Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonder can you not accept a car from the dealer because of orange peel? My X has it and its noticeable, most cars have it now a days. Do you just have to cope with it. And the only way to get rid of it, is to wet sand which marginally decreases the clear coat thickness. So Will the dealer let you not accept the car?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think if you just paid the deposit for the order, can reject with no reason. that is what my salesman told me, 100% refundable. (around DC metro)

but dont know if you bought the car already...:(

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't think I understand your question

ace3 said:
I was just wonder can you not accept a car from the dealer because of orange peel? My X has it and its noticeable, most cars have it now a days. Do you just have to cope with it. And the only way to get rid of it, is to wet sand which marginally decreases the clear coat thickness. So Will the dealer let you not accept the car?
What do you mean by "will the dealer let you not accept the car?".....what's the context?... :confused:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ace3 said:
Personally I think finishes on some competitive vehiciles like Toyota/Lexus are superior besides having a greater variety of color choices.
Orange peel is more prevalent on the MDX than I think it should be for the class of vehicle.
Once you start treating the finish with a good polish, especially Zaino, the orange peel will not be as noticeable.
Another option is to find a highly regarded body shop to color-sand the finish. This will make the clearcoat thinner, but if they know what they are doing, and you keep the finish protected with regular polish/wax sessions, it should be fine. It will look fantastic, especially if it's a darker color.

·
3,109 Posts
Whats orange peel?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Orange peel results from an imperfect application of the clearcoat at the factory. It gets its name from its resemblance to the textured surface of an orange. To the eye, it may still be shiny, but the paint has not laid truly flat after it was sprayed. It can be caused by being sprayed from too far away, from paint that is too dry (not enough solvent to let it lay flat), or from environmental conditions to name a few.

So, give your new X a good visual inspection before you sign those papers and don't hesitate to bring any blemishes to the attention of your dealer.

It can be sanded out, very carefully, and rebuffed to yield a more mirror-like, shiny surface. Do not try this at home!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ace3,

You stated that "your X has orange peel". If it is "your X", then I think that you already accepted the vehicle.

Unless the orange peel is really bad (really, really bad), then I think this is a battle that will not be won.

·
3,109 Posts
Thanx, I was not aware of the phenomenon before but I think I can picture what it is.

...so when this occurs, is it all over or just in a few spots? Is there a particular section it seems to occur more on the MDX? Where should I look first?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Orange peel is most noticeable on vertical panels (aka, the sides). Look @ reflections, and not the color of the paint, and you'll see it (lines in reflections won't be straight). The OP should be consitent all around. In fact, if it isn't, one of those panels was probably repainted ;)

Virtually all production cars today have it - to some extent. Lexus and Toyota are better than Acura/Honda - less orange peel and better quality paint in general on the Lex/Toyo. MB varies by model. The ML sports horrendous orange peel.

You *could* refuse delivery on a car w/OP. But the next one out of the plant has it just the same...and like srpbep says, if you already have the car, it's too late. And I doubt you're gonna convince a dealer to wetsand a brand new car when the OP is characteristic of pretty much every production car out there -- and certainly of every Honda.

Do a search for "orange peel" and a few threads will pop up -- including pictures so you don't have to close your eyes and guess :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
zafer,

Another item ... In my experience, Orange Peel is far more noticeable on darker colors:

White will show it less.
Silver will show it less.
Black will show it the most.

I also really agree with TheWorm, the paint finish on Honda/Acura paint jobs tend to be "not as good as Toyota/Lexus". And this is probably being very generous to Honda/Acura (for once, I'm trying to be nice!!).

I really don't know if the paint quality is less though. I don't doubt TheWorm, but I don't have knowledge/experience on the quality of the paint itself.

·
3,109 Posts
....well, besides a fuzzy imperfect reflection, is there any harm to it? should I really be concerned about it? :confused:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
zafer,

You've got the picture. There is no harm in orange peel other than appearance.

While, I wouldn't own a black car because of maintenance work needed to keep it looking good, I really believe that there is nothing prettier than a black car:

** With a really great paint job (e.g. perfect finish).

** Car is clean.

** Car has 7,234 coats of wax which looks about 1 mile deep.

Gotta be one of the prettiest sites on earth .... IMHO

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
srpbep has it right. There's no longevity issue to OP paint. It just doesn't look as good.

Our Lexus GS is black, as is the X. Side by side there's no comparison -- the GS blows away the paintjob on the X. Minimal OP on the GS.

Like I said, it varies from brand to brand, model within brands, and I presume even on where the car is manufactured/painted.

And of course I agree, nothin' looks as good as a clean, waxed black car. For the entire 30 minutes it manages to stay that way :)

Here's a pic of the X where you can see the OP. Look @ the reflection of that grey Jeep parked across the street. Notice how it's sorta pixelated?

Here's a pic of the GS. Not an entirely fair comparison, since this is the trunk (and horiz panels don't have as much OP as vertical panels) but it's reasonably representative of the rest of the car. Also the GS isn't clearcoated nor is it metallic like the X, which might make a difference. Note the clarity of the stopsign.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
TheWorm,

** The MDX pic didn't make it.

** Geez, the finish n shine on the Lexus is awesome.

** I thought all the Lexus finishes were clear coated !!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Thanks for the compliment -- the Lexus shine is cRaZY :) Car's 3 yrs old and NOT garaged.

Try a reload or right-click-show-pic on the X if it's not showing. Could just be slow; it's hosted @ attbi rather than locally.

Lex black '00 and earlier had no clear; not sure after that, tho.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
TheWorm,

Saw the MDX pic tonight ... simply no comparison in finishes between Acura and Lexus (picture is worth a thousand words) ... that Lexus is not garaged? ... are you yankin' on my chain ... unbelievable

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
srpbep said:
that Lexus is not garaged? ... are you yankin' on my chain ... unbelievable
Yup, sittin' in the driveway. Too much baby gear and still-unopened toys in the garage, so only the MDX gets shelter...in part because the MDX is owned and the GS is leased ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
TheWorm,

The MDX looks good but the Lexus looks is just unbelievable.

How often do you wash/wax the thing?

Since the MDX is owned and the Lexus is leased, I gotta guess that you spend more detailing (waxing) time on the MDX.

:6: :6: :6: :6:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Been slacking on the washes. Every 3 weeks or so lately. Gets Z'd every other time, usually.

Both get about the same treatment. Partly b/c it's easy to do both @ once. Partly b/c the GS looks sooooo good that you just wanna keep it that way. I *always* get asked if it's new. If someone's not asking that, they just ask "*what* do you use on that?" :D Doesn't happen as often w/the X unfortunately. Part of it's because there's no metallic in the GS paint, which IMO gives it a deeper look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts