Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 02' X for about a month. I was driving it uphill today on the freeway and noticed it was very hard to accelerate it over 60mph. I didn't try to push the accelerator pedal to the floor, however I did downshift it to D4. I used to drive a Honda accord. When I downshifted it from D4 (normal driving) to D3 on the same uphill road, I saw the engine raving up immediately and output more power and I could easily get to 60mph. However I didn¡¦t see the same thing on my X and feel it¡¦s sluggish on accelerating on the uphill. Anything wrong with my X, or would that be it¡¦s still not completely brake-in (~600 mile now). In addition, what kind of acceleration performance should I expect for the X (especially compared it to a regular mid size sedan, like a 4cyl accord)? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
much better than a 4cyl accord

Your MDX should definitely out accelerate a 4cyl accord.

As for it not rev'ing when you down shifted, I would guess that it had already downshifted itself to the 4th gear.

My 2002 MDX drives about the same at 600 miles as it does now at about 7000 miles.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IMHO either:

(1) You need to push harder on the gas pedal.

or

(2) Your MDX needs a visit to the dealer.

The X is no 4-banger, it has gobbs of go. If you press on the gas it will downshift if it wants to and it definately will go when running right ...

ps - you might not want to watch the instantaneous gas mileage display when you press the pedal to the metal 'cause it may "edge downward slightly" [sorta like a brick being dropped from a roof]. But, the puppy will get up and go if you get on it a little.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I am sure X has enough energy to run on any highway. :D

I was so surprise to see its performance while I was trying to cut lines on the highway. Try to press your gas pedal harder... but not too hard, since you only have 600 miles on it.

- JTM

·
Registered
715 Posts
The power curve on this engine is amazing at 60mph+. When I need to punch it, it MOVES. I have left so many vehicles in my wake with mouths literally open as I accelerate to 80mph.

The VTEC loves it......but you may want to wait a few more miles before ya do it. I didn't feel comfortable until my first oil change at 3000 miles. Then I said, what the heck.....the only bad thing is that my mpg has dropped off a bit!;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
One month and less than 600 miles? We've had ours 10 days and already have put 700 miles on it. Get out there and drive man!

I have noticed on hills that you have to give it some gas or your mph will drop off. And since we have gone over the 600 miles break in period, I have also found that when you punch it, IT WILL GO! My suggestion is when you get through the break in period, step on the gas pedal and I don't think you will be having anymore problems getting above 60 mph. The MDX will move if you want it to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
bzhang_3:

I noticed the same lack of power during my test drive of the 2001 MDX as well as my new 2002 (2000 miles). This is especially noticeable on a uphill. Coming from driving a modified V8 on the Jeep and much peppier Andi and Acura sports sedans (all manual transmissions), it is a bit worrysome. I have even cut out the Weathertech floor mat so that I can floor the gas pedal, but that did not help much.

When I discovered down shifting to D3 and D4, life is good again. You should be able to see the RPM rev higher when you down shift. However, since this an automatic transmission, it does take a second or two for the engine to react. Also, downshift before you need the power is much more effective than shifting half way up the climb. If you still don't see any difference in the RPM guage or the power gain, contact your dealer.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Need to Downshift??

With the 5-speed, the X cruises at a fairly low RPM. Our X will automatically downshift going up a moderate hill at say 65 MPH [I usually am in cruise control]. I am somewhat surprised that you need to manually downshift the X [ours seeks a higher RPM under load without being coaxed].

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lack of Power? Not here!

Just drove it to L.A from S.F and back. If you know the route, there is a great big "hill" called the grapevine...no hesitation or lack of power at all...blew past by Expedition, couple of 320MLs, Tahoes, Trailblazer, Durangos, etc...nope, I do not think it was the others wathching out for the CHPs...right after the apex of the hill, they all blew by me. Yeah, my Trek bicycle go 100mph down the hill :D.

My mom thought it was the best riding thing...my father drove it and thought it was way above anything he ever drove (it was hard getting back the steering wheel from him..he wanted to drive on and on and on....)

Since your MDX is "new", I would wait until punching the pedal...or they call it "sudden acceleration..."

2 months and 2000 miles....wonderful driving experience, so far...

Mike

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Lack of Power? Not here!

megabuck2 said:
.right after the apex of the hill, they all blew by me.

Mike
As a 'native' Californian I have had that experience more than once over many years. Love that feeling letting it coast after the apex, and they zip by me...pedal to the metal and gritting their teeth.

Look forward to the same again when I get my X.

Breakfast at Harris' Ranch is always memorable too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
DaleB,

passed by Harris ranch many times wondering how their food was. College days....it seemed to expensive...now, just want to get to L.A or Back home. I guess I need to drop by and see.
So, what do you recommend at the 'Ranch'?

Regarding Coasting with the MDX. It seems MDX does not want to "coast" down hill. The grade logic control or something kicks in and it slows down going downhill. It was the damnest thing I ever felt. So I use gas going up hill and use gas going down the hill...go figure! With my maxima or my old bimmer, heck, it just coast without any gas...need to use the brakes to slow down to legal (70mph). But with the MDX, no need to brake, it will coast down at 60-65mph.

Mike

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
megabuck2 said:
DaleB,

passed by Harris ranch many times wondering how their food was. College days....it seemed to expensive...now, just want to get to L.A or Back home. I guess I need to drop by and see.
So, what do you recommend at the 'Ranch'?

Mike
They are famous for their steaks. They have an unlimited supply across the road, that 1000 or some acres of cattle is theirs. Somehow, the wind always seems to blowing away from the restaurant, fortunately!
Harris supplies many major rest. in Northern California.
We usually time them for breakfast. Give you lots of food, are fast and some of those cowgirls that wait on you only add to the nice meal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts