Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone out there is contemplating Lasik surgery, I just had it performed on Monday to correct nearsightedness and things are looking good! No pain at all during the procedure and since then the only discomfort is from my eyes being dry. My vision was 20/20 the day after, and may still improve. My wife was able to watch the surgery on a big screen (she was a little squeamish) and was so impressed with the procedure, facility, doctor and my progress that she has already schedule her surgery.

If anyone is on the fence, go to a consultation and learn about it. I'm very pleased, and love the fact that I'm not going to have to wear glasses again (hope).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I can vouch for Lasik surgery!

It has been 1 1/2 months since my wife and I had the surgery done. She is at 20/15 and I am at 20/20, no more fumbling over things in the middle of the night and no more contacts to put in your eyes in the morning when you're half awake!

We would do it all over again, without any hesitation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Yep, Lasik as fantastic! Had it done 3 years ago and still am amazed at the clarity of my vision. Still at 20/15
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Lasik

Got mine in January. Love it. Just renewed my License and for the first time ever did not have a restriction that noted I needed vision correction!

To those recovering, my doc said the more you can keep the eyes closed that first 1/2-1 day the better healing. Mine are great and no dryness.

Good luck to all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Scotty and others:

Congrats on the great outcomes of your Lasik procedures. There are a great many success stories out there. They are the rule, thankfully, not the exceptions. However...

Be wary. In much research I have found the following issues to be concerned about.

1) Make sure you are a candidate for the surgery according to the manufacturer of the laser. Some surgeons will perform the surgery for patients who fall outside the envelope, with results varying from good to tragic.

2) Not all lasers are created equal. Some are 69 Impalas, some are 01 MDXs. Make sure the surgeon has the latest laser. The industry is making leaps forward in technology at staggering rates. The latest Visx laser has far better outcomes with fewer complications than lasers from just a few years ago.

3) Make sure your surgeon has performed many procedures. Sources say at least 500. Ask. Period.

4) It is advisable that you use a surgical group that has their OWN laser. Many doc-in-the-boxes share the (sometimes less than sterile) laser with other groups of doctors. Do you let all your friends borrow your MDX?

5) Make sure the surgeon that does your procedure is the one who will you will see for follow up visits. Many surgeons "roam" from city to city to perform surgeries, and your after care may be done by optometrists (not surgeons), or worse, office staff. You may never see your surgeon again...

6) Visit http://www.surgicaleyes.com. Yeah, this site has all the train wrecks, but it is an informative primer on the stuff your surgeon does not want you to see. (For those who went through the surgery, do you remember the possible complication "death" on the consent form?)

Good luck to all who choose the surgery. In the coming years it will get even better.

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed,
Thank you for the surgical eyes website. I find it rather informative and will have my wife visit the site before her surgery scheduled for 2 weeks. You bring up some very interesting points in your message. I had my surgery at TLC Eye Center, a good quality facility. The expense was greater than a lot of other facilities offering the procedure, but their reputation and experience was worth it to me. My Brother had his surgery just under a year ago at the same facility, and we discussed all the research into the surgery and facility at that time.

My follow-up is with an external optometrist, as my surgeon is based out of PA, and travels to Ft. Laud twice monthly. (He runs a TLC facility in PA, and performs surgery in Manhattan as well as Ft. Laud) Since my wife will been using the same surgeon for her surgery, I think I'll schedule a follow-up appointment with him for that same day... thanks for the tip. TLC provided a bio on each of their 3 surgeons, in case I was uncomfortable with my choice. My surgeon was actually different from my Brother's, based on my available schedule and discussions with the staff at TLC. Naturally, each of the surgeons are highly regarded by the staff at TLC, however, a few did suggest a preference for my surgeon.

My wife and I have a friend that did have some of the complications discussed at the Surgical Eyes website. She went to a local Dr. that was about half the cost of my surgery. I believe her primary problem (starry light effect) passed with healing, yet it illustrates the need to understand the possible complications and to perform your homework up front. We're not talking about drilling a cavity that any qualified dentist (no disrespect whatsoever to the profession) can perform... this is your vision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Glad to hear this

ScottyB,
I am taking my wife tomorrow, in the MDX of course, to have her lasik surgery. She has been bugging me about it for years and I finally gave in. The surgeon is local and has his own facility and will do the follow up examination Saturday morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Glad to hear this

remery said:
ScottyB,
I am taking my wife tomorrow, in the MDX of course, to have her lasik surgery. She has been bugging me about it for years and I finally gave in. The surgeon is local and has his own facility and will do the follow up examination Saturday morning.
Best of luck Remery. It's really an enlightening experience that I'll soon take for granted. I'm looking forward to going out and finding a cool pair of cheap sunglasses... have to dig out the old ZZ Top cassette to jam in the MDX!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I gave one of my married daughters a gift of lasik surgery about three years ago. The California blonde has had to endure these Coke bottle type glasses since she was in junior high. What a difference it made in all regards, vision, convenience, looks etc.
To anyone contemplating the surgery - do your homework, find the right surgeon and I think you will be pleased with the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I can see

Had the surgery done by Dr. Filatov in NYC at the end of February. Was seeing 20/15 the next day. The best thing I have ever done. Wife and brother-in-law got it done a week later. I was the guinea pig.

He said if I can get 5 people to do it, he will give me my money back. I got 2 so far. If anybodywants it done - please use my name as a referral. The cost is between 1500-2500 dollars depending on your site and stigmaism.

Check out http://www.diamondvison.org

Tell them Arun Malhotra recommended you and let me know if you did it and what you think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,866 Posts
Anyone have this done in the NY area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
ScottyB said:
Just in case anyone out there is contemplating Lasik surgery, I just had it performed on Monday to correct nearsightedness and things are looking good! No pain at all during the procedure and since then the only discomfort is from my eyes being dry. My vision was 20/20 the day after, and may still improve. My wife was able to watch the surgery on a big screen (she was a little squeamish) and was so impressed with the procedure, facility, doctor and my progress that she has already schedule her surgery.

If anyone is on the fence, go to a consultation and learn about it. I'm very pleased, and love the fact that I'm not going to have to wear glasses again (hope).
My wife was considering Lasik until we notices that the doctor that was to perform the surgery was wearing glasses. When I asked him if he was willing to have the same Lasik that he endorsed and performed, he said "no". That is were we stopped and opted to not go through with the surgery as there is no "guarantee" at all when it comes to Lasik!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Had mine done by TLC

I had been done my TLC in Annapolis 2 months ago. I was 20/20 the very next day. Both my normal eye doc and the doc doing the procedure had LASIK done.

My eyesight has changed with each visit but they say that is normal for the first couple months. At my last check up I was back to 20/20 in my right was a little off on my left (but that's a whole different story with my lazy eye and 2 surgeries to correct that)

I waited 2 years before finally doing and this year I maxed out my flex spending account, so the procedure was basically with tax free money and I was able to get an additional $1000 off due to by Vision insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,866 Posts
rvehock said:


My wife was considering Lasik until we notices that the doctor that was to perform the surgery was wearing glasses. When I asked him if he was willing to have the same Lasik that he endorsed and performed, he said "no". That is were we stopped and opted to not go through with the surgery as there is no "guarantee" at all when it comes to Lasik!!!!!!!!!!
Did he say why he wouldn't get it done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
laborlitigator said:


Did he say why he wouldn't get it done?
Yeah, really. I would think everyone would ask him why he wears glasses. It is possible his vision can not be corrected that way.
But he should say that.
Either that or he has no interest in making lots of money doing it, and does it because other doctors do. None of any of this makes much sense.
Let's hope his glasses don't fall off while he is doing surgery on others. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
I know a ER doc that used to work with me that had Lasik done, and now has severe retina damage and has been found legally blind!!!:eek: His disability insurance was really crappy, plus his corporation was paying for it, so he is being taxed on a really small monthly amount. He had to sell his house, his wife had to go back to work, had to "downgrade" cars, etc. Really sad story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Re: Had mine done by TLC

darkhelmet said:
I had been done my TLC in Annapolis 2 months ago. I was 20/20 the very next day. Both my normal eye doc and the doc doing the procedure had LASIK done.

My eyesight has changed with each visit but they say that is normal for the first couple months. At my last check up I was back to 20/20 in my right was a little off on my left (but that's a whole different story with my lazy eye and 2 surgeries to correct that)

I waited 2 years before finally doing and this year I maxed out my flex spending account, so the procedure was basically with tax free money and I was able to get an additional $1000 off due to by Vision insurance.
Were you at all concerned with possible complications. I've researched it pretty thoroughly, and although the risk is slight, it is not insignificant--I recall something like 2-5 % of people get halos around lights at night. Did you experience any of that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Re: Re: Had mine done by TLC

norcalchuck said:


Were you at all concerned with possible complications. I've researched it pretty thoroughly, and although the risk is slight, it is not insignificant--I recall something like 2-5 % of people get halos around lights at night. Did you experience any of that?
No halos or any side effects, beyond the first 30 minutes. Felt like I had sand in my eyes but you can't rub them. As soon as I got home, I took a nap. I was able to watch TV 2 hours later which shocked my Doctors when they called that night to check on me.

I was concerned as one should be for any procedure involving one's eyes but I figured the procedure has been out for awhile now and most of the "bugs" should be worked out of it. I have had eye surgery twice in the past to correct a lazy eye and that is much worse. All I will say is that they had to shorten up the muscles behind my eyeball so they would be stronger, you all can figure out how they got to them.

As for LASIK, my recommendation is go for it!!! Just do your homework and find a Doctor you trust and feel comfortable with!!
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
20 Participants
MtnMDX
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing
Top