Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 MDX ping pongs between lane markers when using lane trackin. It does not track straight between markings… anyone else see this issue??? My friends CRV tracks 🐾 straight and keeps itself perfectly centered….

·
Registered
518 Posts
Look at the indicator in the mid display between gages to see if the lines are solid or dashed. If not solid it can't get a good track, ur not going fast enough or the corner is too sharp for it to work. If solid and not working in straight line with visible lane markings when going 50mph+ then bring it to the dealer.

My 19 works fine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
2018 MDX Hybrid. I use my lane keeper all the time. Yes, I would agree at times feels like it ping pongs a bit and does not always get a corner just right, but it certainly is a great steering assist. Yes, these are drives at speed with solid lines. Drove the other day in high wind conditions and my take was it sure assisted keeping the car on track. Conditions that impact mine are roads that roll from one side to the other, if you know what I mean. Exits or side roads where the right white line goes away for just short distance does confuse the assist and car moves to the right even with the solid lines on the Lane Keeper Display.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I find mine quite good, but not perfect, which is fine with me. If yours is really ping-ponging, there's something wrong with it. Is the upper windshield (where the camera is) clean?

·
Registered
432 Posts
There has been a few reports on forums about distorted windshields. Take it to the dealer and have them calibrate the camera. If that does not fix the issue, then they should replace the windshield.
Had a strange one today, was coming home with lane keeep on, went around a corner at the same time cars were coming at me. Got the brake warning even when the road was clear in front of me. I suspect the radar saw the cars as being in my lane. No big deal. This technology is still in its infancy and will still have bugs at times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove my 2018 on a trip to Illinois right after getting it and I used LKA a lot. I found that if the road was nice and flat with no crosswind LKA did very well and stayed straight. Uneven roads and crosswinds did cause it to ping pong.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There has been a few reports on forums about distorted windshields. Take it to the dealer and have them calibrate the camera. If that does not fix the issue, then they should replace the windshield.
Had a strange one today, was coming home with lane keeep on, went around a corner at the same time cars were coming at me. Got the brake warning even when the road was clear in front of me. I suspect the radar saw the cars as being in my lane. No big deal. This technology is still in its infancy and will still have bugs at times.

In a recent interview the #1 guy in the world as to this technology said not in the lifetime of anyone alive today will this technology be reliable in a way we would expect. It is only an assist, and not meant to rely on.

·
Registered
454 Posts
<div>
It does not track straight between markings
Your Kidding right!

In a recent interview the #1 guy in the world as to this technology said
not in the lifetime of anyone alive today will this technology be
reliable in a way we would expect. It is only an assist, and not meant
to rely on.

This is where common sense and stupidity meet the road! The automakers add this garbage into vehicles to have one believe the car is safe or safer? There is a reason it is called "ASSIST" as it is incapable of reading the different road conditions whether it be broken lines. poorly painted lines or snow covered lines, and try it in pelting down rain and see how it works? Just another useless gizmo that sends a false sense of security and likely to cause more harm then good ! The same can be said for the "assisted" safety braking which does not always work or worse brakes the vehicle for no reason or lane change assist notification which too is imperfect an causes accidents. People become immune and take this false sense of security literally!

The question is not why is this not tracking but why is the manufacturer putting this in my vehicle when it does not properly function? The next question should be why would i jeopardize my family with such a technology that is prone to failure? These are the more important questions you need to be asking before purchasing your vehicles Remember these are "assisted" not "Preventive" devices and one needs to take them for what they are .bells and whistles that are not fully functional or reliable!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
<div> Your Kidding right!

to rely on.

This is where common sense and stupidity meet the road! The automakers add this garbage into vehicles to have one believe the car is safe or safer? There is a reason it is called "ASSIST" as it is incapable of reading the different road conditions whether it be broken lines. poorly painted lines or snow covered lines, and try it in pelting down rain and see how it works? Just another useless gizmo that sends a false sense of security and likely to cause more harm then good ! The same can be said for the "assisted" safety braking which does not always work or worse brakes the vehicle for no reason or lane change assist notification which too is imperfect an causes accidents. People become immune and take this false sense of security literally!

The question is not why is this not tracking but why is the manufacturer putting this in my vehicle when it does not properly function? The next question should be why would i jeopardize my family with such a technology that is prone to failure? These are the more important questions you need to be asking before purchasing your vehicles Remember these are "assisted" not "Preventive" devices and one needs to take them for what they are .bells and whistles that are not fully functional or reliable!
Having a bad day? These have never been marketed as being fool proof. You would only be jeopardizing your family if you were stupid enough to rely on these to drive your car. If you are then you are jeopardizing your family every time you drive. You are painting everything with a broad brush. Rear cross traffic alert and blind spot detection are very useful. It’s like the ekg function of the Apple Watch. There may be false positives but,the good outways the bad.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Having a bad day? These have never been marketed as being fool proof. You would only be jeopardizing your family if you were stupid enough to rely on these to drive your car. If you are then you are jeopardizing your family every time you drive. You are painting everything with a broad brush. Rear cross traffic alert and blind spot detection are very useful. It’s like the ekg function of the Apple Watch. There may be false positives but,the good outways the bad.

Actually he is correct in my opinion. We are all paying for these devices in present and future dollars. I personally have no need to tell me that I need to brake or stay in my lane. ABS yes I think that worthwhile, and so is traction control as long as one recognizes a need to drive safely and not let the car do the thinking. Frankly, I was looking at some articles on AI lately and it is scary as heck. The PERCEPTION in many circles is that with the correct algorithm the computer can make more and better conclusions than people can. The Danes are working on a new program to dole out money to the needy, and find fraud. The system will even predict which children need to be removed from their parents because of potential future abuse - in other words you bought too many bottle of beer in too short a period of time, and your payment history to others suggests you are irresponsible in handling your affairs. Wait until here in the USA the lane assist and braking suggest to your insurance company that you aren't that good of a driver and they rate your policy. We had far fewer people hitting us when the biggest distraction was pressing radio buttons. A recent billboard here in Sacramento on the freeway (one of the most accident prone areas in the USA) said, "Why wait until you get home to get your e-mails when you can be getting your mail and sending messages to your friends right now on the way home!" Then it showed of a specific car manufacturer a dash with a fully implemented smart phone interface that is functional while you are driving. Having been totaled by distracted drivers twice in the last 8 years I am done with this crap. In fact - the BRAKE did not even go off when a gal came at me head on. My reaction making it a glancing blow instead of direct head on, (and not that of the car computer), saved my life, her life, and her children's lives. Had BRAKE startled me I would have lost that reaction time time like happens every single time BRAKE goes off. It is like having a passenger say, "look out" so suddenly you are looking everywhere for the danger, and it turns out that they were going to say, "look out over there, they painted their house."

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Actually he is correct in my opinion. We are all paying for these devices in present and future dollars. I personally have no need to tell me that I need to brake or stay in my lane. ABS yes I think that worthwhile, and so is traction control as long as one recognizes a need to drive safely and not let the car do the thinking. Frankly, I was looking at some articles on AI lately and it is scary as heck. The PERCEPTION in many circles is that with the correct algorithm the computer can make more and better conclusions than people can. The Danes are working on a new program to dole out money to the needy, and find fraud. The system will even predict which children need to be removed from their parents because of potential future abuse - in other words you bought too many bottle of beer in too short a period of time, and your payment history to others suggests you are irresponsible in handling your affairs. Wait until here in the USA the lane assist and braking suggest to your insurance company that you aren't that good of a driver and they rate your policy. We had far fewer people hitting us when the biggest distraction was pressing radio buttons. A recent billboard here in Sacramento on the freeway (one of the most accident prone areas in the USA) said, "Why wait until you get home to get your e-mails when you can be getting your mail and sending messages to your friends right now on the way home!" Then it showed of a specific car manufacturer a dash with a fully implemented smart phone interface that is functional while you are driving. Having been totaled by distracted drivers twice in the last 8 years I am done with this crap. In fact - the BRAKE did not even go off when a gal came at me head on. My reaction making it a glancing blow instead of direct head on, (and not that of the car computer), saved my life, her life, and her children's lives. Had BRAKE startled me I would have lost that reaction time time like happens every single time BRAKE goes off. It is like having a passenger say, "look out" so suddenly you are looking everywhere for the danger, and it turns out that they were going to say, "look out over there, they painted their house."
Since this was a billboard,why wouldn’t you say what stupid mfg is advertising this? I’m not going to argue opinion. The IIHS,which clearly has the incentive to have as few accidents as possible believes these AIDS help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What we have today is one step into an era of rapdily changing technology. Sometimes it’s hard to understand what good it does, and where it is all going.

Some features have a reasonably clear application and benefit. The one that slams the brakes on in the event of an impending collision seems like a good idea, so long as it works and there aren’t false positives; but, it’s like the fall detection on my watch, I guess I will just have to hope that it works when it is needed because I really don’t have any good way of testing it out. I like the adaptive cruise control, but my wife hates it and has it turned off. The features that warns me that I am wandering off the road is nice. And so forth.

Then I get to lane keeping assist. WTF is the point? Under what conditions am I supposed to get a benefit from it? What are the limitations? Why shouldn’t I be fearful of a technlogy that is being placed into the hands of some people who are real morons? The only thing that I can think of is that it is a step into some sort of future that isn’t clear, that I am being conditioned to accept and get a feel for where technology is taking me.

I have many years of experience in computer design. At one point I was involved with a group of very smart AI programmers, so I knew something about the capabililities and limitations. I cannot for the life of me see how AI is going to be able to handle all of the driving conditions that humans deal with. But I am old and 20+ years obsolete in a technology that is evolving at a dizzying pace, so I have lost track of where it can all go - I am now a layman, dazzled like everybody else with the pace of change and with no real insight into what may be possible.

5G technology is now being deployed. 5G apparently has the bandwidth and capacity to deal with real time, detailed traffic information and control. We have all seen what drone swarms can look like. I see no reason in principle that cars cannot be like drones as they interact with each other as they are going down the road. So, I can get inklings of possiblities for things to come, but I can’t quite see it.

I sit here and think about lane keeping assist, and I have no clear sense of what present problem it is solving. But it’s obvious that in a world of true, autonomous vehicles we will need to keep the car on the road, just like we will need to keep cars from bouncing off each other, and we will need to have them chart the best course to the destination, etc. Maybe lane keeping assist only makes sense as a transitional form, a thing that is taking us someplace. I will just have to wait and see.

“The future, Mister Gitts. The future!”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO.. I am not kidding...

My wife's car tracks perfectly aligned in the lane markings. My MDX does not. I was trying to discover if this was a systemic problem across all MDX's or if my SUV is defective.

Several owners were kind enough to respond with their MDX experiences without bloviating on autonomous driving.

In the end it appears that Acura's lane keeping assist is only an aid that does no compare with the semi autonomous driving features of either Volvo or Mercedes. Both of which have superb systems..

·
Registered
712 Posts
NO.. I am not kidding...

My wife's car tracks perfectly aligned in the lane markings. My MDX does not. I was trying to discover if this was a systemic problem across all MDX's or if my SUV is defective.

Several owners were kind enough to respond with their MDX experiences without bloviating on autonomous driving.

In the end it appears that Acura's lane keeping assist is only an aid that does no compare with the semi autonomous driving features of either Volvo or Mercedes. Both of which have superb systems..
If you say so. Tesla has had deaths for sure, and this is suspected to be a Mercedes one. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812544

·
Registered
1 Posts
<div> Your Kidding right!

to rely on.

I love it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have seen the brake light multiple times in this "cornering" situation. Glad it does not go into thew braking mode in the corner!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I use LKAS only when driving on long hwy runs. I it helps with steering inputs to make it feel less fatiguing and relaxing on long boring hwy runs with gradual turns. I have to still pay attention because LKAS will steer me into the exit ramp lanes as the road gets wider instead of going straight if I don't give it steering inputs. Notice LKAS steers more to the left if there are left lane exits on 4 lane divided state hwys when I'm in the fast lane.

I leave the RDW on all the time because it makes me use my turn signals when changing lanes, no steering inputs like LKAS, and give me a steering wheel warning if I do happen to cross the lanes (a lot more distractions in city driving compared to hwy).

I don't expect all that much from AcuraWatch other than giving me a quick assist if I'm distracted for a split second. I like that it is available and always watching the road for me. I'm not expecting AcuraWatch to replace; but, assist me in driving duties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts