Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car with the laser cruise that senses vehicles ahead of you (Acura Watch). In traffic, I find that it applies the brakes rather abruptly, even after adjusting distance.

My question......since I can't follow and watch my brake lights, does anyone know if the brake lights come on when a real abrupt slow down occurs, like when someone changes lanes in front of you. I'm guessing there must be some sort of calculation being made by a computer to determine if lights should come on.

It seems under conditions described above, you could be easily rear ended by an inattentive driver who doesn't see any brake lights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes they do come on when ever the brakes are applied.
When I drove home from the dealer my wife was following and I
asked her that exact question.

·
Registered
942 Posts
These systems are clearly not ready for prime time yet. My forward collision warning system false triggers more often than when there really is a threat.

I hope that they address this issue like they did with the CMBS update.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I always viewed ACC and CMBS as a safety net to help the driver that leans more toward being a defensive compared to normal or aggressive. It seems the system tries to give you every opportunity to override until the last minute compared to being a 100% hands free system. Oddly, I adjust the ACC to its shortest distance when the traffic on the hwy gets heavy for best driveability (less defensive and more normal to aggressive). Keeping the interval shorter between vehicles on busy hwys at +75 mph prevents aggressive drivers from cutting me off if set to longer intervals. The system ends up braking too hard and accelerating too slow to keep up with traffic flow. I leave the system on; but, I end up using paddles, gas and brakes to keep up with traffic flow.

Unless more vehicles have similar systems and driving dynamics change; the Acura system will always be at a disadvantage. Acura watch is reactive compared to the human driver that is a combo of proactive and reactive. I don't know how Acura can make Acura watch proactive without the driver being engaged?:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts