Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Just to get a good understanding, what gas are you putting in the car? The manual suggests 91 octane or higher and only use lower if it's absolutely necessary. Reason being is because the lower octane gasses are more prone to predetination, which would cause knock in the engine.

· Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to get a good understanding, what gas are you putting in the car? The manual suggests 91 octane or higher and only use lower if it's absolutely necessary. Reason being is because the lower octane gasses are more prone to predetination, which would cause knock in the engine.

Always 93 and it doesn't matter when I switched brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,389 Posts
If that sensor was bad the engine would not even start.... That sensor is a failsafe designed to keep you from destoying your engine, if that sensor is bad the ECU wont even allow the engine to start.

To get to that sensor is a real pain in THE royal ass. As it sits beneath the intake runners

Also do not confuse the Knock sensor as to something that detects a Knock sound... The knock sensor is designed to Sense for early Detonation. It wont do anything if you have a bad piston rod.

· Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that sensor was bad the engine would not even start.... That sensor is a failsafe designed to keep you from destoying your engine, if that sensor is bad the ECU wont even allow the engine to start.

To get to that sensor is a real pain in THE royal ass. As it sits beneath the intake runners

Also do not confuse the Knock sensor as to something that detects a Knock sound... The knock sensor is designed to Sense for early Detonation. It wont do anything if you have a bad piston rod.

That what is I just learned after reading on the internet. It just a sensor or a detecting device. Is that true with the pressure oil sensor or switch?

· Registered
3,389 Posts
No, If you have a bad oil pressure sensor you will only get a limp mode at most.

· Registered
268 Posts
Always 93 and it doesn't matter when I switched brand.

Lucky 93 people... I only get 91...

But at least you can feel good about your fuel not being the problem!

Skirmich, is it possible to use a scan tool that would read the knock sensor? For instance, if the engine is knocking, yet the car still runs, but the sensor is still doing it's job? Sorry if that's worded poorly...

· Registered
3,389 Posts
I am sincerely not that educated in electronic diagnosis, I never liked it nor I am equipped to do so.. I leave that to the dealership..

I know about the knock sensor diagnosis becuase of the famous "Mice Nest" that is prone to happen on the intake runner area of the J Series.. So I know one of the symptoms is that the engine will not crank. Honda made the "mice tape" specially for that knock sensor cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.