Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed one in my '11 X. Noticed a 2 mpg increase. Regardless, it will pay for itself after two filter changes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anyone have one installed....Any noticable difference???

turboflyer1
I used to run one on a turbo diesel, and the turbo whistle was much louder, did not see much if any increased performance, and there were conflicting reports on whether OEM filter or K&N filter as to which one did a better job filtering, I eventually switched back to stock. With the K&N, you clean and re-oil, there have been some reports of oil coating the intake, (not good). I figure if the K&N was better, the factory would have put them on the X, I would recommend sticking with the OEM Honda filter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to run one on a turbo diesel, and the turbo whistle was much louder, did not see much if any increased performance, and there were conflicting reports on whether OEM filter or K&N filter as to which one did a better job filtering, I eventually switched back to stock. With the K&N, you clean and re-oil, there have been some reports of oil coating the intake, (not good). I figure if the K&N was better, the factory would have put them on the X, I would recommend sticking with the OEM Honda filter.
I have to disagree with your last comment. its simple. manufacturers can simply produce a decent part for relatively cheap, compared to if they went through another company (example k&n) would be more costly and not to speak not worth it for an air filter. they go with other brands like for stereos, wheels, BBK, etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah, the study I read at the time did not show any benefit in filtering with the K&N and I really did not like the chance of the oil being sucked into and coating the intake

·
Registered
78 Posts
Know matter what any one says about the K&N filters i have seen many tests and a K&N filter showed all the others filters up Greatly. They are the best on the market by me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Everybody has a different opinion on the K&N filters. It is used widely in all vehicle and motorcycle racing with no issues.

I have used it for 25+ years in motorcycles and vehicles. I used them, too, on my last Mercedes SUV's and never had a MAF failure ( 108K miles on one and 112K miles on the second), while many people with the OEM paper filters had one or more MAF failures. I felt better hard acceleration with them, but that is just my pants sensor.. but it worked for me.

You always have to follow the cleaning instructions and never over oil the filter. Always follow the cleaning intervals too.

The principle is simple. Similar to when there is heavy smoke situation(small particles), you can use a gauze moist with water and the water will trap small particles very effectively while letting air pass thru easily.

Old cheap paper filters were the cause of sensor failures in the past, but they have improved in quality, but you always need to make sure you get good quality materials. Though air paper filters are a huge business and with large marketing power and will always do whatever they need to maintain their profits.

For the owner, it is more of a convenience and price issue. If you buy a paper filter, then you don't have to clean it. If you buy a K&N filter, you need to clean it yourself and save some money.

Performance wise, the K&N filter is always going to have a maximum air flow. If you get a good quality air filter, it will be at best similar to the K&N, if you don't get a good air quality paper filter, then your air flow will be less and your engine may not get the full airflow it may need during hard acceleration or constant acceleration.

Sometimes it is the factory air intake system that limits the air flow and an air intake kit will improve the air flow and engine power.

At the end it becomes a personal issue, either you like it, you feel it, or not...

My personal $0.02 cents..

AC

·
Registered
308 Posts
AC,

Are you using one on your 2011 X and if so, what are your observations? Thanks:29:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Not yet. I know dealers don't like any non-OEM modifications, so I was waiting a little longer before I install a K&N filter. I am going to buy it and test it around as soon as I can.

A problem I had with my old Mercedes SUV's is that when I took it for service (past 50K mile warranty), and I forgot to take out my K&N filter, they will replaced it for a paper filter. When I went back, they always told me it was too late and that they already had disposed of my K&N filter.. :)

My second Mercedes SUV was a V8, and frankly, I could feel the low rpm 320 lb-ft torque come alive with the K&N, and I could hear the engine breath/groan a lot better. On the V6, it was not much difference, but the Mercedes SUV was only 230 hp and 10.0 engine compression ratio.

The Acura MDX engine uses 11.0 compression ratio, 300 hp, and 270 lbs-ft, so it has to breath a lot of air to perform. As a note, my Acura 2011 MDX is faster than my former 2005 ML 500 V8 (0-60 mph wise), though the V8 had more torque (which does not mean faster but it is nice for towing).

After reading all this discussion about K&N, I think I will go ahead and try to see if I can get one this weekend. I wonder what store around Houston carries the K&N filter for the MDX

AC

AC,

Are you using one on your 2011 X and if so, what are your observations? Thanks:29:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey MDXer's thanks for all of the constructive opinions. It's great to have a fourm where we can offer opinions and nobody gets bent out of shape....Put a K and N in the X and notice a little more umphf....Faster throttle response....waiting to see if fuel economy increases.....

Turboflyer1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey MDXer's thanks for all of the constructive opinions. It's great to have a fourm where we can offer opinions and nobody gets bent out of shape....Put a K and N in the X and notice a little more umphf....Faster throttle response....waiting to see if fuel economy increases.....

Turboflyer1
glad to see you are giving it a go. I installed one in my civic nearly 100k miles ago and had no issues. I currently have ~170k miles on my civic and it still runs great.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Any issues with the oil playing havoc with the MAF? The MAF on my 2001 Maxima was over sensitive and so if I didnt let the filter drain all the oil out before putting it back in, the Maxima would go into limp mode....I wonder how the MDX is wrt to oil based filters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts