Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm able to secure another (non-programmed) Remote Entry Thingy, does anyone know how to program it from either one of the two that came with the MDX (one for Mem 1, one for Mem 2)?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It needs to be programmed at the dealer, and you need to bring your other 2 existing ones as they all have to be programmed at the same time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've attached instructions for programming a remote for an Odyssey which I believe should work for the MDX also. I found these instructions on odyclub.com site and they look like the same instructions to program a CRV remote I've in another site.
There's been some talk lately about "oooooo, how do I buy a new remote transmitter? I can't buy it from ebay or online or whatever, because the I won't be able to program it and will have to take it to the DREADED DEALER!"
It's time these programming instructions made it into the tech section. Here's how to take any EX remote transmitter and program it to your own Odyssey:

1) put key in ignition, and turn ignition to ON

2) press any key on remote

3) turn key to OFF

4) turn key to ON

5) press any key on remote

6) turn key to OFF

7) turn key to ON

8) press any key on remote

9) turn key OFF

10) turn key ON

11) press any key on remote. You should hear the power locks clunk.

12) Within a few seconds, press any key on remote again.

Voila.

This is probably a Honda standard. They've used a similar, and probably identical, procedure since the first CRV in 1997.

So go ahead, get that extra remote transmitter mail order or from ebay. You won't have to deal with the dealer just to program it. Honest. (In fact, you're not programming the remote unit at all; you're programming the receiver in the Odyssey so that it responds to that particular remote.)

Also, if you go to the following site and click on installation instruction for keyless entry for LX, you'll find additional instructions for programming a Honda remote.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvelect.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds simple enough!
So why do you need all of the other remotes around while you do this?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Oops - Brain Fart

Just checked the service manual...Lausy's right...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well thats some lausy directions :D Sounds simple enough, first one who is successful attempting the programming please post your results :cool:

TECK!

·
Registered
43 Posts
lausy said:
I've attached instructions for programming a remote for an Odyssey which I believe should work for the MDX also. I found these instructions on odyclub.com site and they look like the same instructions to program a CRV remote I've in another site.
There's been some talk lately about "oooooo, how do I buy a new remote transmitter? I can't buy it from ebay or online or whatever, because the I won't be able to program it and will have to take it to the DREADED DEALER!"
It's time these programming instructions made it into the tech section. Here's how to take any EX remote transmitter and program it to your own Odyssey:

1) put key in ignition, and turn ignition to ON

2) press any key on remote

3) turn key to OFF

4) turn key to ON

5) press any key on remote

6) turn key to OFF

7) turn key to ON

8) press any key on remote

9) turn key OFF

10) turn key ON

11) press any key on remote. You should hear the power locks clunk.

12) Within a few seconds, press any key on remote again.

Voila.

This is probably a Honda standard. They've used a similar, and probably identical, procedure since the first CRV in 1997.

So go ahead, get that extra remote transmitter mail order or from ebay. You won't have to deal with the dealer just to program it. Honest. (In fact, you're not programming the remote unit at all; you're programming the receiver in the Odyssey so that it responds to that particular remote.)

Also, if you go to the following site and click on installation instruction for keyless entry for LX, you'll find additional instructions for programming a Honda remote.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvelect.html
I just bought a new remote because my original was all scratched up. I followed the above instructions... works like a charm! Thanks Lausy.
Incidentally, I bought the remote brand new off of e-bay. I paid $32 for it plus $2 shipping. The seller seemed to have plenty in stock in case anyone is interested. If you want the seller's name, e-mail me and I will try to dig it up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dave, glad to be of service. Least I could do since you were the one that suggested the platium bulbs which I love.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I WOULD buy a new remote, but it wont look as nice as the one the dealer gave me :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
-=Ice-T=- said:
I WOULD buy a new remote, but it wont look as nice as the one the dealer gave me :p
Actually, the replacement remote is IDENTICAL to the original remote. Gunmetal two-tone silver with the big Acura "A" logo on the back. You can even chose remote 1 or remote 2 for the linked seat position function.

·
Registered
681 Posts
On the original dealer supplied remote, there is a sticker stating L1 or L2, meaning driver 1 or 2. It is purely for visual identification purpose, not any relation to which linked seat position. My question is: does the new repote unit also have the sticker and you can choose which one to attach to the remote?

FengMD,

Can you provide the name of the supplier, e-mail so the rest of the board can make use of it when needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tdnone said:
On the original dealer supplied remote, there is a sticker stating L1 or L2, meaning driver 1 or 2. It is purely for visual identification purpose, not any relation to which linked seat position. My question is: does the new repote unit also have the sticker and you can choose which one to attach to the remote?

FengMD,

Can you provide the name of the supplier, e-mail so the rest of the board can make use of it when needed. Thanks.
tdnone:

The "L1" and "L2" are actually little graphics for the seat followed by "1" or "2". If you have memory seats (ie touring package) each remote is linked to it's respective memory position (1 or 2). After disarming/unlocking with either remote, the chair will be positioned to that remote's memory position when you open the door. Even if you do have memory seats, this function has to be activated on the remote by pressing "lock" and "unlock" at the same time and holding. When the little led flashes twice that means the memory function us unlinked. When it flashes one long flash, the memory function is linked.

If you do not have memory seats, then I guess the above is all academic!

The email for the individual that sold me a brand new remote
is:

[email protected]

I was able to chose which one I wanted.. memory 1 or memory 2. The remote is an OEM identical to the remotes that came with the car.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks, FengMD. I have the touring model and knew how to erase and set up memory seat. The real question I have - and perhaps not making quite clear - is whether the newly bought remote come with a choice of sticker L1 or L2 (seat 1 or 2). The only way I can differentiate the two sets of ket/remote is by looking at the sticker on the remote (since the key are identical). We both do not include any other keys with the 'DX key chain and want to keep the set simple by not adding anything else. Just curious for the time being since bot sets are still looked prettery new.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, when I won the auction on e-bay, the seller offered me the option of driver 1 or driver 2 remote. When it arrived, sure enough it had the little "1" on the back identical to the original remote. When you program a new remote using lausy's instructions above, the remote automatically sets itself to the appropriate memory seat function (i.e. my replacement remote was for driver 1, when i programmed the remote, it set itself to the linked function with memory position 1).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Should I be able to use these instructions to teach my MDX how to use my TL remote? It is not working for me.

It would be great to use the same remote for both cars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MHarnois said:
Should I be able to use these instructions to teach my MDX how to use my TL remote? It is not working for me.

It would be great to use the same remote for both cars.
MHarnois:

I don't think the MDX learns to use the remote. I believe that the remote learns to control the MDX. Maybe once a remote has been programmed, it can not be reprogrammed to another vehicle (maybe there is some way to reset it). Anyway, I don't think the remotes are equipped to control two different cars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tdnone said:
Thanks, FengMD. I have the touring model and knew how to erase and set up memory seat. The real question I have - and perhaps not making quite clear - is whether the newly bought remote come with a choice of sticker L1 or L2 (seat 1 or 2). The only way I can differentiate the two sets of ket/remote is by looking at the sticker on the remote (since the key are identical). We both do not include any other keys with the 'DX key chain and want to keep the set simple by not adding anything else. Just curious for the time being since bot sets are still looked prettery new.
TDNONE:

One option for you is to buy a new Honda remote. They work the same, and can be programmed exactly like the original Acura remotes. They are all black (for newer models). This way you can tell which key belongs to who from across the room. You can even buy a driver 1 or driver 2 remote and maintain the linked memory seat function. I've seen several of these on e-bay. Check out

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=honda+remote

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I may have to go with the color coded remotes too. Black (Honda) for the black MDX and Silver (Acura) for the Silver TL. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MHarnois said:
I may have to go with the color coded remotes too. Black (Honda) for the black MDX and Silver (Acura) for the Silver TL. Thanks for the suggestion.
I just ran a search on e-bay for "acura remote" and there are a few black remotes out there. Before the nice silver Acura remotes came out, the Acura remotes were black just like the Honda remotes. This may be your best bet since the black Acura remotes should also easily program to your MDX. Just to be on the safe side... maybe you should call the dealer parts department and double check on all the compatibility issues. Just make sure that whoever you talk to knows what they are talking about!

Check out:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=acura+remote

1 - 20 of 53 Posts