Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and just wanted to say that the people on this forum - I have been reading up on you'all for a month now - kick ass! Sorry,...kick booty! Everyone seems very helpful and pleasant. And as you know, this is rarely seen on most forums. I have learned a ton about the MDX and I don't even own one!

My wife and I are obsessed about getting an MDX but admit that the purchase of a new one would no doubt be a financial stretch for us. Has anyone had any "luck" in buying a demo from a dealer or a used MDX from someplace like Autotrader.com? Obviously with it only being in production 2 years, these will be hard to come by. I should be patient and wait for the Honda Pilot and 2003 MDX's to come out to influence the sellers market but the MDX sickness has taken over...You know its bad when you and your wife start slapping high 5's after spotting the Redrock Pearl at Home Depot...

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I would think the Honda Pilot would be a good choice. Direct competition in the Toyota Highlander price range.
I had looked at the Highlander myself, but by the time you got it loaded with options you were in MDX territory, so why not go with the king?
Not a bad vehicle though, but only 2 rows of seats, and an archaic 4 wheel drive system, but I imagine much of that will change will 2003.
I would hold out for the Pilot in your situation. I don't see how you could go wrong.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, by the time the Pilot comes out you should be starting to see the first batches of 3-year lease return MDXs showing up. Then you'll have a REAL dilemma! :D

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just like Odyssey and MDX, I am expecting a long wait line for pilot once it is out. If you are interesting on it, make your action as early as possible.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
FIXX, you & the missus are clearly MDX material - save those pennies, cut some corners here & there and go for it! Life's too short to not go after what you want!

And thanks for your compliments to the site - it's a great bunch of folks! :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
A Great Choice...

MDXtheFIXX said:
.. I should be patient and wait for the Honda Pilot and 2003 MDX's ..
Given the success of Oddysey and MDX, the Pilot is going to be another wait. I would think the base model could be at least $5000 from the base of MDX but it will not be as much luxury.

Most people do not have all the $$ to spend, but life is just a matter of priority. If this is important to you, you will find a way to cut the less important spending. Driving is such a big part of life that it can add your enjoyment and satisfaction daily. If you buy it and keep it for a long time, it should end up cheaper than buying junk every 3 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ghost – You should consider entering the “motivational speaker” line of work. Penny-pinching has commenced.

I think some people have misunderstood my question. I will no doubt be a MDX owner by fall, I was just wondering if you’ all thought that with the introduction of the Pilot and the 2003 X
the market would become more competitive – i.e. less of a sellers market and more room for negotiation. I just can’t see myself purchasing a vehicle at MSRP. Thats why I was thinking about buying a demo.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't think you'll save much by buying a demo, or even used -- supply and demand, y'know.

BTW, none of us could have seen ourselves purchasing at MSRP -- but we did! I just pretend that MSRP was $3500 higher, and my wife and I got a great deal!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd have to agree with frostyra. We were just at the dealer here in Nashville this am for routine maintenance on the TL. They have two '01 MDXs on the lot. With & without Nav. Husband was thinking potential of becoming a 2 MDX family until we talked to the salesman. The MB Touring w/Navi & 30K miles is listing for $39,500. He said they weren't negotiating on it, and had sold two '01s previously for that same rate with no problem. So...we'll remain a TL & soon to be MDX family for the time being.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's amazing. I just saw a very similar MDX on a lot here in Jackson. It was a Mahogany Pearl Touring w/o nav sold in 11/00 with 28,159 miles on the odo. The only accessories I could see were mud flaps and fender flares. According to the window sticker the dealer is asking $36,998.

It looks like frostyra is right. Trade-ins and demos sell for almost the cost of a new MDX. That is probably because some people are willing to pay $$ to get one right now. Until there are new ones on lots waiting for owners, the prices on used MDXs will stay high.

- Conrad

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fixx

When I purchased my MDX in Nov 2001, the dealer had a 2001 Silver, base MDX with 11,500 miles. They wanted over MSRP for a used model, I told him I didn't mind waiting to get a new one at MSRP.

He said since it was readily available, they were selling it over MSRP.

The MDX is an awesome vehicle and I'm quite sure the Honda Pilot will be just as nice. I think the deciding factor between the two is LUXURY. The Pilot will have the room, ride quality, performance and reliability as the MDX. I wish the MDX had the Video Entertainment system like the Pilot, maybe the 2003 model will.

Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks papawoolf for the encouragement. We will definitely check out the Pilot - but hell, the X was a blast to test drive, the standard luxury is the best part, AND if all of the cool, friendly members of this forum drive it - it has to worth it. Hopefully you'all won't mind a non-MDX owner hangin' out in the club...that is at least till fall! Spring/Summer penny-pinching in-progress :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
To MDXtheFixx

A bit off topic, but I just couldn't resist:

I love that song "One Thing Leads To Another" :D

Would love to see you driving that 'X,

-John

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with ghost - you will kick yourself for not getting the MDX. Whatever else you get - imagine now pulling up along side your beloved MDX......not worth it. The MDX is not that expensive anyway, plus, the resale value will be about as high as any car that you can own this side of Maranello (that should offset the cost some in the long run).;)

Best of luck to 'ya!

·
Registered
87 Posts
rroof,
That is exactly the rationalization I used when I decided to buy an MDX rather than a Mazda Tribute. I figured if I sold the vehicle in 3-5 years, I would get back most of the difference in cost. (That is, the MDX would still be worth $12-15K more than the Tribute.) In that case, my net cost for the advantages of the MDX would be zero (except for lost interest had I invested the difference).

On the other hand, if I don't trade the MDX in 5 years, it will be because I love it just like it is. In that case, it will have been well worth the difference. :D

- Conrad

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
re: trade-ins

I tend to mostly agree with conrad about the "retained value" of MDX vs other ute's BUT to get that "benefit" you'd have to part with your vehicle...

Similar dilema with a "lease" on a vehicle you really, really like. Anything you 'saved' by leasing instead of buying you lose if you decide to purchase at lease end IF the car truly does have high residual value...

It does, however, make the mental justification of sinking a pile of money into a rolling "depeciation machine" easier!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More props for MDX.org

DaleB just made a great point on a different forum topic but it nails my situation right on the head...

As I wait (saving cash) to see if competition helps curb the sellers market for the MDX, the interest rates will go up - nullifying any savings I might achieve this fall. Doh!

Went to my “local” dealer today (Ed Voyles in Atlanta) and it was barren of any X’s. I mean none!

Thanks again for all the encouraging words and suggestions.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Fixx

How about looking outside of Atlanta. In Dallas, I saw a SS MDX with 14k miles listed for $33,995. I suspect it must be the base or Touring.

go to autotrader and do a search.

good luck, and Congrats on making a smart decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MDXLuvr

My wife has noticed a few used MDX's on autotrader.com but what I wonder is...

After hearing all these great things about the X on this forum - why would anyone want to get rid of it unless it had some of the known problems with it (road noise, gas tank slushing, etc....) or was in an accident?

I can fly for free so buying an MDX somplace beside Atlanta would be fine (the drive back would be even better!).

·
Registered
87 Posts
MDXs available in Jackson

Last week there were 2 MDXs on the lot at Northpark Acura in Jackson, MS. One was Mesa Beige; the other was Silver. Both already had several accessories installed.

There was also an '01 Mahogany touring w/ navi with 30K on it at the Cadillac dealership. They wanted about $37K for it, so there wouldn't be much advantage, if you could get a new one.

By the way, some people trade their MDXs because they find that they can't really afford the payments, others have a change in their life styles, still others find that they really want a different kind of vehicle (smaller, larger, more 'off road', more power, etc.), some even trade an '01 MDX for an '02 :D .

- Conrad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
conradsmith
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing