Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After 140,000 plus miles, I think its time to replace the struts/shocks. One front was replace under warranty by the dealer at about 40K. I am thinking KYB and happened to see that currently there is a $40 rebate if you buy the fronts and rears. In looking at RockAuto, I am thinking I will need the struts/shocks (of course) and front mounts. Does anyone have an opinion if I should replace more? They list a camber/caster bolt set but what is confusing to me is that they list 16mm, 17mm and 18mm? Also, it seems that some tend to replace the bolts on the rear shocks. How necessary is that? Oh, and also, anyone happen to have a current RockAuto discount code? My last one has expired.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I took a look at it and RockAuto does not have complete struts for all 4 corners. So you cannot use a code at RA. Have to look somewhere else. I did some calculation before, replacing the complete assembly is actually cheaper and safer when you use quality parts. Now u can get $100 rebate if you replace with 4 strut-plus.

Here is a code anyway:

7690637438990886 expires on April 1, 2018

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi All,

After 140,000 plus miles, I think its time to replace the struts/shocks. One front was replace under warranty by the dealer at about 40K. I am thinking KYB and happened to see that currently there is a $40 rebate if you buy the fronts and rears. In looking at RockAuto, I am thinking I will need the struts/shocks (of course) and front mounts. Does anyone have an opinion if I should replace more? They list a camber/caster bolt set but what is confusing to me is that they list 16mm, 17mm and 18mm? Also, it seems that some tend to replace the bolts on the rear shocks. How necessary is that? Oh, and also, anyone happen to have a current RockAuto discount code? My last one has expired.

Thanks,
Bob
What year is your MR2 with the bad shocks?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My MR2 was a 1989 Supercharged model. I reduced my herd last summer and it drew the short stick. Too many toys, not enough time, and a couple of kids makes a two seater pretty impractical. It is now enjoying life in Alberta, Canada. Sorry for the confusion. The post is about my 2008 MDX.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
If your 2008 is the Sport trim, you can buy kyb rear shocks, but the front is a different story.

You will have to buy the OEM front loaded complete assy., for a Base trim, from Acura.
The diameter of the Sport vs. Base "front shock" is different, so you can not remove the shock, from the front of a Sport trim and expect a Base trim's kyb shock to replace it. Later, after you have the Base trim's complete assy., then you can swap just the shock.

If your 2008 MDX is a Base model, then you can disassemble (cautiously and safely) the front assy. and swap in a kyb Base model shock.

Compressing any coil spring is dangerous, because any misalignment that you may incur will cause an explosion of parts, which will kill you.

Whether you have the Sport or the Base trim, I suggest that you buy the pre-loaded complete assy., for the front.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my 2008 is in fact a base model. Is there something more dangerous about the struts on an Acura than any other vehicle? I've been doing struts since the early 90's, just not on an Acura/Honda.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi All,

They list a camber/caster bolt set but what is confusing to me is that they list 16mm, 17mm and 18mm? Also, it seems that some tend to replace the bolts on the rear shocks. How necessary is that?
Thanks,
Bob
You don't need any camber/caster bolts. I bought some because I'm lowered ~2" but even then I didn't need them as my alignment guy was able to adjust it back to specs with the original bolts.

As for the rear, if you're MDX lived anytime in the snow states, I highly recommend you take it somewhere to get them loose if you don't have 800+ ft/lb impact gun. If you've ever done rear LCA on a 80's Honda, you'll understand this one. This is the one time I actually had to pay a good shop to remove them. Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.