Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some perspective from people on the pros and cons of each tire. I've been reading this forum to get some ideas as my 2011 MDX with Tech is due. I bought it with some Westlake tires (never heard of them).

I had gone back and forth and was back to Michelin's but my local Twin Cities Acura dealer said he's been recommending and changing people over to Continental DWS 06's. These are about $100 cheaper/tire.

Thoughts on the better tire? I'm more of a highway/stop n go/city driver than an off-roader. Definitely want an all-weather that is good in cold and snow (this is Minnesota) but a good tire for summer (not setting speed records but want something for up to 80-90 mph).

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
That Continental sounds like a performance tire that might not last as long. The Latitude Tour is a higher priced tire for sure, but I'm pretty sure you will like them if you shell out the $$. They get a lot of good reviews.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The Conti DWS is an Ultra-High Performance All-Season which is quite a jump up the performance ladder from the OEM Michelins, which are just a Touring All-Season. The DWS may be a bit harsh but if handling is #1 priority they may be a good pick for you. I can't imagine their winter traction will be on-par with typical touring tires though.

It's hard to give you a comparison since it doesn't sound like you started with the OEM. Westlake Tires only make two styles that fit the MDX. One is a basic touring tire "SU318" and the other is a high performance tire "SV308". Neither are on par with the best tires out there so I guess it comes down to what you liked/didn't like about whichever model you have.

As you've probably found, most folks here go with either the Conti Crosscontact LX20 or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Both are all-season Touring tires that rate higher than the OEM Michelins and are priced much more competitively. I have the LX20 and they don't quite handle as well as the Michelins when really being pushed, such as a high-speed cloverleaf. But otherwise they feel great and drive better all around. 80-90mph is no problem at all...it feels very secure even into triple digits. I run snows but the wet traction has been terrific.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I drive with more of an emphasis in the Sport than Utility in SUV. I put around 20,000 miles per year on my X. I've gone from LA to Jacksonville, FL, within 7 month (combo of high school track camps/meets & vacations).

I went with Conti DWS when it was time for my first set of tires. I up sized with aftermarket rims and 255/45/20 tires. I had some experience with Conti DWS in the past with my TSX (2nd set of Conti DWS after Bridgestone 960 and OEM) and RDX (2nd set of Conti DWS).

What I like about the Conti DWS:
- excellent dry traction
- much less road noise compared to OEM
- cool tread design
- very stable at high speeds (85-100 mph), very smooth
- excellent grip on curves when sh-awd is engaged
- very good wet, hydroplane, snow, slush traction
- long treadlife of 50,000 miles
- mpgs seem to be unchanged with these tires
- excellent braking grip for emergencies
- about 1-5 lbs less weight per tire compared to some others
- 20" size has the ribbed rim protection lip incase you get too close to a curb
- non-directional tires you can rotate/cross-rotate for better wear and keep them quiet
- Conti DWS are usually cheaper than a lot of other tires with less capabilities

Cons:
- Conti DWS had a very thin sidewall. Running a flat tire on the rim will most likely destroy the tire in less time compared to others. The Conti DWS 06 corrected this problem with thicker sidewalls.
- They are usually on back order for days or even weeks during the fall/winter. Takes time for road hazard replacement if you have an issue. I have full size spares for all three vehicles for this reason.

I traveled back from LA to ABQ last year after X-mas. I went from sunny and 60-65 degrees, rain, freezing rain, light snow, +10" inches of snow in Flagstaff, snow packed/icy road at around 15-20 degrees, and eventually 50 degrees and sunny in ABQ in the 12 hours on the road. The Conti DWS (along with sh-awd) performed like a champs with zero traction issues in all those conditions.

I have about 37,000 miles on my Conti DWS since putting them on in Jan/14. The tires still show DWS on the tread. I will switchover to the Conti DWS 06 when the time comes because these tires fit my driving style the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts