Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new to me '13. 44,000 miles CPO. Was considering the K&N drop in. I had been using Wix in past vehicles. This being a higher compression engine, will this be beneficial?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Its all really snake oil the OEM Filter is oversized as it is, I am using the K&N on my 07 and I felt no difference in Power.
Why I bought it? Because it makes a lovely sound once VTAK Kicks in and its washable and I have cleaning kits from my other K&N Vehicles so its a Win-Win at least in my case.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Reactions: trunk monkey

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I've performed oil samples (on other vehicles) with and without K&N filters and I'll stick to without. Not a HUGE difference but the K&N always allowed more silicon (dirt) and resulted in elevated wear levels. Not outside of reasonable levels, but I just don't see enough of an advantage to bother when even slightly more internal wear is likely.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've been using K/N drop-in filters for all three of my Acura and I have a combined 365,000 miles between all three. I don't use any oil between changes on the TSX (137K) or RDX (139K). My MDX (89K) always uses about 1/2-2/3 quart of oil between 7500 mile changes. I also use Mobil 1 oil on all three.

Reactions: trunk monkey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the info. It seems there are some strong opinions for and against.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've performed oil samples (on other vehicles) with and without K&N filters and I'll stick to without. Not a HUGE difference but the K&N always allowed more silicon (dirt) and resulted in elevated wear levels. Not outside of reasonable levels, but I just don't see enough of an advantage to bother when even slightly more internal wear is likely.
Scientific proof is always better than perception. I go with oil lab results of silica contamination.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had them in past vehicles and I honestly didn't feel any change in performance. The only slight benefit I could see would maybe not having to pay for new filters. That said, I wouldn't buy another one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
K&N filters can an usually do filter less than the OEM filter. They also usually do flow more air. The questions are:

Does the size and amount of particulate matter going into the engine do any actual damage? No engine breaths perfectly clean, pure air.
Does the potentially extra airflow benefit the engine in any way?

For a drop in filter, the typical answers are: A well oiled K&N will offer enough filtration to mitigate engine damage. And... The airflow benefits are not realized by the engine in a way that justifies the potential decrease in filtering.

Intake systems that open and smooth the air path and move the intake opening away from the hot engine can have some performance benefits in many vehicles.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Case in Point my 2G TL has been using a K&N Filter for the past 150,000 Miles with no issues... Last time I check its still pushing 250whp with several mods and compression up to spec and is now sitting at 220,000 Miles.

What ever small particles the K&N Filter lets through is inconsequential since the oil is protecting the engine. I have cleared Mobil 1 EP changes for up to 15,000 miles on the same engine per Black Stone Labs analysis but I usually keep it at 10K (Year round). I would not read that much into K&N Filter Performance, Engine Syn oil has come a long way now to easily compensate.

The MDX is one of those cars that have a very Large OEM Filter for the application..
They even reduced its size for the 2010-2013 model, The 2007-2009 has a Bigger Filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts