Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Key remote sometimes not working

21K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  gerardo.dh 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2018 MDX in November. It is going well except that sometimes the remote doesnt work and the car doesnt start (and I need to wait few hours until it starts working again). The remote is in the car but it says no remote detected (it does NOT say the battery low or something like this). This has happened only 2-3 times since November. Should be mentioned the battery was brand new when I got the car (replaced by Acura). Also, I checked the remote battery and it seems to be good (the voltmeter showed 3V).

Any idea what is happening here?

Thank you,
Soreh

#2 ·
Is the issue happening with both fobs or just one (both fobs might be an issue with the MDX, one fob only might just be that fob)? I would try a fresh battery first. One of my 18 RLX fob batteries only lasted around 18 months and I replaced both at the same time (had the warning in the dash for my fob). Changing out the battery is all Acura will do and send you on your way.

Reactions: Soreh
#3 ·
Thank you for your reply. It has only one fob so I dont know what would happen if I had another one. While I am here, let me ask you this question too: will leaving the fob inside the car (while the car is in my garage) drain the car battery? Have you ever had this problem? Few days ago the car didnt start and I had to boost its battery. After that I realized the fob had been left in the car for 3 days and the car was never used during that time.

#4 ·
I know the current Acura fobs do transmit more because of welcome lights and door/hatch lock/unlock features. Probably the reason why the battery life is around 18-36 months on average compared to my older Acura fobs that lasted +5 years. There might be an additional signal being sent once the fob is within the vehicle for the push button start and disabling the door auto lock feature. I've noticed with the lockdown, my 18 RLX and 19 MDX can only sit for about 10-14 days before I get 12v system low voltage warnings compared to my 11 MDX that can sit for weeks/months without issue.

Personally, I keep my fobs out of range from the vehicles once I get home. It can be a PITA when I sometimes misplace the fob or having to get the fob everytime I need something from the vehicle.

Reactions: Soreh
#5 ·
Sorry to bring this back to life, but I’m having the same problem and wonder if anyone ever experienced it and know if it’s fixable easily?

I’ve installed fresh batteries in the past six months, but they’re just cheap no-name batteries from a huge tractor supply multipack. Happens with both fobs, and both have these fresh batteries. Sporadically it doesn’t detect me near the car, doesn’t respond to button pushes on the fob (no lights even) on either fob until I use the physical key to open the door then put the fob directly next to the start button on the dash. Then both fobs starting working. This is what makes me think it’s not a fob battery issue.

TIA!

#6 ·
I have the same problem with my 2022 ASpec. I had the remote starter installed and those two fobs are incredibly unreliable. There’s no rhyme or reason as to why they don’t work and I haven’t had the car more than 3 months. The fobs that came with the car have no issues, which makes me believe it has to do with how the remote start fobs were programmed. It’s so unpredictable I can’t replicate it for the dealership, so I may take a video the next time it happens. If I get a solution I’ll let you know!

#9 ·
I am having nearly identical issue. I replaced batteries on both fobs a few months ago (after low battery alert). It worked fine for a few months, now suddenly it sporadically doesn’t detect the fob, won’t open doors, start, etc. it happens with both fobs. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I haven’t gone to the dealer yet.

#10 ·
Some had issues with fob batteries running low too fast when they kept the fobs too close (or even in) the MDX at home.

#16 ·
This is happening to me too. 2024 MDX A-Spec. Happened twice within 6 weeks of ownership. Fob is the non-remote start version. Don't know if it happens with the 2nd fob as I didn't have it with me on both occasions. When this happens, I use the app to unlock, standing there stupidly for 10 seconds while it responds. I even checked for software updates, but it seems to be on the latest version. I hope this fix this, as I can't have a fob this unreliable. I've never seen this issue on my prior cars.

#17 ·
I’m on my 3rd set of fobs and it continues to happen. I’ve kept the fobs away from my cell phone because I was convinced that was causing it and they still disconnect from my car. Bring it to the dealership and they will swap out your fobs but it may not solve the issue, as I’m experiencing. I feel like there’s a bigger problem here that has yet to be discovered, I’ve never had this issue with any other key fobs in the past. At least more people are experiencing this, maybe Acura will look into it greater than just replacing fobs.

#18 · (Edited)
This is happening to my 2015 MDX AWD Tech as well. These days more frequently than before. Usually happens early in the morning when I go to work. I have to press a button on the key fob to open the door and place the key fob near the start button to start the car. It I live in northern California and we don't get really cold here.

#19 ·
Similar issues with my 2016 MDX. I have to change the fob battery about every three months. I never get a dash warning light, it just doesn't work properly. Usually it shows up as the drivers seat not moving to the memory position automatically. Occasionally I have to hold the fob next to the start button to get it to start. Sometimes the sensor lock on the door handles wont work. I'm sure it's all the same issue but don't know what it is.

#20 ·
I had the same issue and even the dealer put a new battery, “dealer battery “ , but same thing. All my issues with the fob started when my car battery died and replaced. This is insane that Acura can’t fix something like this. By the way, this is not a fob battery issue, this has to be programming issue.