Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating whether to sell my 08 w/ tech. It currently has 90k miles and is now a 3rd family car that I'm only driving ~2k miles per year. If I were to sell, I'd just rent a van when I need it. I'm trying to figure out how long the car will last if I decide keep it. Is this car something I could keep for another 10 years or will expensive parts start to fail due to age (vs lots of miles)? It's been well maintained and doesn't have any issues at the moment. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You have a big 105,000 mile service coming up that can cost you $800-$1500 depending on what needs to be done by you at home, local shop, or dealership. Once that service is done, it is just routine maint of mostly fluid changes and the occasional unexpected wear/tear part replacement like an alternator, worn suspension parts, bluetooth module, or battery cable for another +70,000 miles. My feeling is to either sell now before the 105K service OR do the service and just keep the MDX a few years more.

I ended up keeping my 06 TSX with +100K because my kid was starting to learn how to drive in H.S. and the TSX was in 10X better shape and safer compared to any used car for the same $$$. He is now in his sophomore year in college with +140K on the TSX and he absolutely loves this car. It was also nice to have 3 cars in the family when we had to take one to the shop or if everyone needed to be someplace different at the same time. The MDX still has 2X the mileage still left in her if you just do the routine maint.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
As mentioned by mrgold
The only BIG spend you are looking at is the Timing Belt Service at 105K. Other than that if you keep up your maintenance the MDX is a 200K car for sure, You might stump at some minor issues down the road but nothing like the wallet breaker that it is the T-Belt Job. If you have a good house mechanic he can do that for less money but if you rely only on the dealership? well its a 1-1.5K$ service.

You decide.. For the depreciation of the MDX and those low miles I sincerely think is not worth it.. The 2G MDX is a solid car with no trans issues so you will be letting go a reliable car for not a lot of money.

If the car has become useless (As is, "I drive my other cars more than this") I don´t think its viable to keep paying maintenance and keep up if you are no using it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think 07-09 MDX are great. 08-09 are even better b/c Acura gave them more options. I am tempted to buy a couple more of them for my kids. The price is already close to $11k for a nice condition used one. Honestly, mine is not very different from what it was 11 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts