Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a hold of the latest Road & Track (December 2002 issue) and it has a test of 6 SUVs in 3 different price categories:

FOUR-WHEELING IN THE LAND OF HIAWATHA
The test vehicles were
BMW X5 3.0 vs. Audi A6 Allroad Quattro
Acura MDX vs. Volvo V70 Cross Country
Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Impreza Outback

they tested these vehicles in the frigid "UPPER PENINSULA" of Michigan and this article gives very good insight on the Snow/Ice capabilites of these vehicles.

However, I was really ticked off :mad: that they used a 2002 MDX and not a 2003..........Why on God's green earth would they do this?? :mad: :rolleyes: .........was really hoping to see the capabilities of the 2003 (which no one has tested yet)!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maybe the '03 MDX was not available at the time of the test.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
So which one won? VolvoXC90 or the Acura MDX?Just curious seeing as they put a "dinosaur" up against an "03".Would be curious to see the VSA and how it works on snow and ice.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
So which one won? VolvoXC90 or the Acura MDX?Just curious seeing as they put a "dinosaur" up against an "03".Would be curious to see the VSA and how it works on snow and ice.
hockeyplayer, good point.... the results would be even more impressive if the X performed as well or better despite a slight disadvantage... akin to beating an opponent in a foot race when he has a head start...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, according to them......

hockeyplayer said:
the Volvo won.........they did say that the Acura was "perfect, beautifully engineered, but bland and middle of the road.....or something like that"

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: Unfortunately, according to them......

vicpai said:

the Volvo won.........they did say that the Acura was "perfect, beautifully engineered, but bland and middle of the road.....or something like that"
Vic, wait, in your first post you said the comparison was with a V70 XC. Was the comparison with a V70 XC (AWD station wagon) or an XC90?

If it was the XC90, which XC90 was it, the 2.5T or the T6? It'd be pretty embarassing if the MDX lost to the 2.5T.

Thank you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree,I wish they would have used an 03 X.I guess it just depends on what your going to do with the ute!Mine ain't going off road!The other thing these tests seldom show is long term reliability.I call on dealerships for a living and I seldom see major problems with Acuras.I see ugly problems with some of the vehicles mentioned in this test.
Tom:4:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
William, it was not the XC 90!

wmquan said:

Vic, wait, in your first post you said the comparison was with a V70 XC. Was the comparison with a V70 XC (AWD station wagon) or an XC90?

If it was the XC90, which XC90 was it, the 2.5T or the T6? It'd be pretty embarassing if the MDX lost to the 2.5T.

Thank you.
.......The comparison was with the Volvo V70 Cross Country with a 2.4 Liter Turbo.

According to Patrick Hong, Road test editor, it was better because:

"Between the Acura and the Volvo, the V70 XC wins my vote for its better all round performance"

and here are quotes of the other editors:

Road Test Assistant, Shaun Bailey:

"In the middle group, nothing comes close to the driveability of the Volvo XC, with its quick steering and positive feedback"

Art Director, Richard M. Baron:

"The Volve V70 XC stands out as the best all weather sports-utility vehicle. Great predictable handling and traction with plenty of cargo space."

Editor-in-Chief, Thos L. Bryant:

"In the middle-price category, the Volvo V70 XC is the clear winner (and the one I would buy out of all six) for everyday utility and driving pleasure."

Detroit Editor, Matt DeLorenzo:

"In the mid-price segment, the Volvo XC stood out as the perfect companion for a romp through Michigan's version of Scandinavia."

Editor-at-Large, Peter Egan:

"In the middle, the Volvo is my pick,"

General final comments:

"The Acura MDX is a nimble handler despite its size and height, while the Volvo V70 Cross Country was the one everyone said they would want to own. Interiors of both (the Acura's at the left) are comfortable and well designed"

·
Registered
595 Posts
hey..

let them have the xc90.. they'll be happy for.. about a year..

untill that car start to have problems..

histroy of Volvo will repeat it self.

:2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Presumably, Volvo had more ad pages in the issue than Acura did, which seems to be more highly correlated with R&T's recommendations than anything else.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: William, it was not the XC 90!

vicpai said:

.......The comparison was with the Volvo V70 Cross Country with a 2.4 Liter Turbo.
Ha, comparing a lot of SUV's with an AWD wagon will affect the result. The (usually) lower center of gravity of the wagon and basic car structure will affect handling dynamics. Let alone comparing it to a 2002 model MDX. Strange comparison!!!

It'd had made more sense to compare an V70 XC to an Audi allroad, a Passat GLX 4motion, and a Subaru H6 VDC. Not sure if the Volvo would win that comparison.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
The Volvo was just the latest in thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts