Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving home a few days ago, in a far left lane, slowly rolling to the the red traffic light. There was only one other car on a road, waiting by the same intersection for the green light. The light then turned green, I started to accelerate and suddenly the other car -that was on the right of me- decided to make a sharp LEFT turn right into my path... I had nowhere to go, it was in front of me may be in 5-6 feet... Poor Corolla sustained heavy damage, hit in a drivers rear side, almost split in half. My front end damage: both fenders, hood, grill, bumper, lower lights....
Got a word from the insurance company today- total loss.....
Was a perfectly good vehicle that never gave me any troubles. I am so sad now. :frown2: waiting for the final numbers from the insurance adjuster, don't know yet how much they are going to offer...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Man that doesn´t look like a total loss to me, Insurance Companies are sure drama queens but I reckon that if the Air Bags Deployed? That is more likely the reason to total it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The way you described it, it seems the Acura won that fight haha. I have a 08 mdx also, it's been a great vehicle so far. I'm glad there was no injuries. Are you gonna continue on with another mdx?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
perfectly great vehicle lost all due to someone who likely shouldn't be driving- hope you can sue that reckless driver!!!

i'm not the fighting type- but if that happened to my X- i'd likely be torn between celebrating (for all the headaches my 2nd gen MDX had given me during some tough periods) or 'throwing the hands' (figuratively speaking of course- for all the times this car has been incredibly reliable!!!)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This sounds like the same scenario that happened to my daughter. She was in the left turn lane waiting on the light, when it changed the car next to her tried to make a left in front of her. She hit the driver's door of the other car with her right front. Not sure what some people are thinking....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You should buy the car back and I think this is an easy repair. BTW, what is the mileage?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way you described it, it seems the Acura won that fight haha. I have a 08 mdx also, it's been a great vehicle so far. I'm glad there was no injuries. Are you gonna continue on with another mdx?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yes Acura did win the fight but lost the war:frown2:.... Here is a picture of another vehicle:

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should buy the car back and I think this is an easy repair. BTW, what is the mileage?
My MDX had 85,000 miles on it - around 135,000KM. The REPAIRES are mostly cosmetic but it needs new fenders, hood, front grill and bumper and few lights. There could possibly be some other minor things like window washer fluid tank that needs to be replaced. Buddy of mine estimated the REPAIRES to be around $10-$12K at the body shop.
The similar cars like mine are sold here for around $15-20K , the black book value is between $9 and $13K. I'm not getting it back....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Assuming no frame damage or suspension damage, you could technically get all parts used in your color on eBay for ~$1500 if you're resourceful and patient and bolt it up yourself. Of course not everyone has the time/skills/inclination. That's another story.

Did you find out how much the buy back price is? I'm sure there are '10+ peeps that want the motor.

Btw, dibs on the HFL module. LOL!

Either way, glad everyone is ok.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm glad you walked away with no injury. Time to go shopping for a new and shiny MDX.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Police and insurance comp have no doubt who is at fault here. Dash cam wouldn't do much here but it is nice to have for sure.
I have heard today from the adjuster and was able to negotiate the buy out amount and will be paid $21,000. It is a good deal since cost of vehicles like mine were selling for 15-20K.
Now I'm starting to look for a new vehicle. Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
21? Holy ****!... I paid 9K for my Tech + RES 2007 Clean Title with 72K on the ODO.. Now I have 93K on it... I wonder how much I would get...

·
Registered
798 Posts
$21k? You def made out like a bandit. What insurance company is willing to pay this if you don't mind me asking?

Time to hit a tree... Lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep in mind that the OP is in Canada. We pay thousands more in Canada for an MDX made in Canada than you do in the US. (I realize that they are not made in Canada any more.)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Keep in mind that the OP is in Canada. We pay thousands more in Canada for an MDX made in Canada than you do in the US. (I realize that they are not made in Canada any more.)
In that event, is it easy to sell a US car to a Canadian properly?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I live in Canada and have an 04 MDX...time to test my ability to incite bad left turns from other drivers. What did you say that lady's name was again? :)

That is an incredible payout...of course, glad you are OK and were not seriously injured.

·
Registered
278 Posts
An elderly woman hit a vw passat I was driving some months ago, she tried to lie her way out, changing her story twice. I luckily had a dash cam and it was hard getting the file to the insurance company, took like 2 months for them to approve a file transfer but the day they received the video they found her at fault. Very important to have a dash cam in case the other person is a liar, even a 72 year old. You can't trust anyone these days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
qqzj: It's been a long time since I looked into buying in the US and bringing back to Canada, so some of the rules may have changed. Some of the issues then were that the speedometer needed to be changed out to read in kilometers, not miles. There was some issue with the hold downs for child seats that had to be addressed, also.

Of course, now, the big issues is the value of our dollar compared to yours. The current exchange rate is some thing like $1.35. So, if you want to sell me your car for 10,000 US, it will cost me 13,500 Cdn. Then, on importation, I have to pay 13% of the Cdn value in HST. So, now the car you sold for 10,000 US is up to over 15,000 to me. Then, I have the cost of whatever mods I need to do to meet Cdn standards.

A few years ago, when our dollar was at par or even a little higher than the US dollar, some dealerships in the US close to the border were doing a brisk business selling to Canadians. Between the fact that the same car sells new in the US for thousands less than in Canada, and the high Canadian dollar, business was brisk. It was so brisk that some Canadian dealers complained to the auto companies. In response, some of them told their US dealers that if they sold to a Canadian, they could/would lose their dealership. There were ways around that, of course, but it sure put a dent in things. Then, to add to the deterrent, Canadians were told by some of the manufacturers that their new car warranty was void if the US car was imported into Canada. That issue would be waived if a US resident bought the car in the US, then later moved to Canada, but if the purchase was simply cross border shopping, no warranty.

So, to make a very long story short, you may not be able to sell your US used car to a Canadian as easily as you may have hoped. :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Thanks. Very informative.

qqzj: It's been a long time since I looked into buying in the US and bringing back to Canada, so some of the rules may have changed. Some of the issues then were that the speedometer needed to be changed out to read in kilometers, not miles. There was some issue with the hold downs for child seats that had to be addressed, also.

Of course, now, the big issues is the value of our dollar compared to yours. The current exchange rate is some thing like $1.35. So, if you want to sell me your car for 10,000 US, it will cost me 13,500 Cdn. Then, on importation, I have to pay 13% of the Cdn value in HST. So, now the car you sold for 10,000 US is up to over 15,000 to me. Then, I have the cost of whatever mods I need to do to meet Cdn standards.

A few years ago, when our dollar was at par or even a little higher than the US dollar, some dealerships in the US close to the border were doing a brisk business selling to Canadians. Between the fact that the same car sells new in the US for thousands less than in Canada, and the high Canadian dollar, business was brisk. It was so brisk that some Canadian dealers complained to the auto companies. In response, some of them told their US dealers that if they sold to a Canadian, they could/would lose their dealership. There were ways around that, of course, but it sure put a dent in things. Then, to add to the deterrent, Canadians were told by some of the manufacturers that their new car warranty was void if the US car was imported into Canada. That issue would be waived if a US resident bought the car in the US, then later moved to Canada, but if the purchase was simply cross border shopping, no warranty.

So, to make a very long story short, you may not be able to sell your US used car to a Canadian as easily as you may have hoped. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts