Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My main key fob broke and has a crack after it fell. How do I fix the crack should I use plastic glue ...?something that melts the plastic and bonds together? I heard replacing these are expensive.

I also have a spare key (driver 2)with the battery replaced .... Light blinks in it when pressed.But car didn't recognise it.How to make it recognise and basically start the car?

Pls advice see pics...Thx
Kris
This is main working key, cracked case in top left corner:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Obviously the spare key did not come with the car. Assuming it's compatible,the dealer will have to program it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You could disassemble the working fob and use JB Weld PlasticWeld or something similar to repair it. Replacement fobs are expensive, and IIRC all fobs for a vehicle have to be programmed together.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If there's just a crack but the parts of plastic are pressed tightly together, you could just hit it with superglue which will bond it extremely strongly in a few seconds and is cheap and easy to use - just don't get it on your fingers. It's easier to use that JB Weld for something like this although I'm a JB Weld epoxy fan for many other types of uses.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there's just a crack but the parts of plastic are pressed tightly together, you could just hit it with superglue which will bond it extremely strongly in a few seconds and is cheap and easy to use - just don't get it on your fingers. It's easier to use that JB Weld for something like this although I'm a JB Weld epoxy fan for many other types of uses.
Thx much.

Overall Will superglue bond well or JB weld epoxy?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Some plastics are generally very hard to glue, odds are you'll make a mess and it will interfere with the button operation. I'd look for a case on eBay or one of those silicone covers I saw the other day.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If aftermarket cases are available, that would certainly be easier. Otherwise, I think a permanent repair would involve mending the defect, then sanding/scraping/dremeling the case until the buttons work. Maybe super glue would hold in one pass, but it looks like maybe there is a void ( material missing ) in the corner, and superglue won't bridge voids. There are special super glue kits with a cleaner/activator for plastics.

Or slap a case or some tape over it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
After you glue it back together you should consider buying a soft rubber case for it. They are available on flea-bay in many colors to exactly fit the OEM key fob. This will protect the fob from this sort of damage as well as hide the repair.

As another poster pointed out, the 2nd fob isn't the factory original for the 3rd gen MDX. I wouldn't waste the time or money trying to get it programmed, because the programming is more expensive than the fob. If you are going to pay for the programming then go with the proper fob first. Big locksmith shops have the equipment to program fobs, for less than the dealer charges. Their fob prices are usually closer to flea-bay than dealer as well.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts