Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 MDX with 56,000 miles and a warranty that is good until next October. I have never had any real problem with this vehicle ... the worst was a few erroneous messages regarding my fuel tank. My tires and battery are about 10,000 miles old.

This summer, we plan to re-make the 4500 mile trip that we've done twice before (in 2014 and 2016).

My question: should I be confident that my MDX will make the trip without any major problem? Or, should I trade it in and take a new MDX.

I hesitate to subject a new car to the wear and tear or a very long trip.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How can we know? you must be the only one that knows the maintenance records and service procedures of your MDX...
You are asking if an old car just because of the mileage can make that trip? Mileage has nothing to do with how long your MDX can drive its really bound to how good you have maintained it.

I have no problems to say my MDX will make that trip no problems at all and I have 103K.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Keep it.

If it's the base with tech model, the stealership will offer you $17,250, if you're buying another vehicle.
You'll have to negotiate their offer up to $18,250.

You can sell it on autotrader, for a couple grand more than the dealer offers you.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Also getting a new car is no warranty of making that trip.. Last video I saw of a Colorado ZR2 Diesel it failed after just 400miles brand new.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I'm usually around 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year on my MDX. I just got back from a 3700 mile trip from NM to OH a few weeks ago in my 11 MDX with +107,000 miles. In the last few years, I've gone to LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville, FL, with not a hint of an issue.

It just going to be filter, fluids, and maybe tires for you until the 105,000 miles service. My RDX and TSX both have around 145,000 miles each and I expect to get +200,000 each before I think about trading.

If you are still worried about your MDX, you can always rent a SUV for the trip only. I did this a few times in the past before I purchased my first SUV.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
It has been religiously maintained by the dealer ... everything done there (Libertyville Acura - north of Chicago)
Then you should have no issues what-so-ever...
When doing a very long trip I usually:

1.- Inspect tires (I try to calculate if my tires will last for the distance I will travel) If tires wont make it I buy new tires.
2.- Oils condition (I only travel with brand new oils).
3.- Check spare tire condition (Ive seen quite a few donuts with cracks on the sidewalls).

Just those 3 check ups unless something is overdue to be changed.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I'm usually around 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year on my MDX. I just got back from a 3700 mile trip from NM to OH a few weeks ago in my 11 MDX with +107,000 miles. In the last few years, I've gone to LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville, FL, with not a hint of an issue.
That is impressive. I can handle at most 9 hours of driving each day. After that I am totally wasted. How can you manage so many long drives is beyond me. In fact, I just came back from Death Valley/Las Vegas area. When my kids talk about Yellowstone recently, I am scared haha.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ I feel you, I don´t find the MDX seats comfortable for long serious drives...
I am mostly destroyed by the 5 hour mark, My TL-S is by far hands down more comfortable than the X.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
That is impressive. I can handle at most 9 hours of driving each day. After that I am totally wasted. How can you manage so many long drives is beyond me. In fact, I just came back from Death Valley/Las Vegas area. When my kids talk about Yellowstone recently, I am scared haha.
Yellowstone is on my list also. Planning to hit Yosemite around May on my way to Fresno for a college track meet for my kid. I take a lot of breaks and like to sightsee along the way (all about the journey). The wife and I usually tag team the driving and 8-9 hours per day is about our max also with 2 drivers and up to 12 hours with a 3rd driver.

I find the MDX has more comfy seat compared to my RDX or TSX. Everyone is shaped differently.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Cheaper to keep her. I would have every confidence in driving my 08 that far and it has over 135K. You're good for another 100K easy especially with the maintenance you have had done.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to drive anywhere in my 11 MDX, nor my 02 MDX for that matter. I know how they have been kept up, and I know their history.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
I took my 08 MDX from TX to FL without any hesitation when she was 128K. Well maintained, these cars are reliable.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If you have not changed your radiator, I won't be so confident. Look at those radiator failure posts, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I can't believe this conversation is even happening. MDX is a very reliable vehicle with very few known problems. Perform decent maintenance, treat them properly, and they'll last a very long time. I run the vehicles in my biz fleet to at least 150k miles and break downs are extremely rare. I'm sure most folks here would gasp at the thought of these mostly domestic vehicles lasting without tons of problems, but it's just not the case. I have older gen Explorers with 200k-240k miles that are still very reliable. No reason in the world a well maintained car with only 60k miles is likely to have problems.

A 2011 may be due for a timing belt very soon though, so take that into consideration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.