Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to figure out if its possible to open the lift gate while a Kuat NV is folded up.

I recently purchased a '14 advanced and am trying to determine which hitch (OEM or aftermarket) to buy. I will probably be purchasing a Kuat NV (older model) from a friend or a new NV 2.0 and eventually getting the 2 bike add-on for road trips.

I was originally planning on buying the OEM hitch but realized if got an aftermarket hitch instead, the rack will sit a few inches lower overall, which might give me a better chance of being able to open the hatch without needed to fold down the bike rack. When I am using my current Kuat NV (1.25" hitch on a sedan) around town, I normally don't have the work stand attachment installed (just the plastic end cap). Anyone have any experience with this (with or without the work stand)?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm going to say probably not. I have a Sherpa 2.0 and a Curt hitch (so not OEM and thus lower), and the Sherpa definitely needs to be at least partially down in order for the lift gate to open. To be honest - I'm not sure there's a hitch-mounted rack out there that doesn't need to be at least partially folded down in order for the lift gate to open. About the only way I could see around this would be to use an extender tube on the hitch receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to say probably not. I have a Sherpa 2.0 and a Curt hitch (so not OEM and thus lower), and the Sherpa definitely needs to be at least partially down in order for the lift gate to open. To be honest - I'm not sure there's a hitch-mounted rack out there that doesn't need to be at least partially folded down in order for the lift gate to open. About the only way I could see around this would be to use an extender tube on the hitch receiver.
Thanks for the info on the sherpa. I also have an original sherpa that we use on our other sedan which I might occasionally use on the MDX.

I did find a thread somewhere that someone said the lift gate will clear a 1up 2-bike rack folded up. But, I am kind of partial to Kuats and don't really love the look of the 1up. Also, right now, I can get 28% off Kuat product so it is significantly cheaper than a 1up.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've taken bicycle racks to my local welder to fabricate solutions for things like this. Most likely I would either extend a hitch permanently to clear, or put a bar in a tube so that I could pull a pin, and then slide it out a ways to clear, pushing it back when done. Probably figure a way to add a door motor defeat switch that could be flipped to the off position so the hatch couldn't be accidentally raised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did find a thread somewhere that someone said the lift gate will clear a 1up 2-bike rack folded up. But, I am kind of partial to Kuats and don't really love the look of the 1up. Also, right now, I can get 28% off Kuat product so it is significantly cheaper than a 1up.
I know people have praised the 1up left and right, but I just can't get into it. Granted, I've never used one, but like you I just don't like the look.

Honestly, if you really want to set it up so you can open the lift gate without lowering the NV, I'd get something like this. I can't guaranty it'll work, but I'd think it would....

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use a Thule tray rack and can open the tailgate without dropping the rack. But I am able to adjust the tray position on the rack, allowing me to set the distance between the bikes and the car. The Thule tray rack does have a lever that allows the rack to tilt down if needed.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts