Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a K&N filter in their MDX? I had on in my old Integra and it seemed to help the fuel economy. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with it in the MDX.

WL

·
Registered
396 Posts
I put one in. Not sure if you'll notice any difference, but it surely is better than stock. Will save you money in the long run. Go ahead and get it. My motor rocks with it, and super smooth. Got 9000 miles to date. Get the flter and only use synthetic oil and you cant go wrong.

BTW, I also have an older integra, but with no airbox and cold air intake. I would like a bit more growl on the MDX like on my HB, but with just a filter change, the sound is the same as stock.

I guess now I hit 200. Somewhat of a milestone, but far from being a power user.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gto-dave,

What did u pay for the filter? Did u buy locally or on-line?

·
Registered
818 Posts
K&N Air Filters

I have a K&N Air Filter for both my 2000 3.2 TL and 2001 GG MDX. I ordered both of them from www.macromotive.com. The total cost for both was $98 and that included shipping.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I swear by them. I always change to a K&N at the first oil change. I don't know why I wait, but I usually never have the time to do it until that first oil change anyway...

There is a SOTP difference that can be felt. Is it in my head? Maybe. I know, for example, that performance stickers are good for at least 30HP;)

But seriously....K&N is money well spent.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I've used them in just about every car I've had for the last 10 years. They are what an air filter should be.
But like any product that has been out for more than 30 years, little rumors creep in that the K&N was responsible for an engine swallowing a valve, or that it allows dirt to enter the engine at an alarming rate.
I had a rather brief discussion on this forum with one such individual that said that some BMW enthusiast group and also a well knowed bimmer super tuner and Mercedes, the company, would not approve it's use in their vehicles.
They thought the amount of particulate matter allowed by a K&N filter was unacceptable.
I turned around with evidence off the web of several racing teams and Renntech (the CEO previously worked for AMG, who supposedly banned K&N use) was selling power induction kits with K&N filters installed.
The evidence against the filter is so poor and vague, and often by parties that are promoting another filter, that in one case turned out to be a Germam brand using the same oil/cotton medium technology. I would not use a paper filter more than 15000 miles, so why keep replacing when I can spend $45 one time for a permanent one, and besides it is the only way to get the cool decals! ..and it does filter better as it is used more, where a paper one only becomes less effective and more restrictive.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It should be made clear, however, that a K&N is not maintanance free. Every 15 to 20K miles I take it out and clean it using the K&N cleaning and oiling kit. Takes all of 10 to 15 minutes...but you gotta do it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
K&N filter size

What K&N filter does the MDX use. Went to buy one and they had no idea which one would fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts