Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I can't speak to that specific unit... I've never heard of "Kobra" and I'd be wary of connecting cheap Chinese electronics to my vehicle.... The FakeSpot grade is also a concern, to me.

That said, the MDX does support OBD-II, so any standards-compliant OBD-II code reader (including bluetooth dongles) should connect and work with the MDX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6CZ0SQ?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=7ad0b10c427a11e89d1e0640c0794e280INT

Will this work on a 2003 MDX? I have a few bucks to spare and I thought this tool could be helpful someday.

TIA.
Mine looks just like that except it is another brand. The label is the same color and everything. I bought it maybe 10 years ago for another car and it works just fine for the MDX and plenty of other cars I have owned. Pretty sure a majority of them are all the same, just relabeled.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have bought several Foseal OBD / Bluetooth units, which work great on multiple vehicles, using a Torque Pro app (highly recommended) and a Droid phone (I think the only thing the Torque Pro app will run on). I just did a quick scan on Amazon, and didn't see them any longer. That's kind of a shame because they're only about 1/2 the depth of the unit linked above, so it doesn't hang down under the dash, where it could be bumped by the driver's knee, or on entry or exit. It's a bigger issue on some other vehicles I own (where the OBD socket is located even more in harm's way).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. I recently got the "A/T Temp" warning light while going uphill during a 40-mile drive. Do these OBD scanners provide a way to monitor tranny temperature while driving?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I recently got the "A/T Temp" warning light while going uphill during a 40-mile drive. Do these OBD scanners provide a way to monitor tranny temperature while driving?
Transmission temperature is available on the CAN bus. There are scanners that will read this data, but most cheap OBD-II scanners do not.

If you want to see a real-time display of the transmission temperature in your vehicle, something like the ScanGauge II would be a good option. They're about $160 and you can display various metrics in real-time. It also mounts easily in the vehicle.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Transmission temperature is available on the CAN bus. There are scanners that will read this data, but most cheap OBD-II scanners do not.

If you want to see a real-time display of the transmission temperature in your vehicle, something like the ScanGauge II would be a good option. They're about $160 and you can display various metrics in real-time. It also mounts easily in the vehicle.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
I have read from various posts on the web that CAN was not available on 1st gen MDX, so can only use ISO-9141. If this is true, does anyone know the PID for reading ATF temp on 03 MDX?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts