Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am trying to find the location of the knock sensor in 2007 MDX. I am getting the P0325 code which I believe must have been as a result of rats chewing up the knock sensor harness. Please help me out with photos and instructions on how to change the harness or the sensor.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You are asking a lot of specifics... Knock Sensor is not a regular Maintenance DIY part so unless somebody did a DIY on it when something went bad there is very little info to go with specifics for the MDX..

What I can tell you is that the knock sensor is located below the intake manifold runners as it has been for many years on the J Series Engines.

The Harness will have to be FIXED because the Knock Sensor wire comes from the Engine MAIN HARNESS.

You can use this 3rd Gen TL Video as reference as its showing the location of the Knock Sensor, It is on the same place than our MDX

Reactions: Desiel

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Incidentally, Acura offers a product to prevent this from happening again: Rodent-Deterrent Tape (P/N 4019-2317).

After repairing or replacing the harness, wrap some of that tape around the affected area. It's laced with capsaicin :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I fixed P0325 code this weekend. The failure was the same as everyone else, a rat ate the wire.

The new harness came with rodent-deterrent tape. The original harness also was taped in the same way. I found traces of the original tape. The issue is the tape gets toasted by the heat of the engine and come off with time becoming an easy target for rats looking for water. So, soon or later mice will eat the new harness again.

The odometer is 132400 miles now. Next time I do valve adjustment, around 200K, I will check the harness and reapply the rodent-deterrent tape as preventive maintenance. Plus, I now have the two original harness terminals that I will use to reconstruct the harness. Even though it is pricy, I bought the special tape (P/N 4019-2317) not knowing the hardness was already taped. So, I can quickly make a new harness protected with the rodent-deterrent tape.

Damn rats.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is harness made of special material? Seems that other harnesses are not sampled by rats that often. The tape is pretty expensive. Is there any other way to protect that harness? Would heavy wrap with Gorilla Tape prevent rats?

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is harness made of special material? Seems that other harnesses are not sampled by rats that often. The tape is pretty expensive. Is there any other way to protect that harness? Would heavy wrap with Gorilla Tape prevent rats?
Definitely, Gorilla tape will not stop them. He would have better luck if we can get some stainless steel armored wire.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The Honda rodent tape is industry standard, Most dealership carries them even on Ford, Toyota, Nissan etc... Honda is the leader in this stuff.
The rodent tape is made of a special material which burns rodent mouths stopping them from trying to chew-up more of it. Gorilla Tape wont do much if anything just slow them down a little bit, Sadly the location of the Knock Sensor is very attractive for mice to create a nest. Get the Honda rodent tape and don´t look back, Might be expensive but will save you a HUGE trouble later down the road.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Incidentally, Acura offers a product to prevent this from happening again: Rodent-Deterrent Tape (P/N 4019-2317).

After repairing or replacing the harness, wrap some of that tape around the affected area. It's laced with capsaicin :)
Pepper Spray the existing harness. No need to buy capsaicin laced tape. :surprise: :grin:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yeah, if the tape is laced with capsaicin, pepper spray might work. Even better, Walgreens has this kind of capsaicin patches for pain relief,

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-capsaicin-hot-patches-topical-analgesic/ID=prod3876062-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku3874911&sst=11745dee-66a3-4ca3-bf66-ca1c51d07755&reactjs=true

I am wondering whether these will work. Easy to apply and won't evaporate. It is just that the sensor is in a very hard to reach place. I shall do this when I clean egr etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts