Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been doing some maintenance on my mom's 11 mdx and that included replacing the cv joints / axles. The passenger side was no biggy other than a slightly difficult removal. Driver side was alright except for the unexpected deluge of transmission fluid on myself when i removed the axle. I replaced the axle and within a few days that axle seal developed a leak. I went to the local honda dealer with the honda part number in hand and ordered a replacement axle seal. A few weeks later I removed the axle again from the transmission and used my lisle seal removal tool to make sure I didn't gouge any important surfaces. With the old seal removed I used a large 44mm socket and tapped the new seal in even. I reinstalled the axle. It has been a few weeks now and it looks like the seal is leaking again.

The axles were the remanufactured options from NAPA since those are supposed to be better than their new ones because they use OEM axles as a core. Has anyone else had a similar issue as me? The issue first appeared with the replacement of the original axle with the napa one and replacing the axle seal does not seem to have fixed it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yes, you need to drain the ATF if you don't want it spilling when replacing the driver drive shaft.

You should not be using anything else other than a brand new OEM axle to replace the faulty one(s). I have not heard any successful stories for anyone replacing OEM axels with aftermarket ones and not having all sorts of issues shortly after.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have never seen a Honda V6 axle change spilling ATF.. I done my TL-S and my MDX and both spilled a couple of drops if anything.. No need to drain the trans. I think you are damaging the Axle seal when inserting the axle shaft, How are you making pressure to remove it? the axle design does not allow a fork to be used without damaging the axle seal... You need a pry bar and jank it against the lower subframe to pull the axle out.

These were the MDXs:
My passenger side had a leaky booth but since both were on sale I went on and change them both with brand new OEM.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have done axles 4-5 times on acura's, never was leaking or spilled any excessive amount of trans oil. Probably you have faulty axle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have never seen a Honda V6 axle change spilling ATF.. I done my TL-S and my MDX and both spilled a couple of drops if anything.. No need to drain the trans. I think you are damaging the Axle seal when inserting the axle shaft, How are you making pressure to remove it? the axle design does not allow a fork to be used without damaging the axle seal... You need a pry bar and jank it against the lower subframe to pull the axle out.

These were the MDXs:
My passenger side had a leaky booth but since both were on sale I went on and change them both with brand new OEM.
How much did you pay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird, I lost maybe half a quart when i removed the driver side front axle. I had honda oem atf on hand and used that to top it off, but I most certainly lost fluid. I would agree that maybe I did something wrong but on our old saturn vue with the honda v6 J series I replaced the driver side axle once upon a time and lost the same amount of fluid then too.

The axle I purchased was a napa remanufactured unit. I am not opposed to getting a known working second hand axle to try. For removal of the axle I used 2 pry bars. wedged between the transmission and the subframe. I don't think it touched the axle seal. But even if it did touch the seal, I subsequently replaced the seal with a brand new honda oem axle seal. This weekend I will lift the wheel up and take some better pictures but I am baffled.

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like I might have jumped the gun in assuming the leak was from the transmission side. I just saw a few drops that matched the few drops I had before the cv joint seal replacement. I crawled under the car today with a flashlight and it looks like the wetness is coming from the power steering rack bellow on the driver side only. I am curious to know what would cause this suddenly.

I will say that about 100 miles ago I did replace the power steering fluid with Honda oem power steering fluid for the 11 mdx but I used the drain and fill method only from the reservoir.

It looks like I have some research and googling to do to see how to fix a power steering rack leak where the bellow is.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
did you have to send old one back?
Nope. I still have my OGs, I kept them to refurbish them myself in the future to have a pair of spares.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

These were the MDXs:

Hey skirmich,
Are these Honda or Acura OEM axles and what is the Honda part number ? I can’t find anything on homdapartsunlimited using Acura part number. Here is the Acura front left axle 44306-STX-A51.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Hey skirmich,
Are these Honda or Acura OEM axles and what is the Honda part number ? I can’t find anything on homdapartsunlimited using Acura part number. Here is the Acura front left axle 44306-STX-A51.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are Acura part numbers but Seems like Hondapartsunlimited has dropped the Acura Catalog.. So those part numbers wont show up anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a rather late update but I ended up returning the napa rebuilt axle and exhanging it for another napa rebuilt axle. I couldn't logically figure out what else it could be. Shortly after replacing the original axle the leak developed, I replaced the axle seal to no avail so on a hunch I thought maybe just maybe something was wrong with the napa axle. The replacement axle from napa went in no problems and the car has been leak free for the last month so I am going to give it the rubber stamp of job well done.

My speculation is maybe something was off on the tolerances and the rebuilt napa axle wasn't quite the right dimensions but the new one is perfectly fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts