Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me what the latest 2018 version number, disc ID that I need to get for my 2009 Acura MDX navigation? I'm seeing 4.31C, 4.55A, etc. so as usual, there are so many different numbers that it's confusing. Also, do I need multiple disks to update the software and run the maps?

Bonus question, what is the PC card slot for? Are Maps available on pcmcia cards?

Thank you!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
But I just saw your other thread, and is that the original Nav system for that model year? Did someone have a USB/Bluetooth adapter installed or something? Weird.

Can you find a part number on that under-seat unit that doesn't even look like it's bolted down?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt the new dvd will work. The problem is your dvd unit is likely shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I know that. The dealer is fixing it for free this week. I'm just getting the new DVD in anticipation for once that's done since I know it'll take a week or two to arrive.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Acura only makes one update DVD per year. They release the updates in the fall for $199, drop the price down to $149 late winter or early spring, and down to $99 by late spring or during the summer. Acura never tells you what the upgrades are on the disk and there isn't a way to double-check the changes. My best guess is the update disk is only current 6-18 month back from the Oct/Nov release date. Having a smartphone handy as a back-up is a must have if you travel a lot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate the navigation on the X... never really worked 100% in my car, and one time my family was in Ohio when it just decided to shut off and throw an error. Ohio! We’re from Toronto! So we have no idea where were going unless we use a phone, which was the case in the end. I don’t even know when my update is, but who knows, maybe when I decide to either buy it off my dad or sell it, I’ll update it.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I hate the navigation on the X... never really worked 100% in my car, and one time my family was in Ohio when it just decided to shut off and throw an error. Ohio! We’re from Toronto! So we have no idea where were going unless we use a phone, which was the case in the end. I don’t even know when my update is, but who knows, maybe when I decide to either buy it off my dad or sell it, I’ll update it.

The Acura Navi system was only good in the days of flip phones and 2G data speeds. Acura Navi does come in handy in the west/southwest when I have limited cell coverage and side roads and rural cities haven't changed in 50 years. I've never played with Apple Carplay and if you have the Acura Navi or Apple/Android navi as an option with this system. I put +20,000 miles per year and I would be willing to upgrade to the latest RDX or MDX if I have the option to use either when traveling coast-to-coast.

I only do the DVD disk upgrades every third year and wait for the $99 price because of the cost and spotty coverage with new businesses and construction.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Acura Navi system was only good in the days of flip phones and 2G data speeds. Acura Navi does come in handy in the west/southwest when I have limited cell coverage and side roads and rural cities haven't changed in 50 years. I've never played with Apple Carplay and if you have the Acura Navi or Apple/Android navi as an option with this system. I put +20,000 miles per year and I would be willing to upgrade to the latest RDX or MDX if I have the option to use either when traveling coast-to-coast.

I only do the DVD disk upgrades every third year and wait for the $99 price because of the cost and spotty coverage with new businesses and construction.

Yeah these days if I have to get somewhere my iPhone does exactly what I need! Plus, the navigation is a perfect prop-up point!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a smartphone as my main GPS, but here's where the built-in navigation shines...

- Getting through/across an unfamiliar neighborhood (easy to see the streets and make fast ad-hoc turn by turn judgements)
- Navigating home from somewhere in the home metroplex (two taps, Map, Go Home)
- Finding nearby gas stations or ATMs

All of those are more cumbersome/hard to do on a smartphone while trying to drive. It's worth it for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use a smartphone as my main GPS, but here's where the built-in navigation shines...

- Getting through/across an unfamiliar neighborhood (easy to see the streets and make fast ad-hoc turn by turn judgements)

All of those are more cumbersome/hard to do on a smartphone while trying to drive. It's worth it for me.

As long as you have the most up to date disk I assume, I don’t get gas stations or restaurants, and my daily commute? There’s a missing bend in the road all together. Hence the phone! I’m sure if I got a new disk I’d use it more, but I just can’t justify that kind of purchase at this point

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as you have the most up to date disk I assume, I don’t get gas stations or restaurants, and my daily commute? There’s a missing bend in the road all together. Hence the phone! I’m sure if I got a new disk I’d use it more, but I just can’t justify that kind of purchase at this point

That makes sense, everybody has a different context. As a family we go on a ton of road trips, at least once a month, so I use those features quite often.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts

I do the same thing using my iphone and navi together. I love to try local restaurants in/out of town and use "find nearest restaurant" function and then use my smartphone to look at the star rating. The +10 MDXs have XM weather/traffic and that has saved me a few times and did auto re-direct on congested road when traveling out of state. I also like to use the "go home" or "previous destination" if I'm out of town and not 100% sure how get back to the hotel when out and about or not sure of the fastest way to access the hwy to head home. The +10 MDX navi has an option to load in addresses my phone number or use zip first to narrow down the city. Really come in handy to use Siri to find nearest Sam's Club or Costco for gas in a different city and input the phone number to load the address on the fly. I can only do this on my 11 MDX with the hard-drive based navi. Still have to use navi knob or touch screen to input every letter/number on my TSX or RDX.

Reactions: ConnorTX

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This secondary backup is pretty foolproof for basic navigation. Unless you spill a huge drink all over it. In which case, it will cost $15 or so at the next gas station to replace it, or roughly 1/10 the cost of a Nav update. But you might have to ask for directions once in a while. ( YIKES! )

https://www.randmcnally.com/product/road-atlas
Lol. I remember growing up with Mapsco where you had a huge appendix of all streets, and then would flip to the sector/grid location (e.g. K7) to find out where you needed to go, then had to figure out how to get there from sector B13 one square at a time. Good memories.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.