Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 MDX bought used a few years ago. My BlueDriver code reader is telling me I need to replace the knock sensor. I can hear the pinging. I bought the part from O'Reilly's and checked a bunch of mostly useless YouTube videos. I have an idea where the sensor is -- my question is this: Can I access and replace the knock sensor from underneath the car? Has anyone ever done that? Is it more difficult than removing everything from the inside the bay (which scares the crap out of me)? I'm not experienced at all when it comes to this...funny thing is that I used to work on multimillion dollar semiconductor manufacturing tools no problem, but repairing a $5000 vehicle - far more difficult.

If anyone has a video on this would be most grateful if you could share. I watched as many as I can find on YouTube. For knock sensor replacement, there are next to no decent videos. Even a few decent photos would also be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It's really not nearly as bad as you might think. It's pretty much the precursor to doing a valve adjustment (something that you should consider while doing this, along with replacing the spark plugs - assuming both are going to be due before TOO long).

The "hard part" (which really isn't, IMHO) is removing the intake manifold. Just take each part separately, keep the hardware segregated. That way, when you're doing replacing (for example) the throttle body, you should be out of the associated hardware for that section.

This should help:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too was unable to find decent video but you get the jest from the ones that are out there. The diagram happy guy has provided will get you through the replacement just fine. 2hr job taking your time.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The knock sensor can be accessed through the runners of the lower intake manifold. I used wobbly extensions and socket to extract. In my case I had to replace the sub-harness (rats) from KS to wiring harness. I managed to break the knock sensor when removing the electrical connector w/ extended needle nose pliers so had to replace KS.

Make sure the fault lies in the KS and not wiring. For some reason, rats, mice, and squirrels love wiring (soybean based plastic).

good luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’ve done a few without removing intake. I take off drive belt and remove power steering pump. Knock sensor and chewed subharness is right there. No worrying about leaky intake gaskets. Done in under an hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts