. In addition to the welded post/threads, I was thinking maybe there's some pinholes in this. And oh boy that Odyssey guy really went all out with that silicone lol

Capture.JPG

But your experience has me wondering now. I usually hear dripping water near my b-pillar when it rains but I never see wet interior trim, so I haven't chased it yet. I'm guessing I may have something similar, but it may be dripping all the way down to somewhere i can't see and just doesn't affect my trim.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts