Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fob was accidentally flushed down our basement toilet which is connected to a sump pump - as luck would have it that flush activated the float and the fluid in the barrel was discharged.

I gave it a good try yesterday evening but I came up empty and being that it was Valentine’s Day I had to abort.

Today I spent more time assuming there is no way the pump was able to suck up the fob and I didn’t want to take the whole piping system apart (just yet) so I attempted to use a magnet with an extendedable arm (one used to recover bolts dropped in an engine bay) thinking the key ring that I just put on there for the ski rack is ferrous. I opened the small access door to the barrel and went fishing and I came up with them after about 5 minutes.

I opened it up and didn’t see any mositure, in the attached picture there looks to be a water damage indicator dot, it’s still white.

Does anyone know if this is an actual water damage indicator?

I have the fob apart and have it air drying but there was no moisture except for where the key was and that was only a little but it’s a completely separate compartment from the fobs electrics.

I will change the battery

Should I cover the board in rice or let air dry?

When I retrieved it I accidentally hit a button and the led flashed but my wife has the car now so I cannot test it until later this evening.

Fun stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've tried to recover multiple wet electronic objects (I'm a diver). I would suggest going to Michaels or a comparable store, and getting a package of the dry silica (Walmart may have? JoAnn fabrics?) that they use to dehydrate flowers for storage. Open up the key fob, and place it in a sealed container with that stuff. I usually leave cameras in it for 2 days to a week, but for a small fob, one day should be good.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How are you going to disinfect that?

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are you going to disinfect that?
Don’t ask, Don’t tell.

Luckily we a have loose rule of no number 2 in that room so it wasn’t that bad but yeah. Lots of sun, air and bleach mixes.

I am just super happy I recently put on a key ring otherwise the magnet wouldn’t have worked and I’d have to open the whole thing up.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried to recover multiple wet electronic objects (I'm a diver). I would suggest going to Michaels or a comparable store, and getting a package of the dry silica (Walmart may have? JoAnn fabrics?) that they use to dehydrate flowers for storage. Open up the key fob, and place it in a sealed container with that stuff. I usually leave cameras in it for 2 days to a week, but for a small fob, one day should be good.
I found a similar product for wet closets. I’ll put in in that but it looks dry.

I can’t find the battery anywhere local CR2032

·
Registered
25 Posts
2032's are pretty common. Check Home Depot. Maybe see if you have a Bulbs and Batteries store local (used to be Batteries Plus). A lot of gadgets use that type, like 3D glasses, etc. Maybe Best Buy?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok. I had to check my calendar because I thought maybe it was April 1st. You can't leave us hanging like this... How did it end up in the toilet?

Also, because I'm long out of warranty, and a little bit warped, I just opened mine up and put water on the white dot. It turned pink.

PS.. You think the cr2032 is hard to find... Try finding replacements for rear entertainment system remote (br3032 If I recall correctly). I finally paid $10 each (Cdn) at the Acura dealership for 3 of them.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I was expecting to see a 'how-to' video with your arm snaking into the toilet.

For the FOB - since you already have it apart, just stick it where the sun shines (as opposed to the opposite - sort of where you stuck it before) and let it air dry. I wouldn't bother with the desiccant - the air and sun should do or if you live in cold country the dry indoor heat should do.

The CR2032 battery is ubiquitously used and available almost everywhere. My Home Depot has them and most drug stores and groceries have them also. It's a 3v button cell lithium battery. I even designed them into some circuit boards I once designed.

Since you saw the LED flash on the FOB when you hit the button I think it'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Best buy has a deal for big pack of cr2032s for like 7.99 right now. Some will probably die quickly but for that price (vs like 17.99 for 6 energizer), might be tolerable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On how it happened - I had the driver 2 fob in my zip-up hoodie pocket from moving the cars earlier and normally hang it back up but I was running around and after a few cocktails and some wine, I sort of made an odd motion flushing where the inertia of my body may the fob fling out of my pocket and right into the bowl.

My wife said the same thing about the DIY video. She was surprised I wasn’t filming all the snaking, hanger and hooks fishing and finally what did it was the telescopic magnet tool.

So that white dot is a water damage indicator- great to know. So it’s fairly water resistant so long as it not deep pressure. Also great to know.

I tried CVS / Target / Ace (local places) - lots of 2025 or 2016’s - I took a drive to Walmart and they were out too but then the lady said to try by jewelry and they had a few there.

I’ll follow up on how it went once I can test it

Thanks all!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sounds crappy...good luck. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've put a fob through the wash with my salt encrusted bike jersey a couple of times. It still works. Pretty impressive resistance to environmental toxicity, actually! :grin:

But I'd skip the bleach in your disinfection protocol; it's highly corrosive. There really isn't much to the fob internals, so as mdxstang suggests, a healthy dose of sunlight and fresh air should be sufficient.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The FOB is WORKING!

It was under “water” for about 10 hours and no damage or moisture entered at all. I
Put in a new battery today, reassembled the fob and it worked no problem.

Phew! I dodged an expensive (dumb) replacement part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've put a fob through the wash with my salt encrusted bike jersey a couple of times. It still works. Pretty impressive resistance to environmental toxicity, actually! :grin:

But I'd skip the bleach in your disinfection protocol; it's highly corrosive. There really isn't much to the fob internals, so as mdxstang suggests, a healthy dose of sunlight and fresh air should be sufficient.
Actually, I would also choose the washing machine route rather than the toilet. Seems like a more effective way to to clean a fob.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I once went swimming with my fob. It wasn't until some little kid in the pool handed it over to me asking if it was mine. I almost crapped my pants since we were on vacation about 300 miles from home. Luckily I was able to start the car and everything worked just fine. I found out later on that electronics on these fobs are water proof. Next time use rice to extract moisture, it works wonders ;)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I once went swimming with my fob. It wasn't until some little kid in the pool handed it over to me asking if it was mine. I almost crapped my pants since we were on vacation about 300 miles from home. Luckily I was able to start the car and everything worked just fine. I found out later on that electronics on these fobs are water proof. Next time use rice to extract moisture, it works wonders ;)
I ran a fob in the washer. It still works. This was for a different car. They all hold up pretty well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts