Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2016 mdx to the dealer because I was having a warning light say “Emissions System Problem”. The dealer said the knock sensor was bad and that it would be $840 to replace. That seems crazy to me but he said it would take 4 hours to replace it since it is hard to get to, which is why it is pricey.
Does anyone know if it would be cheaper going to a non-dealer mechanic? I am not handy so I wouldn’t be able to do it myself. Or has anyone else had this problem? Just curious if it was a similar cost to repair.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just took my 2016 mdx to the dealer because I was having a warning light say “Emissions System Problem”. The dealer said the knock sensor was bad and that it would be $840 to replace. That seems crazy to me but he said it would take 4 hours to replace it since it is hard to get to, which is why it is pricey.
Does anyone know if it would be cheaper going to a non-dealer mechanic? I am not handy so I wouldn’t be able to do it myself. Or has anyone else had this problem? Just curious if it was a similar cost to repair.
Call your local Honda dealer and ask them for a quote. If its cheaper, take it there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Aren’t the emissions systems covered under a longer warranty?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
No, our warranty just ended at 4 years and 50,000 miles.
i don’t know where you are located. In the US there are federal emission warranties. You may want to check that out In your warranty book. Some parts may be covered up to 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dealer service prices can vary widely for the same job. so shop around just like you would if you were buying a car.
A Honda dealer will service your Acura too, and often cheaper than what Acura offers.
Dealers will always be the most expensive place to service your car so it would be wise to get estimates from independent shops too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds about right at 4.0 hours labor

Emissions is 8yr 80k miles on certain parts like catalytic convertor, PCM,etc

Dealerships cost more yes but your getting a piece of mind from Acura experienced techs and backed by the dealer if anything goes wrong or breaks, etc...

Where are you located?

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my town, I have at least 2 Japanese specific independents that are reliable and very affordable compared to dealer prices. If I were you I'd do a search for some similar near you and check of the "real" reviews of them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If I were you, I'd be calling multiple Honda and Acura dealers within a 100 to 200 mile radius for prices. Eventually you will find one that is more reasonable. Then ask your local Honda or Acura dealer if they can match or beat that price; if not, then you would have to go to the dealer that quoted you the reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 MDX Elite SH-AWD (White Diamond Pearl)
8 Posts
I am not sure if the newer J series have their knock sensor at the same place as in my Saturn Vue's Honda J engine, but if it is, it is a joke to do it yourself. I did it within 5 hours and that included changing all spark plugs and adjusting all of the valves as well.

However, if you cannot do it, the price quoted is high. Sure the mechanic needs to remove all of the intake manifold and fuel injectors to reach that damned sensor. (see my photo below to see where the sensor is located, under the white encircled manifold and injectors) But under 3 hours it can be done...

Once the manifold and injectors removed, one can change the knock sensor.

These knock sensors breaks easily because the plastic heats up a lot due to its close proximity to the high heat area of the engine block.

Either way, get many quotes, as it is not long at all to do this, a good mechanic can do it within 3 hours. 1 hour 29 minutes to reach the sensor, 2 minutes to change the sensor and 1 hour 29 minutes to put everything back. The part is very cheap under 35$, so that's not the reason for a high job cost, undoubtedly not $840. Lower than that cost you can find.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I

If I am not mistaken, there is a separate federally mandated warranty for the emissions control systems. I'm sure the knock sensor is part of that. I think it is for 8 years or 80k miles.
Thank you for reiterating what I said in post 6.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Who is going to drive 100-200 miles away to get this job done just to save a hundred bucks?? And if you do and next day find out fuel is leaking or check engine light comes on what your going to drive 100-200 miles back to the dealer to have them refix it??
Makes no sense.

And if your shopping around just for the cheapest price you WILL get what you paid for.
Hack job by an inexperienced technician at the corner repair shop that will do the job for 1/2 the price and have fuel or vacuum leaks afterwards?

Also just because a good tech can do it in 2 hours they are not going to charge you for 2 hours, its a flat rate fee of $840
meaning it doesn’t matter how long the Acura tech takes to do the job he can do it in 1 hour or 8 hours he will still get paid the same pay and you will still get charged the same $840 fee.

Do it yourself? Sure it’s possible,
just beware when you pull those
direct-injection injectors they don’t hit your face because 600psi fuel injectors will go thru your skin and out the other side.

Oh sorry if you like to take a trip to NJ I will replace it for you for only $400...send me a PM

·
Registered
224 Posts
Who is going to drive 100-200 miles away to get this job done just to save a hundred bucks?? And if you do and next day find out fuel is leaking or check engine light comes on what your going to drive 100-200 miles back to the dealer to have them refix it??
Makes no sense.

And if your shopping around just for the cheapest price you WILL get what you paid for.
Hack job by an inexperienced technician at the corner repair shop that will do the job for 1/2 the price and have fuel or vacuum leaks afterwards?

Also just because a good tech can do it in 2 hours they are not going to charge you for 2 hours, its a flat rate fee of $840
meaning it doesn’t matter how long the Acura tech takes to do the job he can do it in 1 hour or 8 hours he will still get paid the same pay and you will still get charged the same $840 fee.

Do it yourself? Sure it’s possible,
just beware when you pull those
direct-injection injectors they don’t hit your face because 600psi fuel injectors will go thru your skin and out the other side.

Oh sorry if you like to take a trip to NJ I will replace it for you for only $400...send me a PM
Agreed. And who really has time to drive 200 miles in a leap of faith to save that $100??

Every year I set aside around $1K for this type of unplanned car crapola. Still waiting for the rogue year that I get lucky to actually spend it on something fun! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts