Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that one of my front struts is leaking fluid on my 2015 MDX Base at 77k miles. The ride quality is starting to suffer.
After researching on this wonderful forum, I am probably going to order replacements from oemacuraparts.com.
The local "stealership" is not even an option!!!
I wonder....
Since the OEM's are known for failure, has anyone found any aftermarket front struts for the 3rd generation MDX's?
I am also curious about who makes these OEM struts for Acura?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wish Bilstein would make a better strut for the 3rd gen, but I haven't found anything. Nothing from Koni, either :-(

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since the OEM's are known for failure...
Based on all the posts I've read here since the beginning of the 3rd gen I wouldn't say the shocks are 'known for their failure' and there are almost no posts here indicating failures. That's one reason why I noticed your thread so much. There were some 2014/2015 that has the dampers replaced due to exhibiting some noise but I can't recall anyone posting about a typical shock failure like you experienced with fluid leaking.

I guess I wouldn't be concerned about installing factory shocks rather than aftermarket ones. At least you know the factory ones were specified for this application by engineers, fwiw, whereas many aftermarket shocks are fairly generic with just some different mounting hardware.

I've replaced failing shocks on pretty much every vehicle I've owned so it's not something I expect to last forever so unless they fail at an abnormally low mileage point, then I wouldn't be that surprised if they failed eventually.

I haven't replaced mine yet on the MDX (2014 - shawd - about 43K miles) so I don't know how difficult they might be to replace. If you're going to replace them yourself please post back and let us know if it was difficult or easy and whether you have any tips on doing the replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mdxstang, I have replaced struts and shocks on vehicles in the past, just never as early as 77k miles. I will admit that it is the wife's daily driver, so it might have been subjected to abnormal abuse:)
As for the "known for failure" comment, I admit it was a little premature on my part. I did a quick google and saw several, but most were on older models.
When I saw a recent thread on here, with a similar low mileage strut issue, I assumed. We all know how ass-u-me makes us look.
Out of pure age induced laziness, I am gonna pay someone to install the struts when I get them. Also, don't want to hear the wife complain if it drives different.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Stop running over alligators, it's hard on the suspension. ( Here in the north, it's potholes )

I don't think there are any quality alternatives to OEM struts for 3rd-gen MDX at this time. Best to replace in pairs, and compressing strut springs is best left to a shop IMO. I used to do it on itty bitty sports cars, but these SUVs are a whole different animal. If it's really blown, I think you're doing the right thing.

Showa and KYB seem to be common OE shock manufacturers for Honda/Acura.

77k miles is a bit early, but one big hit can blow a seal. Stuff happens. If it's passenger side front strut that is "leaking", are you sure it's not engine oil from oil filter changes? I'm probably not the only slob in the world... You can try the "bounce test" to verify, but they have to be pretty far gone for that to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 MDX front strut leakage

Hi I have 50K miles on my 2014 MDX and have been told the front Strut is leaking and this is normal wear and tear and to change the two out (bec you want to do these in pairs) will cost me about $1700. I took the MDX into the dealer for a recall and oil change and then was told I need to also change the transmission fluid- the oil change and transmission fluid cost $264 (they gave me a discount so I guess this is a good price.) But told me that the front right strut is leaking and this is a serious issue. I'm not a car person and am totally confused as to if this is normal or if the dealer is just having do something unnecessary. I'm having another mechanic look at my car but would love any input from this forum. With thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hi I have 50K miles on my 2014 MDX and have been told the front Strut is leaking and this is normal wear and tear and to change the two out (bec you want to do these in pairs) will cost me about $1700. I took the MDX into the dealer for a recall and oil change and then was told I need to also change the transmission fluid- the oil change and transmission fluid cost $264 (they gave me a discount so I guess this is a good price.) But told me that the front right strut is leaking and this is a serious issue. I'm not a car person and am totally confused as to if this is normal or if the dealer is just having do something unnecessary. I'm having another mechanic look at my car but would love any input from this forum. With thanks for any thoughts.
I also have a 2014 that's at about 58K miles.

I'd agree with the point of calling the leaking shock 'normal wear and tear' but 'normal' can include hitting a bunch of potholes, curbs, manhole covers, and the like that can stress a shock such that even though it's 'normal' it wouldn't necessarily be 'usual'. Normally shocks last longer than 50K but it can vary a lot depending on potholes, driving washboarded dirt roads a lot, etc.

If you're not actually feeling the effect of a bad shock I'd question what they stated somewhat and would at least like them to show me where it's leaking. The leak s/b pretty obvious and they s/b able to show it to you. If it's leaking it s/b replaced and they're right - they s/b replaced in pairs (both fronts).

Dealers tend to charge full list price, or sometimes even more than that, for 'parts' and then there's the labor charge. An Acura dealer will typically be more costly than an independent mechanic (or any other place). About the best parts price is buying them online through oemacuraparts (an advertiser here and one I've purchased from) or a similar Acura dealer who sells parts at a discount.

I just checked on oemacuraparts and the shocks are about $178 each. If the rubber mounting bushings are to be replaced, which it seems they s/b, they'd be about $44 per side.

It's a good idea to take it to a trusted independent mechanic for a second opinion due to the cost. If you do and they say one is leaking, have them show you the leak. If you decide to replace them you could always buy the OEMs online at a discount and have them installed by an independent mechanic.

Failed shocks present a safety issue so they need to be replaced when they fail but usually there's no need to panic about it - especially if you don't actually feel the failure in an overly bouncing or poorly handling vehicle.

The trans fluid change one a 2014/2015 is simple to do DIY if you're inclined. I did mine myself. For the dealer quote - find out if it's a simple drain and fill or if they're going to do a triple drain and fill (to get most of the fluid in the torque converter), which is a longer process and thus more labor and more fluid cost.

The oil change is simple as well. I posted a DIY thread on the topic on here quite some time ago.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My 17 had the front left damper replaced at about 8k miles due to leaking. Dealer actually spotted it. I also had the left rear damper replaced (at 13k) due to noise (banging sound) coming from rear. I reported it and thankfully they were able to replicate. Always remember - you're a liar until they can replicate...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took my 14 in to the dealer around 70k miles for the strut popping sound TSB and they found one of the struts to be leaking so they replaced it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Both of my front shocks were replaced under warranty (Acura Care) due to leakage at about 45k miles/51 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sure their components were sourced from likely the cheapest supplier and that's what one gets. They ALL pinch pennies. It saddens me to think of such cheap junk on such a pricey car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Okay - based on the recent posts I'm going to inspect my shocks closely the next time I crawl under there, which will probably be soon since I plan to replace the brakes shortly.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Jeebus. Should I have just bought Acura Care? $935 dealer cost.. that's way more than half of a G58 plan (5yr/80k)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Jeebus. Should I have just bought Acura Care? $935 dealer cost.. that's way more than half of a G58 plan (5yr/80k)
I just replaced all 4 struts, I bought parts online and brought to the store, front pair cost $400, they charged $150 for labor, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No - we're still generally better off not buying extended warranties IMO. One data point - my 2014 is now about 6 years old and still has the original shocks and hasn't required anything else so I would have lost the bet on the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just replaced all 4 struts, I bought parts online and brought to the store, front pair cost $400, they charged $150 for labor, it's not too bad.
By 'store' do you mean an Acura dealership service or do you mean an independent mechanic?

·
Registered
32 Posts
2014 MDX front strut leakage

Dialing for dollars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts