Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

ladder

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  LostCreekSooner 
#1 ·
I have been using a ladder to climb up wash the top of the MDX but it is quite cumbersome. I am 6' but damn it is a tall wide car. Anyone have another technique other than parking it next to a loading dock? On my CJ7 I could stand ton the tires but not on the MDX. I tried the doorsill but it is slippery and not much to grab on with no roof rails.

#2 ·
I used a small step ladder, for a while. Easy to move and not terribly cumbersome. If you're using a larger A-frame style ladder then I'd see how that would be inconvenient.

However, I've switched to paying someone to wash my vehicles. I found a guy that does great work. I make an appointment and he'll come to me. He has a van with water tank, pressure washer, and all the various soaps, dressings, clay bars, etc. He'll wash and detail the vehicle while I stay inside and work. Call me lazy... But it's just better.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-11-628ABK4-Solutions-Aluminum-Ladder/dp/B002DPVAPO

#4 ·
What about using one of those scrubbers that is on a pole?

Or how about a long painters step. They're aluminum, so they are probably light... And they're long so you just put it in place and you can walk several feet along the side of the car -- better than having to constantly move a ladder.

#5 ·
I do the same thing as you - I use a step ladder. It's a 3 step one that costs maybe $20 or so. It works well and suits the purpose. It's lightweight to move around and folds pretty flat for easy storage when not in use.

The tire hanging steps wouldn't provide adequate access to the whole vehicle without some stretching.

#9 ·
i use an extendable pole with a car wash brush. No ladder needed.
But that wouldn't work for the wax I put on it where I need to be closer to the surface to apply the appropriate amount of application and pressure. Even for a simple wash I'd need to get closer to the surface for the microfiber towel drying I do with it.

I don't see a problem with using the ladder - it works well to easily reach every square inch and isn't difficult to use unless one has balance or mobility issues at which point it might make sense to just have it washed by someone else.

#10 ·
I only do that once a year - I remove the wax, clay, wash and wax once a year generally after all the trees are done with pollen and sap. I have to get the ladder out for the top of the roof. Otherwise for every wash (when needed) I use a foam cannon with Maguire’s Ultimate Wash & Wax and a pole & brush. For drying I used the same pole on the brush for the top and wrap it with a larger microfiber towel.

Every now and then if I am at the right place at the right time I’ll hit the night wash so I can get a good undercarriage wash.

#12 ·
If you think this is tall and wide, try a Yukon XL!

I've been using a 3 ft step ladder for quite a while and it works for me. I always position it so I face the vehicle ever since I someone do it sideways and the ladder tipped into the door causing a nice dent and scratches.

I suspect the Cosco one from Amazon might be more comfortable to work on since it has a small platform to stand on vs. a narrow rung.

#17 ·
I just washed and waxed the MDX. At least with where I am, the pole technique wouldn't work very well for either. When washing I need to see the area fairly closely and see the pollen spots, tree sap, bee droppings, and any other kinds of crud spots. For some of these I end up using my thumbnail to get the spot off the surface. Simply washing over the area with a sponge/rag on a pole wouldn't get these spots off and being too far away they could be difficult to see but I want them off of there.

And of course, there's no way I'd be able t wax it without the ladder and being close enough to the surface. It could be dangerous on a driveway that has a fair amount of slope on it.

The ladder technique works well for me but I also have a big driveway area where part of it's fairly flat so it's not too dangerous to be on the ladder. The ladder itself never gets wet so that's not a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.